What would happen if you use a cheap lens on a expensive camera?

12 years 9 months ago #116936 by J bour
Will anything happen if one shoots with a really cheap lens..like $100 and put it on a $5000 camera? Will the lens still capture good images? or will the pictures all be garbage?

12 years 9 months ago #116955 by Baydream
Depends on the lens. The camera will not compensate much for the quality of the lens. There are decent less expensive lenses out there but the best driver in the world can not see clearly through a dirty windshield (windscreen across the pond :) ), but a poor driver can be a bit better with a clear view.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #117310 by KCook
Except for my cheap cell phone, I've never seen any camera give an image that I would call garbage.

Ditto the post above. Also depends on the lighting. If the lighting is hideous, the better lens should have less flare.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 9 months ago #117320 by Joves
What would happen is you would still get a photo. Wether the image is good or bad is up to the shooter. While the cheaper lens may not give you the aperture you would want in certain situations, if you know how to use your tools that still isnt a problem.

12 years 9 months ago #117323 by Rob pix4u2
For example sake the 50mm F1.8 Nikkor lens is a $100 lens and it renders some great photos regardless of the body used. I have also taken good pics with a disposable Fuji camera with 400 speed film ( see below )

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

Attachments:
12 years 9 months ago #117332 by Scotty

Rob pix4u2 wrote: For example sake the 50mm F1.8 Nikkor lens is a $100 lens and it renders some great photos regardless of the body used. I have also taken good pics with a disposable Fuji camera with 400 speed film ( see below )

No offense, but is that a bad scan?

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #117336 by Rob pix4u2
yes unfortunately my scanner is old and decrepit

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 9 months ago #117338 by Scotty

Rob pix4u2 wrote: yes unfortunately my scanner is old and decrepit

lolol fair enough rob. You usually post top notch work. Was just curious. You need a new scanner!

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #117420 by DestinDave

Scotty wrote:

lolol fair enough rob. You usually post top notch work. Was just curious. You need a new scanner!

I'm getting old and decrepit.. does my wife need a new me? :rofl:

Dave Speicher
I thought I wanted a career.. turns out I only wanted paychecks.
dlspeicher.zenfolio.com

12 years 9 months ago #117430 by chasrich

DestinDave wrote:

Scotty wrote:

I'm getting old and decrepit.. does my wife need a new me? :rofl:

Not when the pensions are starting to arrive... :woohoo:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #117467 by Henry Peach

J bour wrote: Will anything happen if one shoots with a really cheap lens..like $100 and put it on a $5000 camera?

You would be ridiculed by folks who like to worry what other folks are up to. They might accuse you of not knowing what's up, and would judge you "not a real photographer" based on your equipment choice, without ever actually looking at your photos. ;)

J bour wrote: Will the lens still capture good images? or will the pictures all be garbage?

There are some junk lenses out there, but in general even the cheap lenses introduced these days by well known brands are capable of very good image quality. Particularly if you are actually showing prints or almost any display other than pixel peeping. Cheap lenses do have weaknesses, but IMO the folks mentioned above, who would judge you based on gear, would almost never be able to spot the difference even in large prints.

Whether the pics will be garbage is completely up to the photographer and their skill level.
12 years 9 months ago #117588 by Shadowfixer1

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024