Broke LCD glass on back side of my Nikon D90!

12 years 10 months ago #103032 by Cre8tivefix

Gene.Culley wrote: OH man, I'm back on the fence :blink:

Yeah, It's not something you should do on a whim. You definitely do need to work through the pros and cons. There are definite advantages and security to sending it in for a repair. If this is the first time you've ever opened up, or tried to repair electronics, then this might not be the best guinea pig. But if you are confident in your ability to do it then it's not something that requires advanced equipment or calibration or anything. As I said, you have to be up to taking the risk. I know I'm kind of in the minority when it comes to taking things like this on.

12 years 10 months ago #103036 by Baydream

Cre8tivefix wrote:

Yeah, It's not something you should do on a whim. You definitely do need to work through the pros and cons. There are definite advantages and security to sending it in for a repair. If this is the first time you've ever opened up, or tried to repair electronics, then this might not be the best guinea pig. But if you are confident in your ability to do it then it's not something that requires advanced equipment or calibration or anything. As I said, you have to be up to taking the risk. I know I'm kind of in the minority when it comes to taking things like this on.

:agree: You have the experience to make complicated repairs. s you noted, you often take "broken" equipment and make it whole again so your risk is reduced. I admire your skill.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #103220 by Moe
Honestly I would have a pro fix it

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #103576 by Prago

Moe wrote: Honestly I would have a pro fix it

Exactly, let someone be responsible, plus you get warranty from them

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #103596 by Joves

Baydream wrote:

Cre8tivefix wrote:

:agree: You have the experience to make complicated repairs. s you noted, you often take "broken" equipment and make it whole again so your risk is reduced. I admire your skill.

I will agree with all of the above.
While back in my film days I worked on all of my cameras and lenses. I have yet to really tackle the digitals, I am going to take apart my one lens to try and fix the aperture blades though, it is only a kit lense and I have the range covered anyhow. I have always been very mechanically inclined and have built equipment and repaired it, still do but these newer cameras are a different thing. I would get bid from several different of the trust stores online you will find a better price than from the manufacturer.

12 years 10 months ago #103734 by Prago

Joves wrote:

Baydream wrote:

Cre8tivefix wrote:

While back in my film days I worked on all of my cameras and lenses. I have yet to really tackle the digitals, I am going to take apart my one lens to try and fix the aperture blades though, it is only a kit lense and I have the range covered anyhow. I have always been very mechanically inclined and have built equipment and repaired it, still do but these newer cameras are a different thing. I would get bid from several different of the trust stores online you will find a better price than from the manufacturer.

I would love to see the inside of a lens! If you take that lens apart, please take some photos of the process. :thumbsup:

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #103770 by Baydream

Prago wrote:

Joves wrote:

Baydream wrote:

Cre8tivefix wrote:

I would love to see the inside of a lens! If you take that lens apart, please take some photos of the process. :thumbsup:

Check out this to see the "insides" of a lens.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #103870 by Gene.Culley

Baydream wrote:

Prago wrote:

Joves wrote:

Baydream wrote:

Cre8tivefix wrote:

Check out this to see the "insides" of a lens.

That was fun to watch :cheers:

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #104832 by Rob pix4u2
I'm late to this game so here goes... I always send the Nikon bodies and lenses to a Nikon authorized repair facility in case some thing else is wrong besides the obvious. Case in point- D80 developed a permanent error message rendering body unusable sent in for diagnosis and repair. Returned in working order, then developed error message again in a month. resent to repair to have original problem re repaired... while apart repair guy/gal found main circuitboard failure- repair was 1/2 the cost(part primarily) and covered labor under 90 day warranty. Camera returned in working order and all i fine now.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024