Backup-Backup-Backup

12 years 9 months ago #115813 by Shadowfixer1
This is a message to all who don't back up. My primary back up hard drive developed some type of problem yesterday and I began losing files that I could access. It kept getting worse during the day. I had to reformat that drive and have been restoring data from my secondary back up hard drive to it all night. in fact it's still going, so I urge all of you to have some type of redundency built into your system. I used to rely on CD's but I've found several of the first ones I did have detoriated and are no longer accessible. I will be nervous until the total backup is complete later today. i may pop a brewski when it's finished.
12 years 9 months ago #115854 by Dori
Sorry to hear that.

Been there done that.:(

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 9 months ago #115898 by photobod
Yeah i think quite a few of us have been there Randy, good heads up tho for those that havent, I know I am paranoid about my backups but I am really glad I am better that way than not at all, I have lots of friends who dont back up anything then moan when losing something, I love it when I get to say told you so :rofl:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 9 months ago #115927 by Maria21
I am such an organizational nut that alot of my friends think I have OCD..LOL I back everything up 3 times & have then divided by session/client/date. If I lose one of those I have another somewhere else to access them. I even reburn my CD's when they appear to need it & before the information gets lost or impared.

Sorry to hear you are going through that headache now Shadow, but it's good to hear you did have a back-up.

Zerfing's Photographic Imaging
12 years 9 months ago #115953 by fotozone
Backing up is one of those things I slack on. I keep telling my self that I will get my photos in order and do that. I think I need to just do it then organize my photos and start over. It is better to save a mess than loose everything.
12 years 9 months ago #115975 by chasrich
Timely reminder. Thanks! :goodpost: :agree: :thumbsup:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 9 months ago #115989 by MLKstudios
RAID!!!

;)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #115990 by Joves

MLKstudios wrote: RAID!!!

;)

I have to agree having a Raid array is the best way to go. But I also backup on my external which goes into a fireproof safe rated for electronics.
BTW sorry to hear about you plight.

12 years 9 months ago #116021 by Baydream

Joves wrote:

MLKstudios wrote: RAID!!!

;)

I have to agree having a Raid array is the best way to go. But I also backup on my external which goes into a fireproof safe rated for electronics.
BTW sorry to hear about you plight.

:agree: RAID is of limited value unless one instance is off-site. I too have a backup in a fireproof safe. I never format my cards without backing up my hard drive and backing that up to an external. That way there are at LEAST two copies of everything.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #116036 by Scotty
You also might want to back up on web storage as well. ;)

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #116062 by Shadowfixer1
These drives don't only have my pics on them, I store all my AutoCad drawing files that i have subcontracted for clients. Backing up is a have to in my case. I keep a hard drive off site that I update weekly. I will get a RAID one day if the economy ever picks up. Housing and engineering are not quite in high demand right now.
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #116073 by The Time Capturer
I write the burn date on my CDs and reburn them every couple of years. On-site RAID won't help if your house burns, is broken into, or is destroyed by nature (heaven forbid). A backup copy at one or more other locations, including another town/city is essential.

Sure, practice makes perfect but, unless you learn from your mistakes, you are only perfecting your ability to fail.
12 years 9 months ago #116088 by photobod

Maria21 wrote: I am such an organizational nut that alot of my friends think I have OCD..LOL I back everything up 3 times & have then divided by session/client/date. If I lose one of those I have another somewhere else to access them. I even reburn my CD's when they appear to need it & before the information gets lost or impared.

Sorry to hear you are going through that headache now Shadow, but it's good to hear you did have a back-up.

Thankgod there is another back up nut out there Maria, thought I was on my own, I also have all my photos on a online gallery called photobox, if the worst ever happened my photo are safe there.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024