Bird and Wildlife photography

12 years 9 months ago #114699 by Scott Grant
I'm as fresh off the boat as it gets. I have a Nikon D7000 that I bought to get into bird and wildlife photography. I'm learning all about composition, rule of thirds and so forth.

What I also picked up is that my 18-200mm lens isn't going to get me as close to the wildlife and birds as I would like to. So I just found out about this gadget called 1.4x teleconverter. Will this work with my 18-200mm lens?

12 years 9 months ago #114703 by crystal
Couldn't say for sure. Very few zoom lenses can work with a teleconverter. I just looked it up on B&H website and usually it will say...customers who bought this lens also bought this... but there is no converter. So my guess is no. Put it on and find out. If the two do not connect, or if glass hits, then you can not use it.

You should have bought yourself a 70-300mm lens to start getting into wildlife photography. It's a good decent telephoto lens that most people enjoy using until they are ready to upgrade to something bigger.

I had the 70-300 for a few years until I upgraded to a 50-500.
12 years 9 months ago #114704 by Dori
:agree:

I sold my 50-200 and upgraded to 70-300 VR, very pleased with it.

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 9 months ago #114722 by Shadowfixer1
Be very careful and test this combo carefully. The 18-200 extends to the rear quite a bit. Rack through the focus and zoom slowly to make sure it doesn't collide with the convertor.
12 years 9 months ago #114723 by Scott Grant

Shadowfixer1 wrote: Be very careful and test this combo carefully. The 18-200 extends to the rear quite a bit. Rack through the focus and zoom slowly to make sure it doesn't collide with the convertor.

Is there a way to know for sure if this will or won't work with my lens? Thank you in advance for your help.

12 years 9 months ago #114732 by Dori
I would suggest going to a Camera Shop and asking.

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 9 months ago #114735 by steveheap
Isn't there a Nikon specific teleconverter for their lenses, that would definitely state which lenses it was suitable for. I know that Canon have a 1.4 and 2x teleconverter and list a limited set of lenses that it can be used with.

Steve

My Stock Photo Blog
www.backyardsilver.com

12 years 9 months ago #114738 by crystal

Scott Grant wrote:

Shadowfixer1 wrote: Be very careful and test this combo carefully. The 18-200 extends to the rear quite a bit. Rack through the focus and zoom slowly to make sure it doesn't collide with the convertor.

Is there a way to know for sure if this will or won't work with my lens? Thank you in advance for your help.

This is directly from Nikon's site...

"This lens is not compatible with any of our current teleconverters." from a Nikon's staff.
12 years 9 months ago #114744 by Scott Grant

crystal wrote:

Scott Grant wrote:

"This lens is not compatible with any of our current teleconverters." from a Nikon's staff.

Crap. Thanks for finding that information. So what is the best priced lens that will get me upwards of 350 to 400mm. Or another lens that does work with a 1.4 teleconverter?

You guys are great! Thanks for helping the green horn. Cheers

12 years 9 months ago #114748 by steveheap
I'm not a Nikon guy, so don't know their lenses very well. One think to bear in mind is that a teleconverter reduces the light hitting the sensor - a 1.4x reduces the maximum aperture by 1 stop, a 2x by two stops. That may make it more difficult for your camera to autofocus depending on the max aperture of the main lens.

Steve

My Stock Photo Blog
www.backyardsilver.com

12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #114773 by Stealthy Ninja
I'm not sure what your budget is, but perhaps a 300 f/4 would be better for you?!

Good luck with the bird photography, you've pretty much jumped in the photography deep end.

As steve said an extender will make you lose stops.
X1.4 = 1 stop
X1.7 = 1.5 stops
X2 = 2 stops

I'd recommend a 300 f/4 and a x1.7 oh and a stable tripod.

Again... Good luck
12 years 9 months ago #114776 by crystal

Scott Grant wrote:

crystal wrote:

Scott Grant wrote:

Crap. Thanks for finding that information. So what is the best priced lens that will get me upwards of 350 to 400mm. Or another lens that does work with a 1.4 teleconverter?

You want best price lens for that focal length..buy a Sigma...unless of course you can afford Nikon prices. If you can afford Nikon lenses then buy all Nikon brand lenses. If you can't Sigma is the next best brand of lenses to buy.

IMO, do yourself a favor and do not buy a lens that is more then 300mm...at this time. You admit yourself that you are new to photography. You are just learning rule of thirds. You are now just learning about lenses. Trust me when I say, just go out and buy yourself the Nikon 70-300 f4.5 VR lens.
www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/449088-US..._VR_Zoom_Nikkor.html

Practice photography, practice wildlife photography on this lens. It's a good lens for it's price. It's a really good starter wildlife lens.
Do not upgrade to a 300+ lens before you are ready. It will be more then you could probably handle at this time.
That is the issue with alot of newbies. They bite off more then they can chew.
12 years 9 months ago #114777 by Scott Grant

steveheap wrote: I'm not a Nikon guy, so don't know their lenses very well. One think to bear in mind is that a teleconverter reduces the light hitting the sensor - a 1.4x reduces the maximum aperture by 1 stop, a 2x by two stops. That may make it more difficult for your camera to autofocus depending on the max aperture of the main lens.

Steve

Good to know, I think I'm going to look at longer lenses. :cheers:

12 years 9 months ago #114778 by Scott Grant

Stealthy Ninja wrote: I'm not sure what your budget is, but perhaps a 300 f/4 would be better for you?!

Good luck with the bird photography, you've pretty much jumped in the photography deep end.

Those show out of stock on B&H website. What do you think about the Nikon AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED Telephoto Zoom ?

12 years 9 months ago #114780 by Stealthy Ninja

crystal wrote:

Scott Grant wrote:

crystal wrote:

Scott Grant wrote:

You want best price lens for that focal length..buy a Sigma...unless of course you can afford Nikon prices. If you can afford Nikon lenses then buy all Nikon brand lenses. If you can't Sigma is the next best brand of lenses to buy.

IMO, do yourself a favor and do not buy a lens that is more then 300mm...at this time. You admit yourself that you are new to photography. You are just learning rule of thirds. You are now just learning about lenses. Trust me when I say, just go out and buy yourself the Nikon 70-300 f4.5 VR lens.
www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/449088-US..._VR_Zoom_Nikkor.html

Practice photography, practice wildlife photography on this lens. It's a good lens for it's price. It's a really good starter wildlife lens.
Do not upgrade to a 300+ lens before you are ready. It will be more then you could probably handle at this time.
That is the issue with alot of newbies. They bite off more then they can chew.

Wow excellent advice, I forgot not everyone is me. Lol

70-300 is an excellent idea for a beginner.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024