What would higher FPS be good for with taking photos?

12 years 8 months ago #124030 by Moe
At what point does it become just bragging rights? How much off a gain would be from 5fps to 8fps? Worth getting the addition battery pack?

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #124076 by Stealthy Ninja
Depends on what you shoot. My camera can do 9 fps or something like that. I only use it for action shots where I can't guarantee I'll get the timing right.

Even then, it's usually in 3 frame bursts (like a machine gun).
12 years 8 months ago #124088 by MLKstudios
Henri Cartier-Bresson, who gave us The Decisive Moment (shooting at just the right time and place) used a camera with 1 FPS. ;)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 8 months ago #124101 by cod
When I moved up from my D70 at 3fps to my D300 at 7 fps I definitely appreciated the difference, with sports, movement sequences in stage performances and active wildlife. It's difficult to judge the exact moment to press the shutter sometimes and a high frame rate improves the chances of a good shot, though it doesn't make up for poor judgement. With all the skill in the world there is still an element of luck in these situations and a higher frame rate helps. I'm getting more and better action shots now (and lots more junk photos but with digital that doesn't matter). The move up was absolutely worth it.

On the other hand, I could go up from 7fps to 8fps if I purchase the battery grip, a different battery, the required "optional" grip part to fit the different battery, and, in my case, a new L-bracket to fit my camera plus grip. That's several hundred dollars worth of stuff for +1fps - definitely NOT worth it to me. If I earned my living from sports photography maybe, but I don't.

Whenever I shoot high speed continuous I'm reminded of something I once read that puts it in perspective. Say I have a shutter apeed of 1/1000 sec and a frame rate of 10 fps. If I shoot continuously for 1 second then I'm only capturing 10/1000 or one hundredth of that time. I'm still missing 99% of the action. The photographer's skill and judgement are far more important than the camera's frame rate.

Chris O'Donoghue
Winnipeg, Canada
codonoghue.prosite.com

12 years 8 months ago #124113 by Stealthy Ninja

MLKstudios wrote: Henri Cartier-Bresson, who gave us The Decisive Moment (shooting at just the right time and place) used a camera with 1 FPS. ;)

He's also dead! :blink:

I agree, good timing is more important than spray and pray, but a burst rate is a good idea when you're doing sports and things that are really fast paced.

Henri Cartier-Bresson was a street photographer/journalist, not a sports/wildlife photographer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Baydream
12 years 8 months ago #124186 by Number 7
FPS is only as good as the memory cards transfer rate correct? If the card can't write the data quick then you just spinning your wheels?

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #124194 by Baydream

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

MLKstudios wrote: Henri Cartier-Bresson, who gave us The Decisive Moment (shooting at just the right time and place) used a camera with 1 FPS. ;)

He's also dead! :blink:

I agree, good timing is more important than spray and pray, but a burst rate is a good idea when you're doing sports and things that are really fast paced.

Henri Cartier-Bresson was a street photographer/journalist, not a sports/wildlife photographer.

:agree: Shooting an eagle taking off and landing is a great spot for high FPS. It is amazing how many different wing, tail and talon positions are in one one takeoff.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #124348 by Frank The Tank

Number 7 wrote: FPS is only as good as the memory cards transfer rate correct? If the card can't write the data quick then you just spinning your wheels?

Get a Hoodman memory card, their transfer rates are the fastest

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #124541 by Stealthy Ninja

Number 7 wrote: FPS is only as good as the memory cards transfer rate correct? If the card can't write the data quick then you just spinning your wheels?

Usually the cards have a buffer. When that fills up the FPS slows down till it can clear itself (i.e. you stop shooting for a while). The speed the card clears the buffer depends on the speed of the card.

Which is why I (usually) only do 3 shot bursts (which is the correct way :whistle: )
12 years 8 months ago #124546 by Joves
For wildlife I want all the frames I can get. It isnt like they will stand there and let you get the shot, the only place I see them do that is at the Grand Canyon.
Bubbagoat 28mm

12 years 8 months ago #124560 by Baydream

Joves wrote: For wildlife I want all the frames I can get. It isnt like they will stand there and let you get the shot, the only place I see them do that is at the Grand Canyon.
Bubbagoat 28mm

:agree: When they move, their legs get in interesting positions that a single shot may miss.

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #124681 by Rob pix4u2
for sports it can be the difference between getting THE shot or not

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

Attachments:
12 years 8 months ago #124719 by Henry Peach
I think it depends on what you are shooting, and how fast it moves. I can see how sports and action photographers might find very high fps handy. For the subjects I shoot getting more than a shot or two a second just means more photos to delete.

I do use it when shooting available light hand held with very slow shutter speeds. Sometimes the second or third shot exhibit less camera shake. Very occasionally I use it for hand held HDR bracketing.

You think he could get 1 fps? Those older Leicas have a wind knob instead of a lever. :)
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #124743 by Baydream
I agree with Henry and Rob posted a perfect example for high FPS. It is just like ISO, Aperture and shutter speed. It is situational as to when it's needed. Henry's w light example is spot on. The initial shake from pressing the shutter release has passed and your second or third shot might well be sharper. :goodpost: 's guys.

Here is a continuous shot series of an eagle landing. The last five are continuous.

Photo Comments
Attachments:
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #124744 by Rob pix4u2
Cartier-Bresson wasn't shooting a puck moving at close to 100mph either ! or as John posted and eagle in flight and landing.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024