Question for Portrait Photographers

12 years 9 months ago #110501 by kk6600
I would like to build a business around labor and delivery, and newborn photography. With this selection comes crappy lighting, fast action and non-repeatable moments and usually crappy vantage points....fun fun. So My question is about lenses and flash. I do not wish to be changing out my lens often, so what 'do it all' lens would you use...keep in mind, it needs to be kinda fast in crap light...
Also, for the slower paced newborn photography I am looking into a softbox, but I am not sure I understand how it works...Is it a separate flash inside the softbox that is triggered by the camera? What all do I need to make that work? Thanks

12 years 9 months ago #110510 by Rathers
Buy yourself a 50mm. It'll be fast enough to use natural light, maybe at times you will have to use the flash as a fill light. Make sure you have a camera is works well with high ISO.

12 years 9 months ago #110515 by Henry Peach
I'd want to avoid using the flash in the delivery room during labor. I'd go with one of the 35mm DSLRs that do great in the dark, and use fast primes: 28, 50, and 85. If you got to have the zoom then a typical range f/2.8 zoom (24-70ish on 35mm format).

Check out strobist.com for loads of info on using speedlights for off camera lighting.
12 years 9 months ago #110516 by Jo0c7
I just love photographing children and babies. Children are such a delight. Now I don't shoot professionally. I just enough taking pictures of my children and friends children. So I know I do not have any of the proper equipment, so I can't help you on that one. All I can say is..you will enjoy it. :)

12 years 9 months ago #110518 by kk6600

Henry Peach wrote: I'd want to avoid using the flash in the delivery room during labor. I'd go with one of the 35mm DSLRs that do great in the dark, and use fast primes: 28, 50, and 85. If you got to have the zoom then a typical range f/2.8 zoom (24-70ish on 35mm format).

Check out strobist.com for loads of info on using speedlights for off camera lighting.

Thanks. Well I will only use the flash if really needed. Of course I would check my settings before the actual picture taking gets started. Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #110532 by lucky1one
I didn't know people are allowed to bring in their photographers to the delivery room or even that there's a demand for this type of photography.

To answer your question...

you put the flash inside the softbox. You trigger the flash with a wire or a wireless trigger. In your situation, I would think a small light modifier attached to your flash head makes more sense than a softbox. A softbox is too large and cumbersome, considering the cramp space inside the delivery room. In addition, a zoom lens is probably your best choice. The advantage of a prime lens is that you can shoot in dim lighting. However, you have to "zoom with your feet". That means you constantly have to move in and out to get the composition you want. I couldn't imagine doctors would allow you to do that for liability issues.

12 years 9 months ago #110551 by Rob pix4u2
Photographing in the L& D rooms may be a difficult thing to get credentialed for unless you are already an R.N. with some experience and some inside connections. Knowing the procedures and policies of the hospital is essential to first finding out if you would even be allowed to shoot a delivery. Newborn photography is usually handled by a contract shooter or a hospital photographer with all of the proper releases and such. Tech wise the soft box will help with the newborn end but should be one that fits on camera as most nurseries have flourescent lighting. Good Luck and let us know how you get along with access issues in L & D

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #110588 by photobod
Difficult one this, you could research it by contacting hospitals to check if it is ok to be in a labour room, you would of course need the permission of the potential mother so maybe if you already have a potential client you could ask them to find out the ins and outs from her midwife, a normal softbox would be to cumbersome to have in a hospital so buy a small one that attaches to your flash, maybe about 10" x 12" max, if you have a cable link from your camera to your flash gun then you could hold the flash off camera so you get better light.
If you are not allowed a flash then go for a 24mm-70mm f2.8 zoom, you will need to use 800iso or more with the lens wide open, maybe aperture priority would be the best mode so you dont need to worry about speed.

Forgot to say Lori let us know how you get on please

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #110605 by Henry Peach
I think it would be a rare doctor, midwife, or nurse that would have a problem with this as long as the mother-to-be is okay with it. I think in most cases it's the dad with the camera or video, but some folks hire pros. It would be easy for the couple to inquire in advance, and make changes in the plan if necessary to accommodate their wishes. Many people don't even have their babies in hospitals anymore. The hospital we had our kids in wouldn't have had any problem with it. I don't even think the doctor made it on time either time. :)

To me the issue is that this is an incredibly intimate moment. More so than even a wedding. I'd want to do my best to absolutely stay out of the way, and be as invisible as possible. That's how you sell this. They can get any yahoo to come in with a camera and flash. They need the pro because they want someone who has the gear and skill so they don't need to use flash during the delivery.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024