Lytro Light Field Cameras

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #102922 by dang
Hi Guys,
I haven't seen any discussions here on the new Lytro cameras, so thought I'd pass on the link (Thanks to Barri Olson for passing it on to me). The Lytro allows taking a photo, and focusing later along with changing depth of field. Be sure and check out the photo gallery on their site for example shots you can mouse click to see how it works:
Lytro

Insanity: doing the same thing over, and over again expecting different results. (Albert Einstein)
www.dangphoto.weebly.com

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #102926 by MLKstudios
Wow. That is cool. The ability to pick a focus point AFTER the picture is taken. Amazing!

:)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

The following user(s) said Thank You: dang
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #102934 by Henry Peach
"No more flat, boring, static photographs."

Well thank goodness, it's about time. So where do I find the exciting pics? The ones on the website look pretty typical. ;)

A wonderful tool, if it works right, and comes coupled with all the other features I need. Playing with their examples either it doesn't have quite the DOF they claim, or their concept of "sharp and in-focus" is different than mine.

My prediction: this may lead to some sort of commonly used DOF control feature, but as is it's still just a stepping stone.
12 years 10 months ago #103014 by Baydream
Even Ren Ng, the founder of Lytro, skirts the issue of image quality. Resolution is an issue. His assumption is that most photos are shared on the web.
From pc.mag.com interview:
"The nature of light-field photography makes it difficult capture high-resolution images without making the optics extremely complicated."
"The resolution issue from the research side of things was one of the early big breakthoughs at the company. The thing about resolution, by the time people share pictures online, you're throwing away 90 to 95 percent of those pixels. And the vast majority of picture use today goes through the Web."
The camera will use a proprietary file format that will severely limit where you can share your images, It is doubtful that Flickr and Snapfish will support the format any time soon, according to the article.
This does not seem to be a camera for photographers, it is for "picture takers". And if, like the APS film craze, the concept dies out, all your photos could go away with the company.

www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2387554,00.asp

Maybe in a few years! He also says the price will be "competitive", but with what? This is not something I would jump on.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #103034 by MLKstudios
Definitely not a print medium, but think of images on an iPad where you can choose the area you want in focus. I think it's kinda cool.

:)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 10 months ago #103222 by Moe
:goodpost: :goodpost:

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #103232 by dang
Hi guys, and thanks for the responses.

I can definitely see uses for such a device. For a novice shooter it would be a great learning tool. They state it works well for low-light situations, which I'd love to see more examples of. Also, if they offer one with life-size macro ability, I'd have to go for it if the price is reasonable, specifically for web posting. So while it may not be as high resolution as I'd usually want, it looks like a fantastic cam to play with and will improve with time.

Glad you found it interesting.
:cheers:

Insanity: doing the same thing over, and over again expecting different results. (Albert Einstein)
www.dangphoto.weebly.com

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024