How can you identify a bad photographer?

9 years 6 months ago #114352 by Dori

DestinDave wrote: A lot of days I feel I can just look in a mirror and identify a bad photographer..

I can relate. :rofl:

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 6 months ago #114370 by Rob pix4u2
only the mediocre are always at their best

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

9 years 6 months ago #114416 by Merethe
Am I the only one thinking that is one bad clerk badmouthing a customer? :catfight:

"Every time someone tells me how sharp my photos are, I assume that it isn't a very interesting photograph. If it were, they would have more to say."

9 years 6 months ago #114421 by chasrich

Merethe wrote: Am I the only one thinking that is one bad clerk badmouthing a customer? :catfight:

Unprofessional at the very least, unless there was a firm friendship in place before hand. I would hate to think I might be the target for comments after I left.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent

9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #114422 by DestinDave
No way, you good-lookin' Brit you!
(refers to Photobod's entry.. meant to quote it.. :unsure: )

Dave Speicher
I thought I wanted a career.. turns out I only wanted paychecks.
dlspeicher.zenfolio.com

9 years 6 months ago #114433 by Maria21
I for one think we are our own worst critiques, that being said I think a bad photographer is one who quits trying to do better in the very next shot.

Zerfing's Photographic Imaging

9 years 6 months ago #114453 by eryck
I thought this would be of interest considering the subject line of this topic

blog.chasejarvis.com/blog/2011/07/are-yo...the-problem-with-it/

9 years 6 months ago #114481 by The Time Capturer

eryck wrote: I thought this would be of interest considering the subject line of this topic

blog.chasejarvis.com/blog/2011/07/are-yo...the-problem-with-it/

Interesting way to look at it...

Sure, practice makes perfect but, unless you learn from your mistakes, you are only perfecting your ability to fail.

9 years 6 months ago #114516 by liam

Maria21 wrote: I for one think we are our own worst critiques, that being said I think a bad photographer is one who quits trying to do better in the very next shot.

i agree!

9 years 6 months ago #114525 by Rocket Man
Photographers who claim to be experts (who aren't) and post ads on Craigslist

The following user(s) said Thank You: Arkangel7x3

9 years 6 months ago #114530 by Game Plan
Photographers who cut peoples feet or hands off in a family portraits

9 years 6 months ago #114541 by adolphjohn
Photography is so subjective. I photography for my own personal satisfaction and learning. And I do like the technical side of it. Post processing can be relaxing and fun. I really don't care what others think (the older I get, the more I feel that way 'bout a lot of things), but do welcome constructive criticism.

The following user(s) said Thank You: bhillger

9 years 6 months ago #114545 by Rob pix4u2
I think that you can tell a good photographer faster than a bad one and there are a lot of good ones on this site. The bad ones don't take the time to learn or be critiqued.

Rob Huelsman Sr.

9 years 6 months ago #114546 by Henry Peach
A bad photographer leaves the lens cap on for the whole roll.

Once I loaded the film backwards in a Hassy A12 film back. Shot the whole thing, and didn't catch on until I removed the roll from the camera. Had to gather everyone back up, and reshoot. I felt like a very dumb photographer.

9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #114551 by Rob pix4u2
The comment about mediocrity wasn't directed at anyone here- it's a saying on a lapel button I picked up while on vacation in Colorado some time ago. No offense intended

Rob Huelsman Sr.

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this FujiFilm X-A7 review, learn why this camera is an excellent entry-level option for beginner photographers.

Jan 18, 2021

The Sony a6100 has been out for over a year now. In this long-term Sony a6100 review, learn all about its features, specs, price, and more.

Jan 13, 2021

The Panasonic G85 might be a few years old, but it still has the specs and features to make it a highly useful camera. Get all the details in this Panasonic G85 review.

Jan 12, 2021

The Olympus OM-D E-M1 I is pushing eight years old, but for budget-minded photographers, it represents excellent value in 2021.

Jan 08, 2021

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

With these basic photography tips, you'll learn about four exciting ways to print your photos that will help you bring your images to life.

Jan 22, 2021

There are plenty of reasons why you should use a teleprompter, not the least of which is to have better eye contact with the camera.

Jan 21, 2021

Learn how to get more leads by optimizing your website and making it as user-friendly as possible. More leads equals more business, so this is an easy way to boost your bottom line.

Jan 19, 2021

Use these simple mobile photography tips to get better results whether you have an iPhone or an Android device.

Jan 19, 2021

Text messaging for business can help you in many ways, from keeping in touch with clients to sending invoices to get paid. Learn other benefits in this photography business guide.

Jan 18, 2021

In this FujiFilm X-A7 review, learn why this camera is an excellent entry-level option for beginner photographers.

Jan 18, 2021

Not everyone is comfortable in front of the camera, but with these portrait photography tips, you'll learn surefire ways to help models relax and have fun.

Jan 18, 2021

It's easy to be inspired in photography, but sometimes you need some photography exercises to regain that creativity. Learn a few creative photography ideas in this guide.

Jan 18, 2021