Anyone know if white balance changes from lens to lens?

12 years 9 months ago #114162 by Hawkins
I have noticed that when I take photos of my daughters cheer-leading competitions that are inside and I switch lenses, I can almost tell a faint color difference between lenses. Sometimes a photo will look cooler or warmer, and I know I had switched lenses during that time. So will the white balance change from one lens to another?

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #114168 by nikkie nature
I do not think so. I think the white balance is all within the camera, not the lens. Now if you have a filter on a lens, that could make a difference.

12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #114170 by Henry Peach
Yes. Lenses can have slight color cast differences. For instance it seems to me that the Sigma lens I own tends to be a bit warm yellow compared to my Canon lenses. Among my classic camera lenses I've encountered a fair amount of color variation. One of my favorites is the 50mm f/1.4 Pentax Super Takumar. It has a radioactive internal lens element that turns yellow over time. Sucks for color, but like a built in #8 filter for BW. :)

EDIT: Filters, particularly from different brands, could also have color cast differences. So if you had different UV filters on each lens that could be part of it too.
12 years 9 months ago #114176 by Rob pix4u2
As was said it's the lens elements not the camera body, but it could also be the indoor lighting changing temperature slightly as the bulbs heat or cool a bit, or as you are focusing on a specific area the temp of certain bulbs overhead are warmer or cooler in the arena. I know this is true in the hockey arena where I shoot most often that bulbs at one end are slightly different than at the middle or other end.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 9 months ago #114183 by Henry Peach

Rob pix4u2 wrote: ...it could also be the indoor lighting changing temperature slightly as the bulbs heat or cool a bit, or as you are focusing on a specific area the temp of certain bulbs overhead are warmer or cooler in the arena.

:agree: Fluorescent lights can cycle through a variety of colors, and color cast changes from shot to shot if the shutter speed is faster than the cycle length.

The way to find out if it's the lenses (take off the filters) would be to set the wb to daylight or something other than auto, and shoot the same thing in the same light at the same exposure settings. Something white would make slight color casts easier to see.
12 years 9 months ago #114205 by Hawkins
So if you are looking for consistency between photos and are swapping out lenses, how can you insure you are getting the same white balance?

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #114235 by Rob pix4u2
You can use two camera bodies or not swap lenses and test the lighting over a period of time to see if the arena /gym lights are your source of the color casts. there really should be no change in the white balance in the camera body- only in the lens elements but if you are using two bodies then you won't be swapping lenses. About as clear as mud eh ?

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 9 months ago #114244 by Henry Peach

Hawkins wrote: So if you are looking for consistency between photos and are swapping out lenses, how can you insure you are getting the same white balance?

Do some personal testing to determine the difference, and then you can correct that difference in processing or using color correction filters on the lens.
12 years 9 months ago #114250 by Shadowfixer1

Hawkins wrote: So if you are looking for consistency between photos and are swapping out lenses, how can you insure you are getting the same white balance?

Do a custom white balance whenever you swap lenses. If what you are seeing is slight, then I suspect it is the different coatings on the lenses and not the availabe light that is the culprit. Doing a custom white balance whenever you swap lenses will fix that problem.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024