Do you think anyone can be a photographer?

12 years 9 months ago #115553 by Scotty
A photographer is just somebody who takes pictures.

You should have asked if anyone can be a GOOD photographer.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: vee
12 years 9 months ago #115564 by The Time Capturer

Henry Peach wrote: My favorite definition of a real photographer: Has to have owned a 3 legged dog named tripod.

I've actually heard of that ... might have been in a movie though.

Sure, practice makes perfect but, unless you learn from your mistakes, you are only perfecting your ability to fail.
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #115588 by MLKstudios
Some of my students grab the mechanics quicker than others. Some have a natural eye for what is interesting to photograph (and a sense of composition). But, both "types" can learn photography.

I could always draw well, but I also studied art history. Now I know WHY an abstract piece or something dadaist is an important piece of work, when others might think their 5 year old could do it.

So yes, anyone CAN become a good photographer. Even a great one. For some it may require more work than for others. But if you dedicate yourself, you can get there.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

The following user(s) said Thank You: ebusby
12 years 9 months ago #115590 by Baydream

Scotty wrote: A photographer is just somebody who takes pictures.

:agree:

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #115602 by effron
Do you think anyone can be a photographer?

Yup

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #115606 by Baydream

effron wrote: Do you think anyone can be a photographer?

Yup

Isn't that "Yuppers"? :toocrazy:

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #115607 by Aldric
It is much easier to take Photos now than it would of been 50 years ago ,,,,,So there is more people that can shoot a camera ,,,,more opportunity to take photos so more photos more chances of getting 1 good shot ,,,Before in the age of Film on a good day I would shoot 36 to 50 shots and wait a week for the results now a good day may be 600 ,,,,

And beauty is in the eye of the beholder ,,,so what is good ,,,You may compose the right way but I don't like the subject ,,,Who's to say

Pictures are like music everybody doesn't like all of it ,,,

You may post 10 pics ,,,and your Fav. is not the ONE that you get the most likes or comments on ,,,,

So there is no answer to the Question

The following user(s) said Thank You: DJ Tangeman
12 years 9 months ago #115614 by Baydream

Aldric wrote: It is much easier to take Photos now than it would of been 50 years ago ,,,,,So there is more people that can shoot a camera ,,,,more opportunity to take photos so more photos more chances of getting 1 good shot ,,,Before in the age of Film on a good day I would shoot 36 to 50 shots and wait a week for the results now a good day may be 600 ,,,,

And beauty is in the eye of the beholder ,,,so what is good ,,,You may compose the right way but I don't like the subject ,,,Who's to say

Pictures are like music everybody doesn't like all of it ,,,

You may post 10 pics ,,,and your Fav. is not the ONE that you get the most likes or comments on ,,,,

So there is no answer to the Question

For your first post, well thought out. I enter few competitions and my "favorites" are not usually the ones that get the highest ratings.
By the way . :welcomeclan

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #115623 by The Time Capturer
I agree. I have some of my "stock images" in my albums and they seem to get lower ratings than the pix I really didn't think people would like. It's all perspective and what people find appealing.

Sure, practice makes perfect but, unless you learn from your mistakes, you are only perfecting your ability to fail.
12 years 9 months ago #115642 by photomandan
Hmmmmm....... "composition" can be taught (rule of thirds, etc) but I'm not so sure that's the same as having an "eye".... from my experience it just seems to come natural to some people - - - a gift. I see a "negative" aspect of my personality - having "ADD" - as being a huge contributor to my success as a wedding photojournalist.... that aspect of "distraction" .... being hyper-aware of everything around you that develops into an intuitive advantage.

Dan Evangelho Photography
12 years 9 months ago #115653 by crystal

Pettigrew wrote: This just stir up some interesting answers! :evil: I for one think not, some people just don't have an eye for photography. Now granted you can hand a camera to a monkey and they can manage to take a photo, so really anyone can take a photo. I think there is a line between clicking a button on a camera and that called a "photographer".

What I find comical is people who buy a camera and then make claims of being a photographer. {I have a camera in my hand, therefor I must be a photographer}

So the table has been set, who wants to jump in on this conversation?

:agree: :thumbsup:
12 years 9 months ago #115655 by crystal

:agree:
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #115696 by Stealthy Ninja
Addressing the thread question.
1. Depends on what "photographer" means.
2. I think anyone can be a photographer, not everyone is good.
3. It's pretty darn subjective.
4. People who aren' t good can still make money from it, so that's a poor standard to judge a photographer by.

I wrote this before I read this:

And I obviously agree.

Crazyguy wrote: Not everyone,

Here are my projections:

1%- Peter Like
5% - Pro's of pro's
10% - Wedding and Portrait photographers
40%- Hobbyist and humble
44% - People who's skills are less then par, but claim to be pro's :rofl:

I'm probably in the 44%.

Here's the kicker though. I have exactly the same tripod as Peter Lik (one of the ones he uses at least), so by pure awesome ninja logic, I must be as good as Peter Lik. Put me in that 1% please. :rofl:
12 years 9 months ago #115738 by chasrich
I won't be a photographer until I go Google Peter Lik (or is it Like?) and discover what tripod he uses. One question... What's a tripod? :whistle:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #115748 by Stealthy Ninja
:banana:

chasrich wrote: I won't be a photographer until I go Google Peter Lik (or is it Like?) and discover what tripod he uses. One question... What's a tripod? :whistle:

It's "Lik" but it's pronounced like "Like", like, you get it, like, man? It's like totally radically, like, great!

Here's a good link for you Charles: lmgtfy.com/?q=Peter+Lik%27s+Tripod+Setup

One thing for sure, he seems to use a RRS head and a Gitzo tripod.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024