Is Peter Lik's Photography considered HDR?

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #127468 by MLKstudios
When HDR first appeared on Flickr (and other places), the normal thing to do was to show just how much HDR was used. I think the natural look is coming more into "fashion" though. People now realize it doesn't have to look HDR to be HDR.

In fact, it allows us to capture (and print) scenes that couldn't be accomplished in a single exposure. It's become a tool used by professionals, who treat it like the Zone System in film photography.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 8 months ago #127566 by John Landolfi

Scotty wrote:

John Landolfi wrote: :goodpost: Beautiful work! I like his images better than Lik's, which, by comparison, seems pandering and sentimental,

You like peter lik's images better than peter like? :kiss:

:huh: You posted a link to Julian De LA Rosa's site, which is what I was responding to, and complimenting.:watching:

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #127669 by Ziggy
Are there any other photographers that have that same look? I think the colors are so vibrant, it would be fun to meet this guy.

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #127855 by MLKstudios
You might like Eliot Porter's color work, but it doesn't look the same on a screen as it does in print.

He used a dye transfer (3-color) printing process, that is archival and also rich in color.

Another very colorful printing tool is an Ilfochrome print (made from a slide or digital). If you have something with red in it, it really sings!

Like Epson's Ultrachrome Inks, Ilfochrome prints are guaranteed to last 200 years. So, a museum "could" collect it. Doubt you'll sue them if it starts to fade in 190 years.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #127887 by Scotty

John Landolfi wrote:

Scotty wrote:

John Landolfi wrote: :goodpost: Beautiful work! I like his images better than Lik's, which, by comparison, seems pandering and sentimental,

You like peter lik's images better than peter like? :kiss:

:huh: You posted a link to Julian De LA Rosa's site, which is what I was responding to, and complimenting.:watching:

I know, all in good fun. :cheers:

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #127900 by MLKstudios
Lik's work makes me want to go up and lick it. ;)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #128021 by John Landolfi

MLKstudios wrote: Lik's work makes me want to go up and lick it. ;)

might help to tone it down...;)

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #128022 by MLKstudios
You can almost taste the color. Was innocent, really. :)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #130365 by Stealthy Ninja
I'd say they're combined exposures more than what most people think HDR is.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024