1st time putting photo's up open for critique

8 years 6 months ago #360083 by Kell
img\def

img\def

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 6 months ago #360089 by Tuscan Muse
Great Kell!  I know the first time is kind of scary. :(    I like these, but the first thing that i noticed was the cropping of both images.  What made you decide to crop where you did?

8 years 6 months ago #360109 by Kell
Hi, thanks so much. I cropped the photo to try and tidy it up. I was wanting to get more of her in the photo. I was using a 50mm lense. I see now that yes it is a bit silly as her hand is missing and even the rest of her dress.

8 years 6 months ago #360111 by Kell
I just went and checked the original photo. Her hand has been cut out whilst shooting the photo. Wow!! Huge lesson learnt right there!

8 years 6 months ago #360131 by Leilanee
That first pic is adorable!  Love those eyes.  I'm okay with the tighter crop on that one, because the eyes seem to be the focus of that photo to me.
The second photo I would have framed slightly differently just so that finger isn't cut off... but otherwise, nice exposure and such.  Nice images!

8 years 6 months ago #360149 by Kell
Wonderful. Thanks so much. Learning so much already :)

8 years 6 months ago #360163 by KCook
#1 looks best to me.  Nice exposure and colors.  I would like to see a little more contrast.  This could be done either with lighting or in post.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

8 years 6 months ago #360167 by Kell
Should I be shooting in RAW to get better contrast etc..thanks so much for your feedback. This is wonderful :)

8 years 6 months ago #360211 by garyrhook

Kell wrote: Should I be shooting in RAW to get better contrast etc..thanks so much for your feedback. This is wonderful :)

If you prefer to let your camera make decisions on processing for contrast, exposure and color, by all means, do not shoot in RAW format.  As soon as you do, you've lost data that you may have used to your advantage.

If you want to create an image according to your vision, RAW files will provide the most flexibility. It also means learning to post-process in Lightroom, Photoshop, or similar application.

Photo Comments

8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #360213 by KCook
RAW offers more precise control over contrast than with a JPG.  Some folks are fussy about this, and some are not.  The better RAW editors also offer more flavors of tone control.  Unfortunately these better editors, such as Lightroom, are not cheap.  Links for more info -

www.photographytalk.com/forum/photograph...ead?start=120#155994

photographylife.com/mastering-lightroom-...-use-the-basic-panel

www.clickinmoms.com/blog/full-portrait-retouching-in-lightroom/

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

The following user(s) said Thank You: Kell

8 years 6 months ago #360343 by Leilanee
Oh, God...

Another wild RAW debate appears!  Go.. opinion!

I'm just going to throw it out there that I went FIVE YEARS without shooting RAW and some snobs laugh at me for that but I quite think my photos look damn fine thank you very much.  I shoot RAW now, but honestly I rarely even use my RAW editor, maybe because I'm not creative enough to really enhance my photos beyond my wildest dreams in photoshop, or maybe it's because I already achieve the look I wanted for the photo in-camera, and if I don't it's because it was a general flop and isn't something that can be fixed by recovery of "missing data" via under/over exposure or whatever else... it's because my idea sucked and I sucked at trying to portray it.

So do whatever you want, enter the slough of people telling you that I'm just a nut talking out of my ass and you should never shoot RAW, but I personally have only used a RAW editor to my advantage....

drumroll please....

once.
And I don't even remember when that was.

Yeah yeah, I'm stupid, apparently RAW is some deity I have not chosen to worship, and I guess my photos suck and have suffered because of my blind ignorance.

/rant

Now, ignoring my little outburst of annoyance at the inevitability of people telling you not to listen to me, that my opinion is wrong, and that everyone should shoot RAW ALWAYS (because RAW), if you're working in situations where the lighting just doesn't work to your advantage or you're trying to get a particular image but some factor isn't ideal in your environment, RAW can be handy.
I just usually avoid un-ideal conditions.  Maybe that's not realistic for professional paid photographers, but I dunno.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Kell

8 years 3 weeks ago #400906 by Travel Nut
Both good ones...I like #1 though....

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Nikon D5 vs D850 comparison, we take a look at the specs, features, and capabilities of these cameras so you can decide which one is right for you.

Sep 29, 2022

The Panasonic Lumix FZ300 is an older camera, but has modern capabilities like 4K video that make it a great option for today's photographers.

Sep 13, 2022

The Sony Alpha 7c mirrorless digital camera is a compact full frame rig that is an excellent introduction to shooting with a full frame body.

Aug 25, 2022

In this Sony Alpha a6000 mirrorless digital camera review, get the scoop on this camera's specs and features, and learn why it's a great beginner camera.

Jul 05, 2022
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Our 2022 list of the best gifts for photographers under $1,000 includes everything from cameras to bags to data backups. Check the list and start shopping!

Sep 29, 2022

In this Nikon D5 vs D850 comparison, we take a look at the specs, features, and capabilities of these cameras so you can decide which one is right for you.

Sep 29, 2022

The metal vs canvas prints debate is an interesting one. Which type is best for your photos? In this guide, we give you several criteria to help you decide.

Sep 28, 2022

The Canon EOS RP specs don’t compare to high-end full frame cameras. However, this camera is still well-equipped and is a great buy for entry-level shooters.

Sep 27, 2022

A modern wall art display is a beautiful addition to a home or business. In this beginner tutorial, learn some quick and simple tips for creating a display

Sep 26, 2022

The new GoPro Hero 11 look exactly like its predecessor, but under the hood are a ton of changes, including a new sensor, that make the Hero 11 a major upgrade.

Sep 22, 2022

You can get a portrait print in any size you like, on various papers, and in multiple orientations. The question is, what’s best for your particular image?

Sep 21, 2022

By using wholesale photography products, you can offer your clients beautiful products and give them more choice while giving yourself room for a nice profit.

Sep 21, 2022