Broke LCD glass on back side of my Nikon D90!

12 years 10 months ago #102359 by Gene.Culley
I managed to break my LCD screen on my D90 and was quoted $325 to have it repaired. I was wondering if this is something a handy man like myself, could replace or repair? Wondering if I could just order the new screen from Nikon and take camera apart and swap out? How difficult is this? I'm not concern about voiding warranty as my camera is out of warranty now. Just don't want to spend unnecessary $$ if I don't have to.

Thanks for the help and advise.

Gene

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #102373 by Nikonjan
Don't know about that, did you google it to see if it is easy to do? I have insurance on equipment with $100 deductible, I dropped my lens and broke some pieces in it. So it helps to have insurance to cover these mishaps.

www.betterphoto.com?nikonjan
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #102381 by Baydream
Hopefully Cre8tivefix will respond (or message her). She learned DSLRs by repairing them.
In the meantime, check out these PT Articles
www.photographytalk.com/photography-arti...broken-camera-part-1
www.photographytalk.com/photography-arti...broken-camera-part-2
May be some help.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cre8tivefix
12 years 10 months ago #102503 by Gene.Culley
Thanks so much for the help everyone. Nikonjan, would you mind me asking who you use for your insurance?

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #102587 by Dori

Gene.Culley wrote: Thanks so much for the help everyone. Nikonjan, would you mind me asking who you use for your insurance?

I use my home owners ins.

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 10 months ago #102769 by Gene.Culley

Dori wrote:

Gene.Culley wrote: Thanks so much for the help everyone. Nikonjan, would you mind me asking who you use for your insurance?

I use my home owners ins.

I might need to check into that myself. Thank you.

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #102773 by Cre8tivefix
Yes. It's Very Do able. I don't know anything about the D90 specifically, but repairs is how I get my gear. Let me look around for a few links for you, and get back on here.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Baydream
12 years 10 months ago #102779 by Joves
I imagine that it is as involved and changing out your CCDs Filter. That process can be seen for your camera at the LifePixel site. You might also contact KEH and see what they get for the repair.

12 years 10 months ago #102825 by Cre8tivefix
So here we go. This repair doesn't require any soldering, but there are still risks, so you have to be up to taking them. You have to consider how it was broken and if that may have caused any other damage unseen that may complicate the repair. For me the repairs were always nothing to loss, but for you, your camera has a higher value since you bought it working. Messing it up is a bigger net loss.

You'll need the tiny screw drivers. You'll want a variety of sizes, because although the screws are all small, they seem to use a different one for each hole in my experience. LOL And the pitch of one screwdriver might fit better than the pitch of another. This is probably where your biggest chance of messing up is. If you round off a screw it suddenly gets much more difficult and can really mess up the finished job.

I've got a link showing disassembly which you should get familiar with. When it comes time to tackle your own, then you'll want pen paper and something like an ice cube tray. Write a description of the location of each screw as you take it out (or draw a diagram and # it ) and put the screws in the tray. Any small parts that come off as it comes apart you should do the same for. It's easy getting these things apart... the hard part is getting them back together like they used to be. So take your time and be meticulous and it will pay off, and although this particular repair is not super involved, it's just good practice.

A video of your repair

The part
cgi.ebay.com/NIKON-D90-LCD-ASSY-UNIT-NEW...&hash=item4aabb07f9f
(I've purchased from them, so I trust them)

This looks like the same part, but the price difference is questionable, so I can't be sure. and I don't know this seller.
cgi.ebay.com/New-LCD-SCREEN-DISPLAY-NIKO...&hash=item3a66ae6597

Here is the outside cover if needed:
cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-D90-LCD-Window-Adhesi...&hash=item56443171f4

Hope this helps. Let us know if you go this route. And best of luck. :banana:

12 years 10 months ago #102831 by Nikonjan

Marsh thru Professional Photographers of America, Very reasonable.

www.betterphoto.com?nikonjan
12 years 10 months ago #102974 by Gene.Culley

Cre8tivefix wrote: So here we go. This repair doesn't require any soldering, but there are still risks, so you have to be up to taking them. You have to consider how it was broken and if that may have caused any other damage unseen that may complicate the repair. For me the repairs were always nothing to loss, but for you, your camera has a higher value since you bought it working. Messing it up is a bigger net loss.

You'll need the tiny screw drivers. You'll want a variety of sizes, because although the screws are all small, they seem to use a different one for each hole in my experience. LOL And the pitch of one screwdriver might fit better than the pitch of another. This is probably where your biggest chance of messing up is. If you round off a screw it suddenly gets much more difficult and can really mess up the finished job.

I've got a link showing disassembly which you should get familiar with. When it comes time to tackle your own, then you'll want pen paper and something like an ice cube tray. Write a description of the location of each screw as you take it out (or draw a diagram and # it ) and put the screws in the tray. Any small parts that come off as it comes apart you should do the same for. It's easy getting these things apart... the hard part is getting them back together like they used to be. So take your time and be meticulous and it will pay off, and although this particular repair is not super involved, it's just good practice.

A video of your repair

The part
cgi.ebay.com/NIKON-D90-LCD-ASSY-UNIT-NEW...&hash=item4aabb07f9f
(I've purchased from them, so I trust them)

This looks like the same part, but the price difference is questionable, so I can't be sure. and I don't know this seller.
cgi.ebay.com/New-LCD-SCREEN-DISPLAY-NIKO...&hash=item3a66ae6597

Here is the outside cover if needed:
cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-D90-LCD-Window-Adhesi...&hash=item56443171f4

Hope this helps. Let us know if you go this route. And best of luck. :banana:

WOW, thank you for all this information! I'm putting some serious thought into this right now. $158 and a few minutes of my time isn't bad. Might just be a experience! B)

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #102984 by MLKstudios
There is an old poster of Photographic Truths. Included are these two (note this was printed long before DSLR reapir costs). I'm paraphrasing, as I don't remember the exact words that were printed on it:

8. A $20 repair can be done with a butter knife.

9. It's costs $200 to fix the damage caused by the butter knife.

;)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 10 months ago #103000 by Baydream
$158 if it works, $695 (used for KEH if it doesn't) vs $325 for repair. Ummmm.

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #103012 by Gene.Culley
OH man, I'm back on the fence :blink:

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #103022 by Baydream

Gene.Culley wrote: OH man, I'm back on the fence :blink:

Sorry. :( Didn't mean to cloud the issue, just put it into perspective. Sort of like, do I try to repair the HTML port on my TV. (I opted to use audio/video cables for now). If I get to the point that I will be replacing the TV, I might consider attempting to repair it as an awesome PC monitor. :drool:

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024