Got to take a few shots with the Lee Filters "Big Stopper 10" today

13 years 4 months ago #10661 by Alex
I was up in Huntington Beach on a photo shoot and running late. But I was ran out to the pier quick to test this filter out. Camera was showing correct exposure 1/320 sec @ f/11, with the big stopper on it extended the exposure time to 3 seconds. Very cool!

Here is the beach seen before:

With Big Stopper Filter:

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
Attachments:
13 years 4 months ago #10688 by Scotty

Alex wrote: I was up in Huntington Beach on a photo shoot and running late. But I was ran out to the pier quick to test this filter out. Camera was showing correct exposure 1/320 sec @ f/11, with the big stopper on it extended the exposure time to 3 seconds. Very cool!

With Big Stopper Filter:

A 3 second exposure at those settings in daylight is pretty nuts.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #10689 by Karl Wertanen

Scotty wrote:

Alex wrote: I was up in Huntington Beach on a photo shoot and running late. But I was ran out to the pier quick to test this filter out. Camera was showing correct exposure 1/320 sec @ f/11, with the big stopper on it extended the exposure time to 3 seconds. Very cool!

With Big Stopper Filter:

yea it is....
thats an adjustable density filter too correct?
I might have to get me one of those
13 years 4 months ago #10703 by Scotty

Karl Wertanen wrote:

Scotty wrote:

With Big Stopper Filter:

yea it is....

Good luck with that!

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #10724 by Moe

Scotty wrote:

Karl Wertanen wrote:

Scotty wrote:

With Big Stopper Filter:

yea it is....

Good luck with that!

So true, no one has this

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #10807 by Scuba Mike
Cool shots, let's see more!

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #10857 by Jeffster
What other applications would you use this for? I mean that is one pretty dark filter?!

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #10890 by Scotty

Jeffster wrote: What other applications would you use this for? I mean that is one pretty dark filter?!

Slowing down water, and speeding up clouds.

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #10893 by Casey T
Isn't there some discoloring with those super dark filters?

My Passion is being behind my camera and my family.
Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #10899 by Scotty

Casey T wrote: Isn't there some discoloring with those super dark filters?

Not really.

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #10945 by Hamtastic
That is crazy to be able to have that long of exposure during sun light! :woohoo:

Post more pics up when you can!

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #11019 by neal1977
So let me ask this: With this one you need a special bracket to hold the filter right? I think they cost another $80 over the $140 cost of the filter, right? So why not just get a filter that screws onto the lens for much less?

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #11022 by Karl Wertanen

neal1977 wrote: So let me ask this: With this one you need a special bracket to hold the filter right? I think they cost another $80 over the $140 cost of the filter, right? So why not just get a filter that screws onto the lens for much less?

If you shoot a super wide angle w/a screw on filter, your photo will show the edges of the filter in the corners of the frame of your shot because the filter sticks out farther than the edge of your lens. i believe it's called vignetting.
13 years 4 months ago #11024 by neal1977

Karl Wertanen wrote:

neal1977 wrote: So let me ask this: With this one you need a special bracket to hold the filter right? I think they cost another $80 over the $140 cost of the filter, right? So why not just get a filter that screws onto the lens for much less?

If you shoot a super wide angle w/a screw on filter, your photo will show the edges of the filter in the corners of the frame of your shot because the filter sticks out farther than the edge of your lens. i believe it's called vignetting.

OK, not to be difficult, but if that was the case, the edge of the lens would be seen also? Because the filter is the same size as the lens? Or am I missing something here?
B)

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #11029 by Karl Wertanen

neal1977 wrote:

Karl Wertanen wrote:

OK, not to be difficult, but if that was the case, the edge of the lens would be seen also? Because the filter is the same size as the lens? Or am I missing something here?
B)

You are right that the filter is the same size (in diameter) of the lens, but since it is something that is being screwed onto the "end" of the lens (adding length), it sticks out further than the lens would w/out the filter.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024