Why do they say full frame is better than cropped?

12 years 9 months ago #110099 by Fiesta!
With all the steps in technology, and crop sensor camera's becoming better and better. Does this statement still hold true? Are full frame camera's still better than crop?

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #110103 by Henry Peach
It's like saying Hum Vees are better than other vehicles. In some situations it may be true. In many others not so much.

I have found that most of the time people, including experienced photographers, can't tell the difference between my large prints (up to 20"x30") shot with my 8mp APS-C Canon 20D and my 21mp 35mm 5DII. At least for ISOs 400 and slower.
12 years 9 months ago #110115 by BCP
I agree with Henry. Having both, there are definitely times when the full frame body is the only one to use, other times, it doesnt matter too much.

Low light photography is certainly at the top of my list when the full frame body is the one to grab; it simply has better high ISO abilities.
12 years 9 months ago #110120 by Fiesta!
That makes sense, I was in my local hole in the wall camera store and the owner is one of those people that has a answer for everything. Usually his answers are full of technical information and easy to get lost in. He was talking to another person in the store today and kept saying "full frame is better than cropped any day of the week" over and over again.

So that is where my question came from. :)

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #110150 by Henry Peach

Fiesta! wrote: He was talking to another person in the store today and kept saying "full frame is better than cropped any day of the week" over and over again

If that were true there would be little point in making APS-C format professional cameras. The reason there is a choice is because each has strengths and weaknesses that have to be assessed individually.
12 years 9 months ago #110153 by Scotty
Full frame gives you more DOF and true FL's. The only advantage crop sensors has is reach.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #110158 by lucky1one
Full frame Vs. Crop sensor cameras

Advantages of full frame sensor cameras:

-could take full advantage of your wide angle lens. This is useful for shooting landscapes.
-better image quality when using high ISO. This is helpful when shooting in low light situations where flash is not available or permitted.

Disadvantage of full frame sensor cameras:
-more expensive bodies
-lenses are bigger

Advantages of crop sensor cameras:
-could take advantage of crop factor to take more detailed shots at longer distance. This is useful when shooting sports and wildlife.
-cheaper than full frame cameras.

Disadvantage of crop sensor cameras:
-could not take full advantage of the wide angle focal length of the lens.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Scotty
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #110236 by Henry Peach
Many APS-C DSLRs have a faster flash sync speed than 35mm DSLRs.

As photographic technology improves, and the quality people want is available in a smaller camera, that format becomes popular. The consumer cameras of 120 years ago would be considered large format. Film got better and people switched to medium format folders and TLRs. By the late 20th century 35mm was good enough for most folks. Today APS-C digital doesn't have too much trouble matching, even beating, 35mm film.

Henri Cartier Bresson's peers told him 35mm was for amateurs and tourists. I think he proved them wrong. :)

So my question is how did 35mm, which used to be considered small format, become "full frame"? Why isn't 6x7cm or 4x5 or 8x10 full frame? They must be very full frame. :toocrazy:
12 years 9 months ago #110245 by BCP

Henry Peach wrote: Many APS-C DSLRs have a faster flash sync speed than 35mm DSLRs.

As photographic technology improves, and the quality people want is available in a smaller camera, that format becomes popular. The consumer cameras of 120 years ago would be considered large format. Film got better and people switched to medium format folders and TLRs. By the late 20th century 35mm was good enough for most folks. Today APS-C digital doesn't have too much trouble matching, even beating, 35mm film.

Henri Cartier Bresson's peers told him 35mm was for amateurs and tourists. I think he proved them wrong. :)

So my question is how did 35mm, which used to be considered small format, become "full frame"? Why isn't 6x7cm or 4x5 or 8x10 full frame? They must be very full frame. :toocrazy:

LOL, no they would be medium format and large format. The term 'full frame' refers to the imaging sensor being the same size as a frame of 35mm film. DSLR bodies are based on the same form factor as 35mm SLR bodies, thus the 35 mm comparison. A medium or loarge format camera is a completely different form factor.
12 years 8 months ago #123702 by Stealthy Ninja

Henry Peach wrote: It's like saying Hum Vees are better than other vehicles. In some situations it may be true. In many others not so much.

I have found that most of the time people, including experienced photographers, can't tell the difference between my large prints (up to 20"x30") shot with my 8mp APS-C Canon 20D and my 21mp 35mm 5DII. At least for ISOs 400 and slower.

That't the point right?! 400 and lower ISO there won't be much difference, but FF is generally a lot better at higher ISO levels. It's not just the amount of grain either, it's the quality of the grain. I found it's much smoother and more even on FF cameras as opposed to crop cams.

That and more details, shallower DOF and full use of a lenses field of view make FF cameras the best choice.

Like Scotty said, only advantage is reach.
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #123783 by Henry Peach
You don't get more "reach" with a smaller format. A particular focal length on any format creates exactly the same image size on the sensor/film. The photographer is just asking the lab to enlarge it more, which of course could be done with photos from any camera of any format.

"Why do they say full frame is better than cropped?"

Because in general people like to say bigger is better, about almost everything. They make these generalizations because they don't want you to think or learn, they just want you to salivate over the next upgrade, and keep spending your money. Or they want to say my toys are better than your toys. Cameras have always come in a variety of formats, and the advantages and disadvantages of choosing a smaller or larger format are pretty much the same today as they were 100 years ago.

Here's an obvious advantage of smaller format: they are significantly cheaper. Not important to everyone, but some folks don't want to/can't spend $2000+ on a camera body.
12 years 8 months ago #124002 by Scotty

Henry Peach wrote: You don't get more "reach" with a smaller format. A particular focal length on any format creates exactly the same image size on the sensor/film. The photographer is just asking the lab to enlarge it more, which of course could be done with photos from any camera of any format.

"Why do they say full frame is better than cropped?"

Because in general people like to say bigger is better, about almost everything. They make these generalizations because they don't want you to think or learn, they just want you to salivate over the next upgrade, and keep spending your money. Or they want to say my toys are better than your toys. Cameras have always come in a variety of formats, and the advantages and disadvantages of choosing a smaller or larger format are pretty much the same today as they were 100 years ago.

Here's an obvious advantage of smaller format: they are significantly cheaper. Not important to everyone, but some folks don't want to/can't spend $2000+ on a camera body.

Reach and FL are two different things.

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #124005 by MLKstudios
I'm with HP on this one...

There's some things an 8"x10" (large format camera) can do that a 35mm or DSLR simply can't. But, there are also lots of things they can do that an 8x10 can't. One is a slow laborious process requiring a tripod. The other is small, fast, light and can go anywhere.

Sometimes the smallest camera (and lenses) are best. Other times you need the flexibility of a large format camera. Sometimes a full frame body is the right tool to use, and other times a cropped sensor camera will do just fine. They're simply different "tools" used for different reasons.

So the answer to the "which is better" q. is simply which tool is best for what you want to use it for.

Matthew :)

BTW there are times a DSLR may not be allowed into certain venues. At those times, a pocket or phone camera would take better photos -- unless you have planned for a press pass.

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 8 months ago #124008 by Joves
For wildlife Cropped is king when using a lens meant for film/FF. This is due to it cropping the image already once, it doesnt give you more reach but crops the the Field of View amking it appear to have more reach. This is an advantage over the Full Frame because you have the latitude to crop it again and make the subject even larger. For a FF to get the same apparent sixe of the cropped sensor you have to crop it, and to get the crop of a cropped sensor you have to crop even more degrading the image. Full Frame as others have stated rule the High ISO and wide fields of view. So if you like having reach go croppedif you shoot wide and at lower light levels full frame.Either way both beat the hell out of film in High ISO and versatility.

12 years 8 months ago #124012 by Scotty

MLKstudios wrote: I'm with HP on this one...

There's some things an 8"x10" (large format camera) can do that a 35mm or DSLR simply can't. But, there are also lots of things they can do that an 8x10 can't. One is a slow laborious process requiring a tripod. The other is small, fast, light and can go anywhere.

Sometimes the smallest camera (and lenses) are best. Other times you need the flexibility of a large format camera. Sometimes a full frame body is the right tool to use, and other times a cropped sensor camera will do just fine. They're simply different "tools" used for different reasons.

So the answer to the "which is better" q. is simply which tool is best for what you want to use it for.

Matthew :)

BTW there are times a DSLR may not be allowed into certain venues. At those times, a pocket or phone camera would take better photos -- unless you have planned for a press pass.

I don't think this was ever about large format?

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024