The Weather Network SUCKS!!!

12 years 9 months ago #114866 by eryck
Hi,

I have never been paid and can not afford Photography School, what I tend to do is volunteer in exchange for rights to use the photos in my portfolio (which is not yet done). This morning I was invited to a funeral to take photos. (its not a funeral for one person particularly its a memorial for those lost to addiction, for example Jane and John Doe) they offered to pay me and feed me for lees than an hour service.

BUT this morning the weather channel had alerts for my region of severe thunder storms, so I called to cancel since its an outdoor event. AND wouldnt you know it not a single drop of rain falls from the sky. Now Im not feeling very pleased with my decision this morning to cancel.

What is your approach to expensive gear and weather warnings.
12 years 9 months ago #114876 by DestinDave
Unless it's pouring rain at the scheduled time - go anyway.. never know if it will rain, how long, and how widespread...

Most weather forecasters don't know what the weather was yesterday!! :rofl: :rofl:

Dave Speicher
I thought I wanted a career.. turns out I only wanted paychecks.
dlspeicher.zenfolio.com

12 years 9 months ago #114883 by Baydream
The weather channel rarely gets it right.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #114884 by eryck
yea no doubt, I guess photography has a certain amount of risk involved, depending where you put your self of course and if you know what your getting into. I guess I could just hold an umbrella with one hand and shoot my camera with auto in the other hand. Lesson learned. Seems pretty simple now but dark grey clouds and trees blowing over in the wind ... it did look like a storm any minute kind of thing, now I feel a little silly tho, just looking for some reassurance it wont happen next time.
12 years 9 months ago #114896 by Dori
I always carry zip locks with me, just in case.

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 9 months ago #114899 by eryck

Dori wrote: I always carry zip locks with me, just in case.

very practical next time Im at Mart I will get the biggest bags
12 years 9 months ago #114930 by Scotty
I find it more entertaining you trusted the weather channel. :banana:

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #114944 by photobod
You silly billy you, you were invited to take photos and you should have turned up, even if there was a hurricane forecast, weather people are notorious for getting it wrong, these people wont turn to you next time and you could end up with a reputation for being a fair weather photographer, wrap yourself up and wrap your camera up, a clear polythene bag with an elastic band to seal it on the lens, simples. :toocrazy: :toocrazy: :toocrazy:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #115153 by eryck
I know, I cant believe I trusted the weather channel either, I worked at a Marina for 3 years as a supervisor and kids would always call (its drizzling outside do i still have to come to work?) Now Im the one whining. As I mentioned the winds were pretty strong and the sky was totally overcast, I guess my main issue is I dont have a car right now, I was volunteering at the jazz fest this past june and we had terenchal rains, someone s blackberry got wet and wouldnt work, she couldnt even get a break from her cell provider they offered her new phones to buy. With all that all I could think of was "Oh No I cant get me only camera wet."

I have communicated and thuroughly appologized to the organizers, they said no big deal they only needed one shot anyway and were able to get it with a handy point and shoot and they told me not to worry its all over now.

This is the weather channels first victory to keep me sheltered but I promise it will never happen again, as a matter of fact if I get a new camera body like I have been planning on i will use my canon 1000D in the most horrific snow storm this coming winter, and i will win you all back I promise :)
12 years 9 months ago #115171 by Stealthy Ninja
All this hate towards meteorology astounds me.

These guys are trying to predict the future and honesly (in HK at least) they do a pretty good job.

I can't comment about the weather channel though... maybe they suck.

As for wet weather.

With my camera I don't worry too much, it's weather sealed as are my lenses. I might put it in a ziplock bag if it bucket down, but a little rain doesn't bother me at all.

If I owned a Canon 1000D like you eryck I'd be more worried. The seals on that are pretty much the glue holding it together. :p

For my video camera, I bought a special cover for about $150USD. That camera costs about the same as a D3s + 70-200 2.8 VRII + 24-70 2.8... so I'm not gonna risk getting it wet (since I'm pretty sure it's not so weather sealed... ).
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #115175 by The Time Capturer
Weather forecasting is not an exact science. Believe me, I wish it was. Pay attention to the actual warning first: A "storm warning" means a storm exists and is heading your way. A "storm watch" means the conditions are favourable for a storm to materialize. Also be aware of the fact that a thunderstorm can develop even if there is no warning as the warnings are only for the severe variety.

Having said that, when do you decide to go? Or not go? Think about where you will be doing your shoot. If a storm suddenly develops, is there shelter nearby that you can get to quickly? If so, don't cancel the shoot, knowing you can take shelter.

As good or bad as meteorologist are, most of their forecasts are based on history. For example, a 30% chance of rain means 3 times out of 10, similar conditions in the past have resulted in rain. Don't put your full faith in a weather forecast, but keep what they said in mind and use your own judgement based on observation, logic, and chance.

If you are using an SLR, don't fear the rain too much because they are quite water resistant. I've been using mine in the rain for years without a problem. Last year, I photographed a bike race and it poured down rain most of the day. Again, it never effected the camera ... just don't change lenses!

It sucks that you missed an opportunity but use it as a lesson learned for next time.

I am a weather fanatic. I am terrified of tornados and have been struck by lightning twice (seriously, I have) so I have a very strong need to know what's coming at me. I'm not afraid of lightning but I do respect it. I know that lightning can travel up to 50 miles from the storm and, by the time you hear thunder from an approaching storm, you're already in danger.

I do a lot of bike riding at night and I love to ride in the rain. Even if there are storms around, I will still go out but, I first need to check "The Weather Network's" website. I don't look at the forecast, I use the radar map to see what's coming. This gives a precise location of the storms. And when I go out, I always have a lightning detector with me. I gives off an alarm if the lightning is getting closer. I also have a weather station on my roof that monitors everything else.

Did I mention I'm a weather fanatic?

The only time I wasn't able to avoid a thunderstorm while I was out was when one suddenly started right above me. There is always that element of chance. Mother Nature can be a b***h at times.

This is the radar of a line of thunderstorms (from a different website) that I was nervously watching come towards me the other night:

Sure, practice makes perfect but, unless you learn from your mistakes, you are only perfecting your ability to fail.
Attachments:
12 years 9 months ago #115225 by crystal

eryck wrote: Hi,

I have never been paid and can not afford Photography School, what I tend to do is volunteer in exchange for rights to use the photos in my portfolio (which is not yet done). This morning I was invited to a funeral to take photos. (its not a funeral for one person particularly its a memorial for those lost to addiction, for example Jane and John Doe) they offered to pay me and feed me for lees than an hour service.

BUT this morning the weather channel had alerts for my region of severe thunder storms, so I called to cancel since its an outdoor event. AND wouldnt you know it not a single drop of rain falls from the sky. Now Im not feeling very pleased with my decision this morning to cancel.

What is your approach to expensive gear and weather warnings.

I'm trying to figure out why the heck did you cancel? So what, the weather called for thunderstorms. Have you never took your camera out in the rain? for normal rain pictures, for lightning shots? If you have, why would shooting a funeral in the rain be any different. Don't blame the weather. This is all your fault. You were afraid of getting the camera wet, so you cancel. Rain during a funeral would be good. It will show even more of the sad emotion that people have during funerals. The cloudy, rainy day will give mood. You canceling, ruin it.

I would have been there in a heart beat rain or shine to get those shots.
When it comes to being a photographer, you should be there...unless you are in the hospital or extremely bed ridden. It doesn't matter if it's a paying job or because you want to be nice to shoot it. If you were suppose to photograph an event, you should show up.

BTW, the weather changes every minute.
12 years 9 months ago #115226 by crystal

eryck wrote: yea no doubt, I guess photography has a certain amount of risk involved, depending where you put your self of course and if you know what your getting into. I guess I could just hold an umbrella with one hand and shoot my camera with auto in the other hand. Lesson learned. Seems pretty simple now but dark grey clouds and trees blowing over in the wind ... it did look like a storm any minute kind of thing, now I feel a little silly tho, just looking for some reassurance it wont happen next time.

Buy yourself a rainsleeve or use a plastic bag if you are that worried about rain on a camera.
12 years 9 months ago #115227 by crystal

Scotty wrote: I find it more entertaining you trusted the weather channel. :banana:

Yea, I find it sad, very sad that he trusted the weather channel, instead of creating memories.
12 years 9 months ago #115231 by crystal

eryck wrote: I have communicated and thuroughly appologized to the organizers, they said no big deal they only needed one shot anyway and were able to get it with a handy point and shoot and they told me not to worry its all over now.

Needed one shot or not. You were asked to do this. You could have went, took that one shot for them, but shoot more for you. Because believe it or not, afterwards people would ask if you got a photo of this or that, that they would like to have.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024