What are some ways to make money with taking photos?

12 years 9 months ago #116403 by Number 7
What I'm looking for here is something for the rookies, where flawless composition and perfection that is a product of years and years skills isn't needed. Something that will allow me to be behind my camera and build some experience while making a few bucks.

What's out there?

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #116413 by Baydream
For those requirements, you may find a locally-owned gift shop or restaurant that will display your photos as "decor" and have a "contact card". You would remit a fee or have the shop sell them and keep a commission.
Some places like hospitals, libraries and other venues may offer space but you will have to have a "portfolio" to show that your work is worthy. You will have expenses in matting and framing.
If you are into sports, you could contact youth sports groups about taking team and individual photos and offer prints (you better practice and be pretty good or you won't get "repeat" customers.

These are the best I can offer for rookies. If there is a photo club in your area, join it and possibly get in on a group show.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #116432 by gamer
Offer portraits to friends, coworkers..and only charge them what it would cost to print plus a small markup for $ in your pocket. Or burn the photos to CD and charge $20/CD.

12 years 9 months ago #116479 by Richard K Photography
You could always check with Realtor's on photographing their houses they are listing

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #116499 by chasrich
In a word... Blackmail!

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 9 months ago #116501 by Number 7

chasrich wrote: In a word... Blackmail!

Is that legal? :rofl: :rofl:

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #116504 by chasrich

Number 7 wrote:

If you have to ask then maybe this is not a good career path for you.

Maybe your local police department needs someone to take mug shots... :rofl:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 9 months ago #116505 by Baydream

Number 7 wrote:

Cameras are considered contraband in jail. :slapface:

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #116522 by Johnnie
Want to make some money? Take yourself and your camera with the appropiate lenses to all of the Youth and High School sports activities. Travel to all of the schools etc. Don't miss a game! Take photos of the activity and make sure you get some good action face shots! Photograph both teams the same way. Just when the game is almost over, walk around to each guest watching the game and hand them a card with your website on and explain that they can see the photo's from todays game and that can order prints if they like! It works and you can make some $$$$$.

12 years 9 months ago #116577 by crystal
Well from what I can see, you are new to at least owning DSLR. I have no idea how your photographs are. I'm going to assume fair, because you seem to eager to jump on that wagon to sell your work.

Your work needs to be excellent, professional to sell. To earn enough money for what you assume to think you should be getting.
Or
Your photo can be crap but price it cheap and people will buy.
Such as $10 for an 8x10 frame print. No matter the quality of the photo, if someone likes the subject, they will buy it.

I have my work in cosignment shops and have sold several. You could try that. Please know, with cosignments the owner takes about 50%. So if you want more then $10 per print, you have to mark it up to a decent price. If you mark it up too high, your work will never sell (of course depending how professional the photos are).

If you really want to make some extra $, shoot portraits/seniors, weddings, sports etc.. Overall portrait field brings in the money....compare to the snapshot of a flower.
12 years 9 months ago #116580 by DestinDave
:goodpost:
Good replies John, Johnnie, Crystal.. :thumbsup:

Charles - good method for big money but it has some serious built-in hazards.. I know - I watch CSI occasionally! :unsure:

Dave Speicher
I thought I wanted a career.. turns out I only wanted paychecks.
dlspeicher.zenfolio.com

12 years 9 months ago #116746 by The Original Daisy

Johnnie wrote: Want to make some money? Take yourself and your camera with the appropiate lenses to all of the Youth and High School sports activities. Travel to all of the schools etc. Don't miss a game! Take photos of the activity and make sure you get some good action face shots! Photograph both teams the same way. Just when the game is almost over, walk around to each guest watching the game and hand them a card with your website on and explain that they can see the photo's from todays game and that can order prints if they like! It works and you can make some $$$$$.

Hey that is a good idea, do you need model release forms on each of the players? What sort of pricing would you charge? :thumbsup:

12 years 9 months ago #116808 by Joves
You might also try doctors offices with the card as well. Especially Plastic Surgeons offices. Most of their customers have money to blow. If you have any calm and serene scenes the a Dentists office. Also if you might try Postcards, or greeting cards if you can find a place to place them. Any way you look at it you will have to spend some cash to make it as is always the case.

12 years 9 months ago #116907 by Number 7

The Original Daisy wrote:

Johnnie wrote: Want to make some money? Take yourself and your camera with the appropiate lenses to all of the Youth and High School sports activities. Travel to all of the schools etc. Don't miss a game! Take photos of the activity and make sure you get some good action face shots! Photograph both teams the same way. Just when the game is almost over, walk around to each guest watching the game and hand them a card with your website on and explain that they can see the photo's from todays game and that can order prints if they like! It works and you can make some $$$$$.

Hey that is a good idea, do you need model release forms on each of the players? What sort of pricing would you charge? :thumbsup:

I'm interested in knowing this also, would model request forms be needed?

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024