Dinner time!

11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #227633 by shelland
As a hobbyist, I was pumped when I lucked out and got this shot. I have been trying to get one of these blue herons (I think that's what it is?) for over a year, and have never gotten close enough to get anything decent before scaring them away.

Yesterday, I totally lucked out. This was in a small pond a few miles from our house. I happened to bring my camera along just in case one of the birds was there when I drove by on my way to trusty Target. I drove by and didn't see any. Turned around to head back toward Target and saw it tucked in a corner when driving back by. I sneaked to the edge of some tall grass and got some pictures from one angle, which I was already excited about (even though they weren't great). Then I walked behind some trees and tall grass, and slowly slid out the other side, which was a closer angle.

I snapped some pictures, which I was elated to finally get. Then this happened right as I was shooting a set in burst. I literally filled my card 3 pictures after this.

I haven't tried to do much with the color yet, I was just pumped to completely luck out to not only get the bird at all but then have this happen while I happened to be shooting. I'm no editing whiz - not sure if I'll be able to tame the white of his head and also lighten up the fish at all? (I have LR3)

I know it's far from perfect technically, but I'm excited none the less. :) (when I right click on the image in my album, it won't give me the direct URL to embed it here)

www.photographytalk.com/photo-galleries/...19115#photoid=200966

BTW - he lost the fish. The next picture in the burst, he is empty mouthed...

Scott

- Twin Cities, MN

11 years 11 months ago #227642 by Baydream
Wonderful capture. Well done.:cheer:

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago #227644 by robbie
Guess that was your lucky day...congrats!

11 years 11 months ago #227659 by bluesydude
Cool shot! Got to be quick on the shutter button for those shots! :0

Focused on photography
Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago #227664 by shelland
I was literally in the middle of shooting it just standing there in burst when it suddenly went under. The shot immediately before this one is his head under water. This was the third shot in a burst series of I believe five.

If I had been waiting for a shot like this (not that I could have anticipated this was about to happen), I'm sure I would have missed it. I wish I could claim skill, but this was pure luck. But I'll take it either way! :)

Scott

- Twin Cities, MN

11 years 11 months ago #227674 by mclayton
Amazing shot! Very nicely done.

11 years 11 months ago #227681 by CWphotos

shelland wrote: I was literally in the middle of shooting it just standing there in burst when it suddenly went under. The shot immediately before this one is his head under water. This was the third shot in a burst series of I believe five.

If I had been waiting for a shot like this (not that I could have anticipated this was about to happen), I'm sure I would have missed it. I wish I could claim skill, but this was pure luck. But I'll take it either way! :)

Still...you probably sensed that it was about to act...and just the fact that you were persistently following the bird earns you a 'KUDOS' from me! :thumbsup:
( I followed a great white egret along the edge of a lake, stepping over cypress roots, ducking under branches, and in a stooped position for about an hour one morning. I watched it swallow at least ten little fish, as it weaved in and out of knees, and thought about giving up! Finally...my chance came, and I was pretty sure that I had the timing right to catch its 'catch' before it swallowed. I was doubly rewarded when I got my prints back ( long time ago! lol ). To my delight, the egret had TWO in its beak! )

What you are is so loud, I can't hear a word you say!
11 years 11 months ago #227728 by John37
Sweet shot!! Right place at the right time for sure! :thumbsup:

"The most endangered species? The honest man!"
11 years 11 months ago #227735 by bhowdy
Wonderful image ... It's always fun to have your wildlife photography persistance rewarded. I have found that feeding birds will be more interested in catching their meal than they are in the photogrpaher, as long as you allow them some space. Press them too hard and they are "gone."

I have many photos of waders feeding and with their catches ... each one is very gratifying. Next up for you is the classic bird photographer's holy grail. It's known as the "flip" .... this is where the bird flips the fish, crab, worm, frog, etc down it's gullet .....

I disagree with the comment about "right place / right time" when you have been working to get a shot for a while ..... Sometimes that happens, but many times it is effort being rewarded.

I offer a shot of a Brown Pelican "flip" to help explain my earlier comment .... and not to "high jack" your topic.

Congratulations on your fine capture!

Bob Howdeshell

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" ~ Lewis Hine

Attachments:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024