Got to take a few shots with the Lee Filters "Big Stopper 10" today

13 years 4 months ago #11031 by neal1977

Karl Wertanen wrote:

neal1977 wrote:

Karl Wertanen wrote:

neal1977 wrote: So let me ask this: With this one you need a special bracket to hold the filter right? I think they cost another $80 over the $140 cost of the filter, right? So why not just get a filter that screws onto the lens for much less?

If you shoot a super wide angle w/a screw on filter, your photo will show the edges of the filter in the corners of the frame of your shot because the filter sticks out farther than the edge of your lens. i believe it's called vignetting.

OK, not to be difficult, but if that was the case, the edge of the lens would be seen also? Because the filter is the same size as the lens? Or am I missing something here?
B)

You are right that the filter is the same size (in diameter) of the lens, but since it is something that is being screwed onto the "end" of the lens (adding length), it sticks out further than the lens would w/out the filter.

I see and I understand. ;) Thanks for the explanation. BTW the photo in your avatar, is that in your gallery here? I've seen most of your photos and don't recognize that one. Can you post a larger size?

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #11032 by Karl Wertanen

neal1977 wrote:

Karl Wertanen wrote:

neal1977 wrote:

Karl Wertanen wrote:

neal1977 wrote: So let me ask this: With this one you need a special bracket to hold the filter right? I think they cost another $80 over the $140 cost of the filter, right? So why not just get a filter that screws onto the lens for much less?

If you shoot a super wide angle w/a screw on filter, your photo will show the edges of the filter in the corners of the frame of your shot because the filter sticks out farther than the edge of your lens. i believe it's called vignetting.

OK, not to be difficult, but if that was the case, the edge of the lens would be seen also? Because the filter is the same size as the lens? Or am I missing something here?
B)

You are right that the filter is the same size (in diameter) of the lens, but since it is something that is being screwed onto the "end" of the lens (adding length), it sticks out further than the lens would w/out the filter.

I see and I understand. ;) Thanks for the explanation. BTW the photo in your avatar, is that in your gallery here? I've seen most of your photos and don't recognize that one. Can you post a larger size?

Yea, It's in a gallery i just posted about 10 min's ago... It should blow up a little when you click on the photo in the gallery but i try to keep the size and resolution down so others cannot reproduce them. I'm slow to posting galleries lol. I'll probably do another one in a few weeks.
13 years 4 months ago #11040 by neal1977

Karl Wertanen wrote:

neal1977 wrote:

Karl Wertanen wrote:

neal1977 wrote:

Karl Wertanen wrote:

B)

Yea, It's in a gallery i just posted about 10 min's ago... It should blow up a little when you click on the photo in the gallery but i try to keep the size and resolution down so others cannot reproduce them. I'm slow to posting galleries lol. I'll probably do another one in a few weeks.

I'm going to check out your gallery!

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #11043 by Karl Wertanen

neal1977 wrote:

Karl Wertanen wrote:

neal1977 wrote:

Karl Wertanen wrote:

neal1977 wrote:

Karl Wertanen wrote:

B)

I'm going to check out your gallery!

Thnx..
I learned the hard way w/screw on filters and wide angle lenses.
13 years 4 months ago #11740 by Moossmann
Do you have any closer photos? That is pretty amazing that you can get that long of exposure time during sun light. So are these considered better than the screw on filters or would that just be preference?

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #11780 by Alex

Moossmann wrote: Do you have any closer photos? That is pretty amazing that you can get that long of exposure time during sun light. So are these considered better than the screw on filters or would that just be preference?

I was so much in a rush that I only had time to fire off a couple shots. So far, I will say I'm very impressed. Just can't wait to play with these filters more. Hopefully this weekend! Now regarding the screw on filters I have a B&W #110 Neutral Density 3.0 filter that I just got in last week, I hope to do a comparison between these two filters.

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #12139 by Moossmann

Alex wrote:

Moossmann wrote: Do you have any closer photos? That is pretty amazing that you can get that long of exposure time during sun light. So are these considered better than the screw on filters or would that just be preference?

I was so much in a rush that I only had time to fire off a couple shots. So far, I will say I'm very impressed. Just can't wait to play with these filters more. Hopefully this weekend! Now regarding the screw on filters I have a B&W #110 Neutral Density 3.0 filter that I just got in last week, I hope to do a comparison between these two filters.

I trust you will post up new photos when you have them. ;)

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #23934 by Scotty
I did some hand helds today, and it's a little tricky to do without a holder.

The sun is peaking out and I did a 2 minute exposure.

Will mess about again in a bit.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #23944 by Todd Knight

Scotty wrote: I did some hand helds today, and it's a little tricky to do without a holder.

Let's see the pics! :toetap: :)

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #23994 by Scotty

Todd Knight wrote:

Scotty wrote: I did some hand helds today, and it's a little tricky to do without a holder.

Nope. The results were bad, camera shake since i had to hand hold the thing and shoot on bulb.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #24099 by Todd Knight

Scotty wrote:

Todd Knight wrote:

Nope. The results were bad, camera shake since i had to hand hold the thing and shoot on bulb.

What's the wait on the holder?

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #24107 by Scotty

Todd Knight wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Todd Knight wrote:

Who knows, same wait as the big stopper.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #24227 by Todd Knight

Scotty wrote:

Todd Knight wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Todd Knight wrote:

That sucks, you would expect they would have inventory for that for those that purchased the filters. How long have you been waiting?

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #24296 by Scotty

Todd Knight wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Todd Knight wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Todd Knight wrote:

That sucks, you would expect they would have inventory for that for those that purchased the filters. How long have you been waiting?

They didn't expect the demand they have. I've been waiting since the start of december.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #24581 by Stealthy Ninja

Alex wrote: I was up in Huntington Beach on a photo shoot and running late. But I was ran out to the pier quick to test this filter out. Camera was showing correct exposure 1/320 sec @ f/11, with the big stopper on it extended the exposure time to 3 seconds. Very cool!

Here is the beach seen before:

With Big Stopper Filter:

Yeh man, the big stopper is just incredible the way it can slow down a shot. :)

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024