Tripods that are more practical and more used?

12 years 10 months ago #103932 by NormNYC
I hope my title makes some sense, I'm basically looking for a new tripod and would like to shop around. Can someone post up the top 5 tripod manufactures or even models? I have been looking around and know I'm going to go with carbon fiber. But not sure 100% yet on which brand and model. There are so many!

12 years 10 months ago #103938 by chasrich
Hi Norm... :welcomeclan

I have two tripods. One is indestructible and heavy. I use this at home or perhaps somewhere I intend to stay put for awhile. The other is lighter, smaller, less stable and easier to carry. Which one meets your needs better?

Manfrotto makes good ones IMHO.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 10 months ago #103946 by MLKstudios
Gitzo is the leader in carbon fiber, but they are NOT cheap:

www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/photo/Ntt/Gitzo+Carbon+Tripods/N/0

A really good aluminum Manfrotto can be found for $200-300.

HTH :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 10 months ago #103952 by Nikonjan
I have a Manfrotto ox55 but it is heavy, I bought a cheaper carbon fiber from Adorama that I like,Flashpoint F-2228, it's my pistol grip head that makes them heavier too.
Slik,Bogen

www.betterphoto.com?nikonjan
12 years 10 months ago #104000 by mj~shutterbugg
I just bought a manfrotto 055XPROB with a pistol grip- it's nice but heavy and aluminum. I got to play with some Gitzo's and like those quite a bit as well they we're just out of my budget.

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #104120 by Scotty

NormNYC wrote: I hope my title makes some sense, I'm basically looking for a new tripod and would like to shop around. Can someone post up the top 5 tripod manufactures or even models? I have been looking around and know I'm going to go with carbon fiber. But not sure 100% yet on which brand and model. There are so many!

How tall are you?

Gitzo and Really Right Stuff are the two top leg makers.

For ball heads or pan heads, Markins and RRS makes really good stuff.

You'll probably want an L plate as well.

Plan on spending around 1400-1600 for a good setup. If you are shooting super tele's, you'll want a gimbal system. Which will end up costing you around 2000-2200 in the end.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #104142 by Joves
Well Im not a CF user, I have the aluminum tripods. One is a Slik that is light and the manfrotto for my teles. The weight doesnt bother me to much with the Manfrotto because it is more stable when it is windy here, which is often.

12 years 10 months ago #104278 by John Landolfi
Benro and Feisol, have some good CF ones, and they are somewhat less expensive than Gitzo. Their larger ballheads are also good and serviceable. Since you are in Manhattan, you can see them at B&H. Don't forget to browse their used section, because they often have very good deals on complete set-ups. Unless you are palnning to upgrade your D70 to a D3X, and get some really large teles, you should be able to get set up for 500-600, especially if you find used.

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #104366 by effron
Mine are the best......:)
However, you need to decide for yourself. See this...........
www.bythom.com/support.htm

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #104390 by NormNYC

effron wrote: Mine are the best......:)
However, you need to decide for yourself. See this...........
www.bythom.com/support.htm

I'm heading out the door, but just wanted to say this page I have loaded on my iPad and bringing with me to read! This looks very interesting!

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #104552 by steveheap
I originally had the Gitzo G1028, which is really light, but the legs are a little thin. I traded up to the Gitzo 2542L, which is a little chunkier in the thickness of the legs, but is still small enough to fit in a carry on bag on the airlines. I carry this one almost everywhere I go - it fits on the back of my camera rucksack, and I go hiking with it to capture pictures of myself (which I sell as stock photos), in out of the way places. I've started taking a lot more HDR images (I wrote about how to do this with a Canon with a Promote Remote on my blog recently), and I carried the same set up to the overlook over Harper's Ferry in West Virginia this past week.

This one is an HDR with five shots 1 stop apart, and then I just cloned in the shot of myself from one of the images as it is really hard to keep absolutely still through the five shots so you tend to get slightly blurred edges. The HDR brings back a lot of detail and clarity to the rock in shade on the right without losing the detail in the sunlit distance. The Promote Remote lets you delay the series of shots (so I can get in position) and then I have it set to take two sets of five to give me more chance of being still! You can't do this without carrying your tripod with you.

Steve

My Stock Photo Blog
www.backyardsilver.com

Attachments:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024