My son dropped my camera in the sand

12 years 9 months ago #114830 by Conner
We went to the beach yesterday and my son dropped my camera with lens into the sand. When you turn the focus rings on the camera you can feel crunchy sand :( After work today I'm going to pick up some compressed air. However I wanted to post this and see if anything else was suggested?

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #114832 by Rob pix4u2
If you have sand in the helical of the lens it will need to be taken apart professionally cleaned and reassembled- suggest that you send it out to a repair facility to do this

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 9 months ago #114838 by mj~shutterbugg
Sorry to hear about your camera and lens! Rob is right. Do not use the compressed air- it could embed the sand even further.

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 9 months ago #114852 by Conner
Man this sucks! So is that a big job for a professional to clean? I have a family function tomorrow and I won't be able to drop off my camera till tomorrow.

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #114869 by Dori
:( I am so sorry to hear that.

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 9 months ago #114904 by Rob pix4u2
I know this because I got sand in the AF mechanism of my 300mm and had to send it out to be disassembled, cleaned and reassembled several years ago. Very unfortunate and sorry to hear that this happened

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 9 months ago #114936 by Scotty

Rob pix4u2 wrote: If you have sand in the helical of the lens it will need to be taken apart professionally cleaned and reassembled- suggest that you send it out to a repair facility to do this

Yeah, don't try to work any parts of it. Get it into a authorized repair facility. Pay the money. If it's not fixable...time for an upgrade!

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #115033 by Baydream

Scotty wrote:

Rob pix4u2 wrote: If you have sand in the helical of the lens it will need to be taken apart professionally cleaned and reassembled- suggest that you send it out to a repair facility to do this

Yeah, don't try to work any parts of it. Get it into a authorized repair facility. Pay the money. If it's not fixable...time for an upgrade!

:agree: Canon repair on my 70-300 IS was about $125. Well worth it for a $500 lens.You can fill out the form online.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #115044 by chasrich
Ouch. I was hesitant to take my DSLR to the water park. I decided not to take it onto the beach area. Now I'm thinking even the water slide areas was too much risk. That's what the waterproof camera is for anyway. I hope the lens and camera can be cleaned without too much expense. :(

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 9 months ago #115219 by Frank The Tank
Sorry to hear about your luck! Keep us posted, and good luck with your family event.

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #115426 by Conner
Thanks everyone, I dropped the camera off at the Canon repair shop today, so we will see. They told me to call them at end of day for estimate. Crossing fingers!

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #115618 by SJM
Keep us posted and good luck with the cleaning.

Country guy living in the big Apple!
Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #115621 by fotozone
Wishing you the best of luck that it can be fixed quickly and that it is cheap to fix. Let us know what the shop has to say.
12 years 9 months ago #115751 by Stealthy Ninja
Ouch.

Here comes the irony... glass is made from sand (sorta). LOL

Hope you get your camera repaired soon.
12 years 9 months ago #115806 by SJM
I bet JR won't be carrying your camera gear moving forward :whistle: :rofl:

Sorry I couldn't resist that!

Country guy living in the big Apple!
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024