How good of a photographer are you?

12 years 9 months ago #116960 by Jayyyyyyy
I have thought about this a lot over the years...
I look back at my first set of photos and see I have gain so much since then. My vision of photography has changed.

Anyone else see a difference in themselves?

12 years 9 months ago #116964 by chasrich
Constant growth for me. Slow at times but always growing and improving.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 9 months ago #116965 by Baydream
Better than I was but not as good as I'm going to be.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #116968 by Rob pix4u2
I see a monumental amount of growth and development as a shooter over the past 46 years. I also see a great amount of growth in my shooting hockey over the past 18 years. I have not reached my peak yet in that I am constantly striving to get better at some areas of the craft that I need more practice in such as Macro and Landscape photography

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 9 months ago #116975 by Dori
I run through my old shots that I once thought were good and think 'That is awful'! How good of a photographer am I? I really don't know, I do know that I have improved and will continue to do so.

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 9 months ago #117013 by Tammyluvshorses
I am so so. I have taken notice I've gotten better, but I have so much more to learn.

12 years 9 months ago #117034 by Johnnie

Dori wrote: I run through my old shots that I once thought were good and think 'That is awful'! How good of a photographer am I? I really don't know, I do know that I have improved and will continue to do so.

I believe that Dori has hit it straight on for most of us .... your only as good as your last shot. We are all constantly learning and improving no matter how long we have looked through a lens.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dori
12 years 9 months ago #117048 by dartmanz
As I look through my photos over the past 30+ years, I have to agree that my photography has become much richer. However, there are still some of the older film pics that are still very good. I took more time taking the photo because it was so expensive to purchase the film, get it developed and printed. Nowadays, it's way to easy to hold the button down and fire off 30 frames!

What is different is now I have control over the output - not a lab and what they thought it should be! With CS5 & LR3 I can now make the photos as I remembered it. I try to use as little manipulation as possible. The "A Little Bit of Heaven" I posted yesterday has only 1 tweak! The rest was all camera work. Can't say that about all my photos but this one I can.

I feel I still have a lot to learn.
Dan Zeis

"The greatest waste in the world is the difference between what we are and what we could become." Ben Herbst
12 years 9 months ago #117050 by Scotty
Somewhere between Peter Lik and god awful.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #117053 by Jayyyyyyy

Scotty wrote: Somewhere between Peter Lik and god awful.

That's a big stretch.

12 years 9 months ago #117343 by Joves
Well Im fair but then Im picky. People I know say Im better than I personally think I am. I can see where I screwd the pooch on my photos. But I know I will never be perfect, but it doesnt mean I dont try to get there.

12 years 9 months ago #117460 by Scott Grant
I'm a green horn, just soaking up as much knowledge as I can

12 years 9 months ago #117464 by Stealthy Ninja

Johnnie wrote:

Dori wrote: I run through my old shots that I once thought were good and think 'That is awful'! How good of a photographer am I? I really don't know, I do know that I have improved and will continue to do so.

I believe that Dori has hit it straight on for most of us .... your only as good as your last shot. We are all constantly learning and improving no matter how long we have looked through a lens.

Yes I agree. Often I look back on my old stuff and think it sucks bad.

Though sometimes I come across a gem I forgot I took. For example this one:

Totally forgot I took that shot till a few days ago. I think I took it about 1 year ago.
12 years 9 months ago #117600 by Gammill

Scotty wrote: Somewhere between Peter Lik and god awful.

Me too! What a small world!

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024