What would higher FPS be good for with taking photos?

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #124748 by MLKstudios
True dat HP. Probably closer to 0.1 FPS. I can manage about a frame a second (1 FPS) with single stroke cameras though, including the M6. Unless the shutter speed is set really low. I'm much slower using a IIIg with a winding knob. But like you, I don't shoot fast anymore.

BTW Leica AG gave HCB SN #750,000 in 1955 as a gift for selling so many cameras (who didn't want to be HCB at some point and own a Leica M)? Was a double stroke M3 I believe.

They gave Eisenstadt SN 1,000,001 in 1960 (he shot the nurse kissing the sailor in Times Square when WWII ended -- or was it the sailor kissing the nurse)? Ernst got SN 500,000 and SN 1,000,000 went to his son, Dr. Ludwig Leitz.

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 8 months ago #124750 by Baydream

Rob pix4u2 wrote: Cartier-Bresson wasn't shooting a puck moving at close to 100mph either ! or as John posted and eagle in flight and landing.

I read a quote wher ehe indicate dthat his shutter speed was 1/125. "We are passive onlookers in a world that moves perpetually. Our only moment of creation is that 1/125th of a second when the shutter clicks, the signal is given, and motion is stopped..." .
He used a Leica rangefinder, and one lens, a 50mm, for almost all of his life's work.
Ken Rockwell (whether you agree with him or not) offered an amusing observation,
"Cartier-Bresson obviously went to a Parisian camera store, and bought his Leica and lens after much saving and scrimping.

He liked it, and when he went back to get another lens, found out the price, shouted "Merde!" and promptly waked out. Cartier-Bresson never again dared to return to a camera store.

That's why he only shot with one lens his whole career: it's all he could afford, and he came from a very wealthy family!

Why then did he shoot what seems like such an expensive camera? Cartier-Bresson started shooting in the 1930s. In the 1930s, Contax was the good camera, and most serious impromptu photojournalists (all three of them back then) had to settle for Leica instead. Nikons and Canons hadn't been invented yet. "
Interesting opinion from someone who considers C-B an icon.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #124765 by MLKstudios
Many still do consider him one of the great Masters of Photography. I certainly do. He gave us a new way to look at the world (and our humanity). I do believe he often used a 35mm lens as well. Not everything he shot was with the 50mm. See the portrait of Matisse and his doves. Looks like a 35mm (slightly wide) lens to me.

BTW Matisse drew the cover for his book The Decisive Moment which is where the phrase comes from. He used his abstract patterns based on Biomorphic art:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biomorphism

For those looking for workshops, Magnum (HCB helped to organize with R. Capa and "Chim") offers both short and long ones. These are for very serious shooters...

events.magnumphotos.com/events/974750e8e9254f75d309da7b2820f444

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024