Photo editing programs

12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #106081 by kbmccallie
I have a question that I hope you can help me with. I started out using Picnik a year ago when I began a flickr account. Since then I have looked at many photo editing tools that offer so much more than picnik. I photograph a little bit of everything, however my favorite are nature photos, to include macros. I have a Nikon D3000 and shoot in manual mode. I try to adjust my settings in the camera before I take the photo, however as you all probably know....sometimes you need help. I have recently started taking portraits and find that I need even more help. I have an account with SmugMug so all files have to be converted to jpeg before they can be uploaded to that program.

WHAT I NEED IS A PHOTO EDITING TOOL FOR DUMMIES!!! I have read and watched tutorials till I can't look at anymore. I'm not one to do a lot of "playing with the pixels" but would like something easy to use. My new laptop came with Adobe Elements Basic 9, but I'm just not happy with it. I don't want to spend a whole lot of money on an editing program, but know that I need something I can work with. I have been shooting in jpeg but am now switching to raw.

Any ideas?? If I don't respond to you "in a timely manner" it's because I am cleaning the house....been putting it off. However, I will get back with you!

Thank you!!!!!

12 years 9 months ago #106087 by Rob pix4u2
Try PICASA 3 by google, it's easy to use, it's free( another advantage ) and if I can learn it without much trouble the it can't be too bad

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 9 months ago #106095 by Johnnie
Photoshop Elements is a very good program, takes a little time learning but a very good program. Another is Corel Paintshop Photo Pro, it will give you everything and then some that Photoshop Elements lacks.

Free Ones: Paint.net and Gimp. A little learning curve but excellent in the editing arena.

Good luck with your choice, with anything it does take some patience and persistence to learn.

12 years 9 months ago #106111 by Shadowfixer1
Invest your time into learning Elements. It will be worth it. If you don't want to spend the effort in learning Elements or some similarly powerful program, then I wouldn't bother shooting RAW. Adjust your settings in camera to maximize image quality and shoot jpg. I would suggest Capture NX2, but I'm not sure if you would like it or not. Download a trial version and test it out.
12 years 9 months ago #106147 by effron

Shadowfixer1 wrote: Invest your time into learning Elements. It will be worth it..

+1, its a fine editing program.............;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #106177 by KCook
FastStone Image Viewer and Windows Live Photo Gallery are both streamlined for easy use. But I agree with the other posts, Elements is well worth learning.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 9 months ago #106187 by Nikonjan

kbmccallie wrote: I have a question that I hope you can help me with. I started out using Picnik a year ago when I began a flickr account. Since then I have looked at many photo editing tools that offer so much more than picnik. I photograph a little bit of everything, however my favorite are nature photos, to include macros. I have a Nikon D3000 and shoot in manual mode. I try to adjust my settings in the camera before I take the photo, however as you all probably know....sometimes you need help. I have recently started taking portraits and find that I need even more help. I have an account with SmugMug so all files have to be converted to jpeg before they can be uploaded to that program.

WHAT I NEED IS A PHOTO EDITING TOOL FOR DUMMIES!!! I have read and watched tutorials till I can't look at anymore. I'm not one to do a lot of "playing with the pixels" but would like something easy to use. My new laptop came with Adobe Elements Basic 9, but I'm just not happy with it. I don't want to spend a whole lot of money on an editing program, but know that I need something I can work with. I have been shooting in jpeg but am now switching to raw.

Any ideas?? If I don't respond to you "in a timely manner" it's because I am cleaning the house....been putting it off. However, I will get back with you!

Thank you!!!!!

Didn't your camera come with an editing program like Capture NX? I know my Nikon did, I don't use it though, I use Photoshop CS4. If you want a good program to fix flaws on people in portraits, you might try Portrait Professional, It's not very expensive. The tools I use most in PS are clone,patch,dodge and burn tools, Cropping also. levels, contrast, saturation controls. Or you can spend a little money for all the effects that will do most of this it's self and go with OnOne Phototools.

www.betterphoto.com?nikonjan
12 years 9 months ago #106197 by Baydream

Rob pix4u2 wrote: Try PICASA 3 by google, it's easy to use, it's free( another advantage ) and if I can learn it without much trouble the it can't be too bad

:agree: Picasa is as "easy as pie" and has online help and tutorials that are complete and concise. I taught 3 class sessions to seniors last winter and the only couple that had any trouble didn't know how to load their photos from their camera. Oh well.
www.picasa.com

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #106303 by Maria21
Elements is a strong editing program...My suggestion would be to learn the Element's you already have and to buy the Visual Quick Start Guide to Elements. These books are organized & easy to read. They include pictures of the actual dialog boxes you will encounter. I think you will surprised at how quickly you will pick up on it.

Zerfing's Photographic Imaging
12 years 9 months ago #106503 by Joves
I too will say Elements and Gimp, they are well worth learning. And once you do they will be indispensable.

12 years 9 months ago #106521 by robbie

Nikonjan wrote:

kbmccallie wrote: I have a question that I hope you can help me with. I started out using Picnik a year ago when I began a flickr account. Since then I have looked at many photo editing tools that offer so much more than picnik. I photograph a little bit of everything, however my favorite are nature photos, to include macros. I have a Nikon D3000 and shoot in manual mode. I try to adjust my settings in the camera before I take the photo, however as you all probably know....sometimes you need help. I have recently started taking portraits and find that I need even more help. I have an account with SmugMug so all files have to be converted to jpeg before they can be uploaded to that program.

Thank you!!!!!

Didn't your camera come with an editing program like Capture NX? I know my Nikon did, I don't use it though, I use Photoshop CS4. If you want a good program to fix flaws on people in portraits, you might try Portrait Professional, It's not very expensive. The tools I use most in PS are clone,patch,dodge and burn tools, Cropping also. levels, contrast, saturation controls. Or you can spend a little money for all the effects that will do most of this it's self and go with OnOne Phototools.

Nikon stop giving Capture NX for free but Capture NX2 is a great program but I don`t like it!
Photo Tools I love and used regularly but you must have the full version of Photoshop...it`s a plugin
without the 'stand alone' feature.
If you want to improve then you should get to the level that your work demands...you don`t have to learn the program ONLY the parts that you will use.I uses CS5 but uses mostly my plugins.
Buy a good tutorial book and when you want to do something just look it up.

12 years 9 months ago #106864 by Rob pix4u2
I think the OP was looking for ease of use not a recommendation for the program she doesn't like already.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024