What are the top things that have influenced your photography?

12 years 9 months ago #115204 by Scott Grant
What things in your life have influenced your photography? Being new in photography the need for change in my life motivated my interest in this form of art. I'm hooked!

When I was young my mother was big into photography. Ironic, this was the only evidence of modern life style in her. She always had her camera. Up till their passing my parents didn't have radio or tv in their house. They cooked on wood stove. So getting into photography has given me a common interest to my mother. Something that has passed on. I think that is why being so new at this, I have so much interest and desire to learn more.

So how about you?

12 years 9 months ago #115215 by Rob pix4u2
My biggest influence came from my artist father and photographer uncle. My uncle lived in Alaska for many years and would bring his slides with him when he came home and shared them with us. My dad on the other hand started me out in photography at age 9 and I've worked with a camera ever since. I can't draw or paint so I photograph

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #115217 by MLKstudios
I was good in most all art mediums, but my first photos were so-so at best. I decided to study more as to what makes a photograph meaningful and learned from some of the best. I guess it was the challenge that got to me early on.

Eventually I got good at it and made my living photographing just about everything, everywhere.

Photography includes everything that matters to our humanity, and there is still more we can do with it. The challenge never ends, and has given me a very interesting life. Now I teach others what took me many years to discover -- how to make a photograph something special (to them as well as others). And I love doing it.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #115239 by Henry Peach
I have always enjoyed a variety of visual arts, but didn't have much respect for photography. Like most folks I thought it was just about pushing the button and which camera you had. I needed some photos for project, and was struck by how lousy my pics were. Maybe there was more to this than I thought? :) Determined to learn how to take better photos, I started looking through the photography section at the library. That was 20 years ago, and I've been obsessed ever since.

The biggest influences in helping me learn photography have been Drawing 101 class and working in a full service lab/camera store for four years. The drawing class really helped teach me to see the 3D world in 2D, and at the photo lab I spent every day talking to photographers of all stripes. I took many photography classes in college, and I know I learned a lot there, but that Drawing 101 class did more to improve my work than the rest combined. The difference between my eyes and the lens was a lot less of a mystery.

The biggest influence on what I photograph is my family. Before my kids came along I didn't photograph people much. Landscapes were my thing. I took photos of people, but I didn't spend much effort thinking about it. Now people are my favorite subject.
12 years 9 months ago #115244 by crystal

MLKstudios wrote: I was good in most all art mediums, but my first photos were so-so at best. I decided to study more as to what makes a photograph meaningful and learned from some of the best. I guess it was the challenge that got to me early on.

Eventually I got good at it and made my living photographing just about everything, everywhere.

Photography includes everything that matters to our humanity, and there is still more we can do with it. The challenge never ends, and has given me a very interesting life. Now I teach others what took me many years to discover -- how to make a photograph something special (to them as well as others). And I love doing it.

Matthew :)

Is that why we haven't seen any photos you have taken...because they are so-so? :)
It's amazing, you teach, yet when I google you, I find no photographs that you have taken. I would think someone in your place, one who is a photographer who now teaches would at least have some samples of your work. Opps I guess all those photos went disappearing when you were in jail. :whistle:
12 years 9 months ago #115257 by MLKstudios
True, they're all so-so. Most everything I did professionally was with film. Usually chromes for publishing.

I started teaching before digital and used to have a sample of my work online. Not anymore. Though I'm sure there are some still floating around somewhere.

Matthew ;)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 9 months ago #115258 by Dori
My Dad was a photographer and he got me hooked on it. I also loved art class in school.

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 9 months ago #115272 by Baydream
My love of nature is a big driving force. I also paint and draw so that keeps me "fresh". Even though I focus on nature, I still shoot "people" shot (not formal portraits), sports, landscape and just about anything else that strays into my sight.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #115624 by SJM
The need for a hobby and to create art for myself and family

Country guy living in the big Apple!
Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #115831 by Dragonflies
I would say for me, it's been a combination of family who enjoy photography to the who's who in photography that have influenced me.

12 years 9 months ago #116154 by Stanly
I just needed a good hobby, something to keep me busy. Photography does that for me.

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #116462 by Frank The Tank
Yes

Stanly wrote: I just needed a good hobby, something to keep me busy. Photography does that for me.

I'm going to have to agree with you, very good means of getting out and doing something.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024