Do you think film photography could ever have a come back?

12 years 9 months ago #108485 by Silver Fox
You know trends come and go. I was reading a interesting blog yesterday where one guy was forecasting film photography would have a come back and grow in numbers. Interesting considering the process of getting the finished photo. What do you think?

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #108489 by MLKstudios
It never left the fine art realm. I doubt most "snapshooters" are going back though. Digital is just too easy, cheap -- and fast.

My 2¢

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 9 months ago #108490 by Johnnie
I believe that film will always be around. With the advent of digital photography, film cameras both 35mm and medium format have become very accessable and affordable to many people. Many local colleges are still telling students to get a manual film camera! My prediction is that film will always be available and a viable option.

12 years 9 months ago #108495 by Baydream
I suspect that film will gradually fade as slides have done. There will be a usage for quite a number of years but processing will eventually become harder to find (like the venerable Kodachrome). Even B&W film processors are getting harder to find (but they are there). Keep shooting but don't look for a resurgence.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #108500 by The Time Capturer
I don't think it will totally go away either. Personally, I will never use it again. It's nice to know whether or not I captured an image properly before I leave, rather than finding out too late and can't go back to try again.

Sure, practice makes perfect but, unless you learn from your mistakes, you are only perfecting your ability to fail.
12 years 9 months ago #108531 by Stealthy Ninja

Baydream wrote: I suspect that film will gradually fade as slides have done. There will be a usage for quite a number of years but processing will eventually become harder to find (like the venerable Kodachrome). Even B&W film processors are getting harder to find (but they are there). Keep shooting but don't look for a resurgence.

:agree:

It's dying.

I mean, I can still find cassette tapes if I look hard enough, but who used cassettes?

I'm sure there are some people out there with 8-tracks too.

Heck I have a VCR in my cupboard.

People looking for a taste of the nostalgic (I can understand this feeling) or people way too alternative to use something mainstream (hipsters and MLK's "fine art" friends :P ) will continue to find a way to keep it alive for as long as they can.
12 years 9 months ago #108548 by chasrich
I suspect it will fade into it's proper place in history somewhere between tintype and digital. It might take decades more to accomplish this but even our new megapixel digis will find their place on the self when they get replaced by some newer, better, grander technology.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 9 months ago #108553 by Stealthy Ninja
In a generation most people won't even know what film is. It is like kids these days not knowing what a record is. Film will go the same route...

Unless we get photographic hip hop that is... (who gets my joke?).
12 years 9 months ago #108579 by chasrich
I'm trying to imagine scratching a photo... might help if I try using 16mm film. Cool!

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 9 months ago #108595 by Screamin Scott
I still shoot film once in awhile (have a boatload in the fridge/freezer) but for the most part I'm digital anymore...Nothing like a good B&W film shoot though...The digital B&W's don't seem to quite measure up.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #108597 by Henry Peach

Silver Fox wrote: ...one guy was forecasting film photography would have a come back and grow in numbers.

I'm trying to think of reasons why this might happen? I'm drawing a blank.
12 years 9 months ago #108598 by Maria21
I agree with everyone else here, it's a dying breed. I still have a couple SLR film cameras that I do use, but now mostly for stills that I set up & don't mind waiting for. I do like the "feel" of a good film image, but the sharpness of digital has prevailed & I think it's here to stay. In my people album I posted a few film images in the mix & most that commented said they were "soft", but back in day they were taken they were considered top notch. (ha ha now you found my evil side..I posted both film & digital to guage the comments on film vs digital as well...LOL, thanks to those who commented. I learned a lot)

Zerfing's Photographic Imaging
12 years 9 months ago #108642 by Baydream

Stealthy Ninja wrote: In a generation most people won't even know what film is. It is like kids these days not knowing what a record is. Film will go the same route...

Unless we get photographic hip hop that is... (who gets my joke?).

When my grand daughter was young we took her to a restaurant where the walls were decorated with old LP vinyls. She turned and asked, "What are those big black CDs for?" And that was about 15 years ago.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #108696 by effron
Film will be back, and so will the rotary phone...................:whistle:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #108717 by Karl Wertanen
:goodpost: :cheers:
Obviously Digital SLR's are mainstream and in most photographers bags but i don't think film photography is going to disappear. (It certainly wont for me. I have no plans at all for a DSLR anytime in my foreseeable future. I'm happy w/my little point and shoot digital for family and friend shots but thats it. In fact very soon i plan on purchasing a medium format film SLR and later a large format film camera).

It all depends on what your intended use is, the direction you want to go with your work and what impression you want to make.... I dont think film is dead at all. If you are a professional "people" photographer, there is really no use for film and i can see why. If i were in the business of weddings/portraits/sports, i would not use film either. In that field, yes, film is dead but on the other hand, If you are into landscape photography, B&W, or some other artistic vision of photography, film never died or came anywhere close to disappearing. Many photographers are still using film.

I think in the "photography as art" world, film will be around for along time. It's like any other type of similar art. In painting you have acrylics, watercolor and so on. There is a certain look, feeling, and depth to film that is quite different from the flat screen digital image a DSLR creates (and thats not a knock on digital at all). Film grain to many is a beautiful thing and creates a very nice image. It's all relative to the artist.

The resolution and sharpness argument is kind of silly too. a good 35mm film scan is roughly equal to the image created b a 12MP camera, (of course this depends on the quality of the lens used and the development process, but that's another story...) My 35mm Minolta with good glass produces beautiful 12x18's and 16x24" prints that i would be proud to show in any gallery. A medium format SLR film scan can produce a massive photograph and a large format film camera can produce just monsterous prints w/out loosing any sharpness or quality.

Some say film photography is expensive and a waist of money but i would just argue that if you know how to take a photograph, there really is no waist or high cost involved. In fact, I could get a complete medium format film SLR kit or even a large format film camera kit if i look for less than many newer DSLR's and even get sharper and larger images. As for waist, Film photographers usually work slow and make sure they pay attention to all the fine details and technicalities of "taking a photograph" and get the shot right the first time before they even trip the shutter. For those, there really is not alot of film waist. I think film forces you to become more involved in the picture you are taking and in turn forces you to be a better photographer rather than just a button pusher who takes 100 photos and hopes for a good one, or a photographer who tries to make good photographs out of a bad photographs in a photo editing program.

Anyway, what i'm getting at is as long as the "art of photography" exists, there will always be a place for film. It's not an issue of which is better, It all depends on your intentions with your camera. If you are a people photographer, you would certainly want to shoot digital, and in the art world, you may appreciate and like the look of a film photograph more. There's pros and cons to both and it's not worth argueing. You wont find many film photographers here on this site though... since it is geared more towards the entry level photographer and digital enthusiast.

I think with the introduction and mass injection of the digital SLR into the hands of millions and millions of people around the world, it just makes a quality film print that much more valuable and desirable in the world of art. For me and many more, film photography is like a good bottle of wine or a classic car/truck.... It just gets better with time. :)

Maria21, how did you reproduce your film photos to digital formatt? did you use a flatbed scanner, a dedicated film scanner, a drum scanner or some other professional scanner? Are the scans in your gallery of 4x6" prints? they would be really soft if they are scans of 4x6" prints... or scans made from a low res scanner. Softness is not really a characteristic of a film photograph, rather the limitations of your gear and/or the quality of scanner. If you like, check my galleries... All my galleries are film scans except for a few images in the last gallery. Except for those few shots in the last gallery, they are not soft at all. :)

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024