Do you think anyone can be a photographer?

12 years 9 months ago #115756 by Maria21
This question is like asking what great art is...it's all subjective to ones personal opinion based on what they like individually. Someone I think may be great, you may thinks totally rots. It's kinda like people thought Picasso was nuts when he went through his blue period & today everyone wants to get their hands on one. What we like today may change years down the road.

Zerfing's Photographic Imaging
12 years 9 months ago #115775 by Henry Peach
"The word 'art' is very slippery. It really has no importance in relation to one's work. I work for the pleasure, for the pleasure of the work, and everything else is a matter for the critics." -Manuel Alvarez Bravo

I'd still be taking pictures even if they won't let me in the club. Photography fascinates me. I've met plenty of others with the same obsession. Many are much better photographers than me. Some are not so good. A few produce sub-par and mediocre photos one after another, and never ever seem to catch on. But if they have the passion I can't imagine telling them they can't be a photographer. That's not my kind of club.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DJ Tangeman
12 years 9 months ago #115777 by DestinDave

Henry Peach wrote: "The word 'art' is very slippery. It really has no importance in relation to one's work. I work for the pleasure, for the pleasure of the work, and everything else is a matter for the critics." -Manuel Alvarez Bravo

I'd still be taking pictures even if they won't let me in the club. Photography fascinates me. I've met plenty of others with the same obsession. Many are much better photographers than me. Some are not so good. A few produce sub-par and mediocre photos one after another, and never ever seem to catch on. But if they have the passion I can't imagine telling them they can't be a photographer. That's not my kind of club.

:goodpost: :thumbsup: Well said...

Dave Speicher
I thought I wanted a career.. turns out I only wanted paychecks.
dlspeicher.zenfolio.com

12 years 9 months ago #115796 by chasrich

Stealthy Ninja wrote: :banana:

chasrich wrote: I won't be a photographer until I go Google Peter Lik (or is it Like?) and discover what tripod he uses. One question... What's a tripod? :whistle:

It's "Lik" but it's pronounced like "Like", like, you get it, like, man? It's like totally radically, like, great!

Here's a good link for you Charles: lmgtfy.com/?q=Peter+Lik%27s+Tripod+Setup

One thing for sure, he seems to use a RRS head and a Gitzo tripod.

Thank you Adrian for the link and you too Crazyguy for mentioning the name in the first place. I like Peter Lik... www.peterlikexposed.com/archives/category/fromtheedge :woohoo:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 9 months ago #116010 by Joves

Henry Peach wrote: "The word 'art' is very slippery. It really has no importance in relation to one's work. I work for the pleasure, for the pleasure of the work, and everything else is a matter for the critics." -Manuel Alvarez Bravo

:agree: :thumbsup: as well.
Any one can grab a camera and shoot photos that is a given. It doesnt matter to me wether they are good in my eyes or not as long as the people are happy with what they got. Now on the other hand if they are asking for opinons and asking how to improve I will give it more time to look at and give suggestions.

The following user(s) said Thank You: vee
12 years 7 months ago #145402 by Pir8fan
I don't really think so. Most anyone can learn the technical aspect but the artistic aspect is a different matter. I think that anyone that is good at anything has an inner passion for that subject and, to me, photography is no different. The inner passion must be there otherwise there will be no soul to the photography.

The following user(s) said Thank You: worldshutter
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #145403 by worldshutter
I think anyone can point and shoot and get lucky. Intention, creativity for something that you are trying to create is something all together different and in part are left up to the professionals, The people who are willing to put in some hours to create that perfect shot...

Attachments:
12 years 7 months ago #145511 by lonehero83
Ok that's really an interesting question!
you should ask can anyone become a professional photographer?
coz there is a huge difference between being a pro and just photographer starting from talents and ending with technics.
and if you ask me I can't say I'm a professional photographer but I am a photographer who will be someday a professional :D
12 years 7 months ago #145737 by VictorS
Anyone can take a photo, but not everyone can take a GREAT photo

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #145756 by MLKstudios
That's the issue Victor. Yes, they can!

New cameras are so well designed and automated, that all you need to do is point and shoot. Point it at something great, and you get a great pic.

Everyone who bought a DSLR can be a pro! Now anyone has the opportunity to market and sell a good or journalistic picture they took.

The web has made that possible. And it scares some people.

:)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #145765 by Stealthy Ninja

chasrich wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: :banana:

chasrich wrote: I won't be a photographer until I go Google Peter Lik (or is it Like?) and discover what tripod he uses. One question... What's a tripod? :whistle:

It's "Lik" but it's pronounced like "Like", like, you get it, like, man? It's like totally radically, like, great!

Here's a good link for you Charles: lmgtfy.com/?q=Peter+Lik%27s+Tripod+Setup

One thing for sure, he seems to use a RRS head and a Gitzo tripod.

Thank you Adrian for the link and you too Crazyguy for mentioning the name in the first place. I like Peter Lik... www.peterlikexposed.com/archives/category/fromtheedge :woohoo:

Actually it's pronounced Lick. As in I lick your tears. I was *gasp* wrong.
12 years 7 months ago #145774 by Psmurf
Anyone can take picture it takes a real artist to take a photograph...... I have along way to go

12 years 7 months ago #145785 by effron
Silly question

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #145884 by MLKstudios
True, effron. They can if they WANT to be.

“Photography to the amateur is recreation, to the professional it is work, and hard work too [creation], no matter how pleasurable it my be” - E. Weston

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 7 months ago #145949 by 135 Mark
I think everyone can create art in some form. Now, if the other person considers it art is a different story.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024