Supplies?

12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #111098 by The Time Capturer
I will be biking to the conservation area tomorrow to do a photographic tour. My fibromyalgia seems to be in remission at the moment so I think I can do it. I plan to leave before the sun comes up to avoid the roasting heat. Once I'm there, I can relax by the lake for as long as I want to recover. Returning home in the heat will be the killer but, once I'm home, I can sleep for a couple of days if I need to.

To minimize the weight and bulk, I'll be taking a monopod instead of my tripod and I'll wear pants with removable legs.

My equipment:

-2 cameras
-telephoto lens
-50mm lens with reversing ring (for macros)
-food and lots of water (most of the wight)
-business cards and tri-fold pamphlets
-bug spray
-water shoes (should I decide I have the energy to go for a swim)
-roll of toilet paper for the IBS emergencies

I'm sure I'll be adding to this list all day but does anyone have any suggestions on anything else I should be taking for an all day trip?

Sure, practice makes perfect but, unless you learn from your mistakes, you are only perfecting your ability to fail.
12 years 9 months ago #111130 by Dori
How about a cheap poncho and zip-locks in case of rain?

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 9 months ago #111161 by photobod
Dont go without your mobile phone, pleased to hear you will be taking lots of water, a foldaway waterproof jacket would be good, maybe a radio for a bit of company whilst you sit and have lunch, dont forget to enjoy yourself and report back with the usual cluster of great photos.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 9 months ago #111190 by Baydream

photobod wrote: Dont go without your mobile phone, pleased to hear you will be taking lots of water, a foldaway waterproof jacket would be good, maybe a radio for a bit of company whilst you sit and have lunch, dont forget to enjoy yourself and report back with the usual cluster of great photos.

You may want some water purification tablets. Sunblock and a wide brim hat (for off the bike time) to ward off the sun. "Emergency meds" if you have them.
Have a safe and great trip.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #111233 by The Time Capturer

Dori wrote: How about a cheap poncho and zip-locks in case of rain?

We aren't expecting any rain until early next week but the motto in Ontario is, "If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes, it'll change."

I guess if I do go prepared for rain, it will guarantee clear skies ... never a bad idea.

Sure, practice makes perfect but, unless you learn from your mistakes, you are only perfecting your ability to fail.
12 years 9 months ago #111235 by The Time Capturer

photobod wrote: Dont go without your mobile phone, pleased to hear you will be taking lots of water, a foldaway waterproof jacket would be good, maybe a radio for a bit of company whilst you sit and have lunch, dont forget to enjoy yourself and report back with the usual cluster of great photos.

The mobile phone's a must. It goes everywhere I go. Strenuous activities like this tend to bring my remission to an abrupt end and if it turns out I can't make it back, thanfully, we have taxi "vans" here. That reminds me, I need to put their number in my phone.

No radio for me. I prefer the peace of the outdoors. If I get bored, just watching the people walking by will be entertainment enough, especially when they've got dogs. Who knows, I might even get a job out of it. If it comes down to it, my phone has a built in radio anyway.

12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #111246 by lucky1one
Since you are biking make sure you are taking spare tubes and tools. Wouldn't want you to end up walking back with all your gears.;) BTW, whenever I go biking I always put some kind of identification in my saddle bag. If I fall and hit my head, someone could at least notify my family. People with certain medical conditions may also want to include information that could save their life.

12 years 9 months ago #111250 by The Time Capturer

Baydream wrote:

You may want some water purification tablets. Sunblock and a wide brim hat (for off the bike time) to ward off the sun. "Emergency meds" if you have them.
Have a safe and great trip.

Once I'm there I'll be in mostly shady areas but the sunblock will be handy on the way home. I wear a ball cap under my helmet and when I'm using the camera, I turn it around so the rim is at the back. The kids call it "photo mode." I wish I could go without the helmet, as I find it too hot, but because of my tendancy to fall when I'm riding, I won't go without it.

12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #111252 by The Time Capturer

lucky1one wrote: Since you are biking make sure you are taking spare tubes and tools. Wouldn't want you to end up walking back with all your gears.;) BTW, whenever I go biking I always put some kind of identification in my saddle bag. If I fall and hit my head, someone could at least notify my family. People with certain medical conditions may also want to include information that could save their life.

Thought about that, especially after the sprocket cluster broke a couple of days ago. Thanks. I use a fanny pack for my ID and everything.

12 years 9 months ago #111376 by The Time Capturer
Woohoo! My 16GB card arrived in the mail today ... just in time.:banana:

Attachments:
12 years 9 months ago #111379 by Baydream
Happy days :banana: :banana: :banana:

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #111474 by The Time Capturer
Okay, the weather report:

Sun rises at 5:53am so I will be leaving around 5:00. Full moon tonight so lots of light available. I'll be riding my day bike and the lights are on my night bike so I bought a clip on tail light and I'll be using my "head" light (miner style). At 5:00, the temp will be 14°C (57°F) with 10% chance of rain. Riding east into a 7km/h SE wind ... perfect night for biking.

However...

At 4:00pm, the temp will be 28°C (82°F), 0% chance of rain but 90% humidity. At least I'll be riding west with the winds still SE at 12km/h.

I now have the taxi # in my phone (which is currently charging), should I need it.

So, here's my updated list. Let me know if I should add anything:

-2 cameras (Canon for the macros and Fuji that I decided to use instead of taking the telephoto lens)
-50mm lens with reversing ring and my home made soft box diffuser thingy
-second battery for the Canon and box of "AA" for the Fuji
-all of my existing memory cards
-lens cleaning kit
-knee pads (plan to do mostly macro)
-monopod
-bug repellant
-sun block
-ball cap
-tylenol (with caffiene and codeine)
-rain poncho
-plastic bags
-lunch (2 6" subs in separate sealed containers)
-bag of hard candies
-water shoes and extra socks
-toilet paper and extra underwear (fibro sufferers will understand this)
-notepad and pens
-business cards and tri-fold flyers
-photo rights (thank you Charles)
-and lots and lots of water

I will look for updates to this thread when I get up. Thank you all for your help so far. This is a huge leap of faith in my abilities and am looking forward to a great daycation.

12 years 9 months ago #111610 by The Time Capturer
Well, I'm awake but didn't get much sleep ... no surprise. Never do when it's needed. Will be leaving in about an hour.

12 years 9 months ago #111893 by The Time Capturer
Well, I'm back. I lef tearly because the bugs obviously didn't want me there.

I learned a couple of things today. First, macro + white flowers + direct sunlight + flash = serious overexposure.

Second, if I'm gonna put all that weight on my bike, I need to be sure I have enough tire pressure to handle it. Nothing wears me down faster than riding on underinflated tires.

All in all, the day went well. I am extremely sore, totally exhaustified, and am heading to bed (after taking a zombie pill to be sure I actually sleep). I found a new frog today. It was sitting on a milkweed leaf and it is so tiny, I could put it on the end of my finger and you'd still see my finger.

Got some amazing macros (I'm in awe) ... processing right now ... will post my favs whenever I wake up.

12 years 9 months ago #112143 by The Time Capturer
If you're following this thread, I've posted the pix here:

www.photographytalk.com/forum/macro-phot...42-fridays-bike-tour

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024