Goodbye D70 .... Hello ??????????

12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #174282 by Baydream

McBeth Photography wrote: My D70 has decided to retire today. Shows an ERR message on upper screen and shutter appears to be stuck. Time for a new body anyhow, anyone know if this is a easy fix? Or should I scrap it and sell it for parts?

So looking forward, I'll probably have to sell some glass and some recently purchased film bodies to fund the purchase of a decent digital body. Any suggestions on bodies?

Found this article with some good warnings. Later in the article was a quick fix for the stuck shutter that worked. Who knows. Lots of comments with success stories.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #174297 by McBeth Photography

Baydream wrote:

McBeth Photography wrote: My D70 has decided to retire today. Shows an ERR message on upper screen and shutter appears to be stuck. Time for a new body anyhow, anyone know if this is a easy fix? Or should I scrap it and sell it for parts?

So looking forward, I'll probably have to sell some glass and some recently purchased film bodies to fund the purchase of a decent digital body. Any suggestions on bodies?

Found this article with some good warnings. Later in the article was a quick fix for the stuck shutter that worked. Who knows. Lots of comments with success stories.

I saw that too John, so I took the D70 to the camera shop and the estimate was almost twice the cost of buying another D70 in good condition. I got some Good advice from a friend there, get into a D200....more resolution and it meters with my manual focus lenses. Later, when I finish school I'll get a D7000 and have the D200 as a back-up body. Until then, I can use my F3HP or F2 or my wife's D60, so things aren't so bad! :)

It is what it is.
12 years 5 months ago #174298 by McBeth Photography

effron wrote: Noooo! The D7000 hands down. This is an instant classic......;)

Then D70 to Nikon at a later date, estimate not too bad, fix it and have it IR converted......

I like the way you think Effron! The D7000 is very much in the plans for me after I finish my apprenticeship and get a raise. Until then, I just need a light - tight box with some form of media inside. lol.

It is what it is.
12 years 5 months ago #174300 by McBeth Photography

effron wrote:

McBeth Photography wrote: lol. Patience is a virtue!

I totally understand this one, lol. I have seen and missed shooting so many sunsets while driving to night school, thinking to myself .... I just want to shoot something!

It is what it is.
12 years 5 months ago #174695 by rjag001
Hey dude firstly i shall like to know what was the err message.,so that i could provide u a solution for it.
Secondly,since ur shutter is stuck,as i havent seen ur camera,i think a gear isbroken in it which help to relase the shutter in shutter unit,it generally do cause beacuse ur lens may had generated an err hich u may be over looked and mistakenly press the click button which in result breaks the shutter gear.
now if such a problem is there then u may get ur camera to any camera repair expert and if u r in mumbai,india u can contact me,i shall look to the problem & try to fix it.
And do let me know what was the err & what thetechnician told u for the problem.
Regards & Bye...

The following user(s) said Thank You: McBeth Photography
12 years 5 months ago #174922 by John Landolfi
:woohoo: Bummer, Barry, It happened to my D1X, after I had already switched to a D2x. I keep the D1X to practice sensor cleaning. I use the D200 frequently, just because it is so nice. But maybe the D300, if you can swing it. See how least painfully you can decimate your equipment, and get a $ figure to start with.:cheers:

Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #175001 by Trilby
I have a D70 that still works, but there is something wrong with the files it's producing and no computer can read them. It had put in a lot of work though, and I wasn't really surprised. I eventually upgraded to a D300s, it is a beautiful, beautiful camera if you're looking to spend that much. The D90 is a nice little unit too, and in hindsight if I'd done more research I may well have opted for one of those instead.....

There is no black & white; it's all 18% grey.
12 years 5 months ago #175317 by Photobrad

McBeth Photography wrote:

Scotty wrote: Oh hell yes, get a d3s if you can swing it, if not go for a d700.

I think that I would love either one of those bodies but, I don't want to sell all my glass, lol. :)

why not go for a D300s :drool:

12 years 5 months ago #175357 by McBeth Photography
Well right now I need to budget for around $500, mainly because I don't want to sell most of my gear so I'm mainly in the market for a camera body that will be used for about a year then set aside as the second body when I get finished with night school. A like new D200 from KEH is probably what I'll land on, especially after seeing a few D200's available locally.

But for right now....studying for final exam is the priority! :)

It is what it is.
12 years 5 months ago #175400 by John Landolfi
Good choice, Barry! What subject are you studying? Good luck on the final!

Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #175411 by McBeth Photography

John Landolfi wrote: Good choice, Barry! What subject are you studying? Good luck on the final!

As part of my Maintenance Electrician Apprenticeship, I'm currently taking a course in troubleshooting single and three-phase motors and controls. Two more terms of night school and I am done with my apprenticeship and will be ready to test for my license! :)

It is what it is.
12 years 5 months ago #175442 by Scotty

McBeth Photography wrote: Well right now I need to budget for around $500, mainly because I don't want to sell most of my gear so I'm mainly in the market for a camera body that will be used for about a year then set aside as the second body when I get finished with night school. A like new D200 from KEH is probably what I'll land on, especially after seeing a few D200's available locally.

Little saving could get you the d300.

www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Digital-Camera-...-DN029991024630?r=FE

:X

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #175506 by McBeth Photography

Scotty wrote:

McBeth Photography wrote: Well right now I need to budget for around $500, mainly because I don't want to sell most of my gear so I'm mainly in the market for a camera body that will be used for about a year then set aside as the second body when I get finished with night school. A like new D200 from KEH is probably what I'll land on, especially after seeing a few D200's available locally.

Little saving could get you the d300.

www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Digital-Camera-...-DN029991024630?r=FE

:X

I would love to get a d300, it's just a too much for me right now since we're still paying for some lovely medical bills right now. As it is, I have to sell gear to get the money raised for the D200.
I don't want to sell it all.

It is what it is.
12 years 5 months ago #175529 by Stealthy Ninja

effron wrote: Noooo! The D7000 hands down. This is an instant classic......;)

Then D70 to Nikon at a later date, estimate not too bad, fix it and have it IR converted......

Yes, I agree. Skip the D90 and go to the D7000.

D3s is what you really want though. D700 is quite good too I hear. :banana:
12 years 4 months ago #175666 by icepics
A light-tight box with some type of media??! - I can loan you one of my box Brownies! :rofl:

I've done well with KEH. Good luck w/your final, keep plugging away, sounds like it will be worth the time and work.

Sharon
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024