1st time putting photo's up open for critique

5 years 11 months ago #360083 by Kell
img\def

img\def

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 11 months ago #360089 by Tuscan Muse
Great Kell!  I know the first time is kind of scary. :(    I like these, but the first thing that i noticed was the cropping of both images.  What made you decide to crop where you did?

5 years 11 months ago #360109 by Kell
Hi, thanks so much. I cropped the photo to try and tidy it up. I was wanting to get more of her in the photo. I was using a 50mm lense. I see now that yes it is a bit silly as her hand is missing and even the rest of her dress.

5 years 11 months ago #360111 by Kell
I just went and checked the original photo. Her hand has been cut out whilst shooting the photo. Wow!! Huge lesson learnt right there!

5 years 11 months ago #360131 by Leilanee
That first pic is adorable!  Love those eyes.  I'm okay with the tighter crop on that one, because the eyes seem to be the focus of that photo to me.
The second photo I would have framed slightly differently just so that finger isn't cut off... but otherwise, nice exposure and such.  Nice images!

5 years 11 months ago #360149 by Kell
Wonderful. Thanks so much. Learning so much already :)

5 years 11 months ago #360163 by KCook
#1 looks best to me.  Nice exposure and colors.  I would like to see a little more contrast.  This could be done either with lighting or in post.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

5 years 11 months ago #360167 by Kell
Should I be shooting in RAW to get better contrast etc..thanks so much for your feedback. This is wonderful :)

5 years 11 months ago #360211 by garyrhook

Kell wrote: Should I be shooting in RAW to get better contrast etc..thanks so much for your feedback. This is wonderful :)

If you prefer to let your camera make decisions on processing for contrast, exposure and color, by all means, do not shoot in RAW format.  As soon as you do, you've lost data that you may have used to your advantage.

If you want to create an image according to your vision, RAW files will provide the most flexibility. It also means learning to post-process in Lightroom, Photoshop, or similar application.

Photo Comments

5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #360213 by KCook
RAW offers more precise control over contrast than with a JPG.  Some folks are fussy about this, and some are not.  The better RAW editors also offer more flavors of tone control.  Unfortunately these better editors, such as Lightroom, are not cheap.  Links for more info -

www.photographytalk.com/forum/photograph...ead?start=120#155994

photographylife.com/mastering-lightroom-...-use-the-basic-panel

www.clickinmoms.com/blog/full-portrait-retouching-in-lightroom/

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

The following user(s) said Thank You: Kell

5 years 11 months ago #360343 by Leilanee
Oh, God...

Another wild RAW debate appears!  Go.. opinion!

I'm just going to throw it out there that I went FIVE YEARS without shooting RAW and some snobs laugh at me for that but I quite think my photos look damn fine thank you very much.  I shoot RAW now, but honestly I rarely even use my RAW editor, maybe because I'm not creative enough to really enhance my photos beyond my wildest dreams in photoshop, or maybe it's because I already achieve the look I wanted for the photo in-camera, and if I don't it's because it was a general flop and isn't something that can be fixed by recovery of "missing data" via under/over exposure or whatever else... it's because my idea sucked and I sucked at trying to portray it.

So do whatever you want, enter the slough of people telling you that I'm just a nut talking out of my ass and you should never shoot RAW, but I personally have only used a RAW editor to my advantage....

drumroll please....

once.
And I don't even remember when that was.

Yeah yeah, I'm stupid, apparently RAW is some deity I have not chosen to worship, and I guess my photos suck and have suffered because of my blind ignorance.

/rant

Now, ignoring my little outburst of annoyance at the inevitability of people telling you not to listen to me, that my opinion is wrong, and that everyone should shoot RAW ALWAYS (because RAW), if you're working in situations where the lighting just doesn't work to your advantage or you're trying to get a particular image but some factor isn't ideal in your environment, RAW can be handy.
I just usually avoid un-ideal conditions.  Maybe that's not realistic for professional paid photographers, but I dunno.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Kell

5 years 5 months ago #400906 by Travel Nut
Both good ones...I like #1 though....

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 III vs OM-D E-M5 II debate has raged for nearly three years. So which of these micro four thirds cameras is right for you? Find out in this comparison review!

Feb 17, 2020

In this Leica SL Typ 601 review, learn why this camera is still a marvel five years after its release, and find out where you can get the best deals on used versions.

Feb 14, 2020

In a Sony a9 vs Sony a9 II comparison, you might think the a9 II would be the clear winner. Not so fast! The older a9 has a distinct advantage - a much better price.

Feb 12, 2020

There are tons of options in terms of a camera on a budget. But with so many choices, it's hard to know what the ultimate deals are. Here are three top choices for budget-friendly DSLRs.

Feb 12, 2020

Latest Articles

The holy trinity of landscape photography lenses includes three zooms - a wide-angle, a standard, and a telephoto. If you can fill out your kit with these lenses, you'll be sitting pretty!

Feb 20, 2020

Photo by Goh Rhy Yan on Unsplash While it's no secret that China heavily relies on state surveillance to mediate their country...

Feb 20, 2020

Making great videos requires that you have the capability to record superb sound. Get critical audio recording tips in this tutorial on audio tips for videographers.

Feb 19, 2020

With these urban photography tips you'll have a better idea of the gear you need and the compositional choices to make in order to get the best shots.

Feb 18, 2020

jungle photography, jungle photography tips, landscape photography, landscape photography gear

Feb 18, 2020

Starting a photography business requires you to do it in a way that is legitimate and legal. Get some critical tips on how to make your photography business legal in this quick tutorial.

Feb 17, 2020

Getting a beautiful canvas print requires much more than finding a good printer. Instead, you need to consider the various canvas print options in order to get the best-looking results.

Feb 17, 2020

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 III vs OM-D E-M5 II debate has raged for nearly three years. So which of these micro four thirds cameras is right for you? Find out in this comparison review!

Feb 17, 2020