butterflies....need some constructive critisism

11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #252170 by twiggy2151
Hi all....I am fairly new to dslr's and would like some feedback on my photo's....pretty much to see if I am heading in the right direction lol....I keep my camera in manual mode, I am just not happy with auto...I graduated from a panasonic lumix pocket camera (which I just loved! great little camera!) to a canon t2i, the lens I used for these is the 50mm 1.8...I am just loving this camera....taking great (well I think they are....maybe not lol) photo's is so much easier now....I think my panny taught me alot! thanks for taking a look and pre thanks for any advice!!

The following user(s) said Thank You: MajorMagee
11 years 7 months ago #252175 by pinoldy
Beautiful series Twiggie!

I like the way you've caught the play of light in the second photo.

Also like the shot color in the shot of two butterflies. And it's gotta be pretty exciting to catch two in one frame!

The following user(s) said Thank You: twiggy2151
11 years 7 months ago #252176 by twiggy2151
thankyou.....I have been trying to catch there wings like stained glass......#2 is my fav. too...the funny thing is it is the plainest butterfly that visits my yard..I am not sure what kind it is....It is brown with two eye spots,,,thats about it....the pic with the two butterflies was totally unintended. I was framing a lone monarch, and right when I hit the shutter another one came in and attacked it...it all happened in a split second, right when I pressed the button luckly, right after they were over my head fighting....turns out most butterflies are aggressive...hummingbirds too! thanks for the compliments!!

11 years 7 months ago #252179 by icepics
You got some lovely photos, nice compositions. I particularly like the ones with some purple and blue in the background, the blue and orange being complementary colors helps make the butterfly stand out. Isn't it cool when that happens? - that you get the right circumstances just when you release the shutter.

Sharon
Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago #252189 by Baydream
Wonderful shots. The only suggestion i might offer is to try different crops to work on the rule of thirds. I not not like the term RULE of thirds but rather a GUIDELINE of thirds. Start there and then work to break the rules.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago #252210 by twiggy2151
yes I need some help with composing....I think I understand the concept of the thirds rule, I just seem to have a difficult time composing shots like this, and usually end up with what looks pleasing to my eye....now I have something to work on! instead of just taking pics I am going to explore the thirds rule more! thanks for the advice! and yes icepicks, I just love it when the unexpected happens and it works! I didint have a chance to refocus the top butterfly, so I got lucky that it took as good as it did..... I think I was shaking after I took that shot, I couldn't get to review screen fast enough to see if it worked! I even caught a bumblebee cruising through in the top of that shot...he is hard to see but I like him! thanks again everyone!

11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #252478 by nedward50
:thumbsup:
These are great. In my experience you need to be very patient to get a good butterfly. Especially with a 50mm lens. I did some recently and you struggle to get close in so the subject fills the frame and if you crop em to get in, there's degradation and sharpness issues.

I planted some Buddleja, in the garden so I could practice. It was popular this year (for about 2 days when the sun shone) they love the nectar.

Hope you don't mind me posting an example this was cropped to make the butterfly bigger in the frame. Really need to buy a 100mm macro or the like.

Thanks for sharing your pictures

Cheers
Ned

Attachments:
11 years 7 months ago #252483 by sree2472
Very excellent shots :judge: :judge: :thumbsup:

former senior writer cum features editor for Diamond World - a trading magazine for the gem and jewellery industry
11 years 6 months ago #253340 by twiggy2151

nedward50 wrote: :thumbsup:
These are great. In my experience you need to be very patient to get a good butterfly. Especially with a 50mm lens. I did some recently and you struggle to get close in so the subject fills the frame and if you crop em to get in, there's degradation and sharpness issues.

I planted some Buddleja, in the garden so I could practice. It was popular this year (for about 2 days when the sun shone) they love the nectar.

Hope you don't mind me posting an example this was cropped to make the butterfly bigger in the frame. Really need to buy a 100mm macro or the like.

Thanks for sharing your pictures

Cheers
Ned

I have 10 buddleia in my yard. I have so many bees and butterflys it is mind boggling, more bees than butterflies though..it is scary when trying to dead head them though lol..the bees for the most part are docile..thank god! It is hard to get close to butterflies..how I do it is I just stand still close to the bushes, they don't reallize you are there when they fly in, they eventually get used to you. What kind of butterfly is that? We sure do not have anything like that around here...that is gorgeous! Thankyou for the compliments! Thanks everyone for the compliments and advice!

11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #253368 by MajorMagee
You did a great job.

Sometimes you can tell a story with a series like this. Look Out For The Praying Manits

11 years 6 months ago #253491 by Provo
Looking at them from this angle I would say they look really good to me
:judge:

PROVO

11 years 6 months ago #254291 by AmyatV
These are awesome! Butterflies are one of ,y favorite things to photography - I am lucky to live near a butterfly house at the Durham Science Museum.

You should enter the monarch pics in Viovio's Orange-tastic Photo Contest!

www.viovio.com/contests/327

11 years 6 months ago #254303 by twiggy2151
thankyou for the compliments! I will for sure check out the contest tonight! Thanks for the invite

11 years 6 months ago #254642 by BrandyMaeD
First off, let me say that your shots are STUNNING! From the lighting, to the colors, to the concept. I think you did an excellent job! Your photos are clear and crisp and again BEAUTIFUL! I think you have it down. I don’t think you are headed in the right direction, I think you are there. GREAT JOB! Breathtaking...

11 years 6 months ago #254646 by Screamin Scott
The closer in ones are nice, but it's hard to fill the frame using a 50mm standard lens...Butterflies (unless large) & smaller critters need need you to use at least a 100mm macro lens (as Ned said)...I've got 4 different macro lenses from 55-135mm in focal length & use a 105mm the most
....Here's a shot I took today of a Gulf Fritillary butterfly...

The butterfly

& the caterpillar ir comes from

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
Attachments:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024