How many MP will the D4/D800/D400 have? (LET'S SEE WHO'S CLOSEST)

12 years 10 months ago #110352 by Stealthy Ninja
With the D4/D800/D400 all rumoured to be released soon. I thought it would be fun to bet on/guess what the MP will be for each camera.

So lets get our guesses out here and see who's the most correct when they come.

Here's mine.

The D4 will be about 24MP because Sony are bringing a sensor out soon (for the new Alpha I suppose) that is 24MP. The D4 will share that sensor, but be better in high ISO than the Sony. It will probably match the ISO of the D700. It will also be able to shoot in a smaller RAW file (around 11.5MP)

D800 will have the same sensor as the D4 but will come later.

D400 will have a similar sensor (if not the same as) to the D7000. So it will be 16.1MP

That's my guess.
12 years 10 months ago #110355 by Scotty
D4=16-18 MP (18 prob) To Either match canon's 1d mark 4.

They'll want to keep the MP low and not go into the 20+ territory to show off they're extremely high ISO with no noise.

D800=Will go head to head with the 5d mark 2. 21-24 mp, probably 24. ISO same or a little better than original d700.

D400-I don't care, i'll say 16 mp.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #110398 by Stealthy Ninja
Honestly I hope you're right and I'm wrong.

Anyway, whatever they do, I hope the high ISO and (for me personally) the video are great.
12 years 10 months ago #110471 by Shadowfixer1

Scotty wrote: D4=16-18 MP (18 prob) To Either match canon's 1d mark 4.

They'll want to keep the MP low and not go into the 20+ territory to show off they're extremely high ISO with no noise.

D800=Will go head to head with the 5d mark 2. 21-24 mp, probably 24. ISO same or a little better than original d700.

I can't see them giving the 800 that many more MP than the D4. They seem to like 2 high end models as in the D3S and D3X. I can see them doing a D4 and a little later a D4X. The D400 will probably be the 7000 chip in a good pro-sumer body. Meanwhile I will trudge on with my old D200.
12 years 9 months ago #112467 by Scotty

Shadowfixer1 wrote:

Scotty wrote: D4=16-18 MP (18 prob) To Either match canon's 1d mark 4.

I can't see them giving the 800 that many more MP than the D4. They seem to like 2 high end models as in the D3S and D3X. I can see them doing a D4 and a little later a D4X. The D400 will probably be the 7000 chip in a good pro-sumer body. Meanwhile I will trudge on with my old D200.

Possibly...but look at Canon. The 5d mark 2 has more MP than their 1d series.

They usually boost higher ISO's and other features than MP with nikon, especially with their flagship series.

If they went say 24 mp, and left the d800 at 18...people would be bothered especially when you're bursting 24 mp pics.

They'll either be equal or the d800 will have more to compete with the 5d mark 2.

We'll see though.

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #112496 by Shadowfixer1
[/quote]Possibly...but look at Canon. The 5d mark 2 has more MP than their 1d series.

They usually boost higher ISO's and other features than MP with nikon, especially with their flagship series.

If they went say 24 mp, and left the d800 at 18...people would be bothered especially when you're bursting 24 mp pics.

They'll either be equal or the d800 will have more to compete with the 5d mark 2.

We'll see though.[/quote]

Maybe, but Nikon has doesn't seem to be interested in the megapixel race. The D3 and D3S are only 12.1. Canon cameras are usually the higher megapixel cameras when compered to the comparable Nikon.

The D700 and the D3 and D3s are all 12.1. That's why I don't see the D800 leaping ahead. I think they will leave that for the D4X.
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #112525 by Joves
Well I think as has been said the D400 will get the 7000s sensor but with some tweaks like better High ISOs, since they seem to be focused on improving that. I think with the upper end they are going to stay at sub 20 MP, unless they did some sort of eletronic alchemy with a higher MP sensor. I think in the 16MP range though. Nikon knows its users like the Higher ISO over the MPs so, I still think they will go on that road.

12 years 9 months ago #112530 by Scotty
Agree a lot with both of you.

It'd be great if they stayed at 12 amd went to an even more insane high clean ISO.

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #112564 by Shadowfixer1
Dynamic range is what they should be working on along with the cleaner high ISO's. I guess we are spoiled. i remember when I wouldn't shoot any film over ISO 100.
12 years 9 months ago #112570 by Baydream

Scotty wrote: Agree a lot with both of you.

It'd be great if they stayed at 12 amd went to an even more insane high clean ISO.

It would, but the marketing department would have a cow.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #112863 by Stealthy Ninja
What I want (but it probably won't happen) is this:

D4/D800 with 24MP.
Pixel Binning that gives you 12MP and dramatically increases the high iso capabilities (1 or 2 stops beyond the D3s... dreamin'?)

So you could shoot 24MP for landscapes and such, but when you want low light 12MP goodness (ideal for event photography, like the D3s is right now) you can have it.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024