The Weather Network SUCKS!!!

12 years 9 months ago #115233 by effron
I'm curious how mad you would have been if the silly Weather Channel had predicted a perfect day, you went and got hit my lightning?
ALL of the networks suck, bad info everywhere, not just the silly Weather Channel.......:)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #115240 by crystal

effron wrote: I'm curious how mad you would have been if the silly Weather Channel had predicted a perfect day, you went and got hit my lightning?
ALL of the networks suck, bad info everywhere, not just the silly Weather Channel.......:)

That is true. Many times my husband and I will check weather.com and our local news weather and both everyday is different. Even if it's a perfect sunny day, the temps will be different. Either way, right now, I am not enjoying the temps..in the last couple of days (including today) it has been in the high 90s/low 100s, which is not normal for this area.

No matter what, you can not trust what the weather says. It changes too much.
12 years 9 months ago #115293 by Baydream
The weather channel, like all meteorologists, rely on "models" that examine historical data like fronts, humidity, the gulf stream, wind current and other factors. This is NOT an exact science. Anywhere there are mountains or vast water bodies, conditions can change in minutes.
Last night, the prediction for Saturday was 60% chance of showers with sun all day Sunday. This morning, it's sun Saturday and showers Sunday.

This is not much different than predicting the outcome of a baseball, football or soccer game based on the team statistics and how the teams play the game. Even the best would be happy with 70%.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #115431 by eryck
I very much appreciate all your support and feedback. Like I said I once worked at a Marina and am familiar with weather forecasts, on this particular day I guess I had become overwhelemed, maybe I have issues with death and used the weather as a scape goat, its really a complicated situation. But after reading your posts I feel more confident and knowing many of you would be there in a flash makes me realize about competion in the market and making a solid name for one self.

I always knew my 1000D was no where near weather sealed and have always avoided extreme weather with a few exceptions where I took a lightning pic from my balcony and another time with a friend in a car I got this one. which prooves its really worth it to be prepared for the weather.

Also watching the weather is cool, I come to conclude I had personal issues with this particular assignment which I intend to discuss with someone who can guide me into the light.

My example of capturing extreme weather, its the only one I have like this, I was with a friend and her car and we drove around a bit to get this image, It was drizzling on me quite a bit but I only stepped out of the car for less than a minute to take this shot.

C.I.S.S. HQ ISO 400 F/2.8 (should have adjusted this) 1/250 sec
Attachments:
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #115537 by The Time Capturer

eryck wrote:

That's a great capture to be proud of! :thumbsup:

Personal issues are a whole different story and are much more difficult to overcome. I've been there and have suffered from it as well. I missed something in a later post. You mentioned you don't have a vehicle. I'm carless right now as well and if your shoot was any great distance away, I can understand your concerns (especially if you rely on a bicycle like I do).

Sure, practice makes perfect but, unless you learn from your mistakes, you are only perfecting your ability to fail.
12 years 9 months ago #115752 by Stealthy Ninja
I guess the weather over there is harder to predict than it is here.

In HK they get it pretty right (of course there's always the anomalies, but generally they get it right).

It's not half as bad as it use to be.
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #116387 by The Time Capturer

Stealthy Ninja wrote: I guess the weather over there is harder to predict than it is here.

In HK they get it pretty right (of course there's always the anomalies, but generally they get it right).

It's not half as bad as it use to be.

If I remember correctly, Chinese were the first to recognize weather patterns and the jet stream and were also the first to forecast the weather. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You guys have a lot more experience and I bet much better techniques than us.

Oh, and ours seems to be the opposite. They used to be good, but seem to be getting less accurate.

Sure, practice makes perfect but, unless you learn from your mistakes, you are only perfecting your ability to fail.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024