Poster printing

12 years 8 months ago #128751 by Sawyer
I have a few photos that I would like to have printed to full poster size and I was looking for a place online that specializes in poster size photos. I would like to upload online and be able to have poster size options at my disposal. No mounting is necessary, poster on quality paper is all that is needed.

Suggestions?

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #128763 by MLKstudios
Pro lab $$$$ or a cheap one $?

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 8 months ago #128768 by Wolfman
Mpix does poster size.

12 years 8 months ago #128770 by Sawyer
I'm looking for quality prints

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #128771 by Baydream
I was amazed at the quality I got from a 20x30 at Costco in one hour considering it was taken with an 8mp Canon XT with kit lens. The cost - about $15. Worth a try.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #128792 by Wolfman

Sawyer wrote: I'm looking for quality prints

mpix does quality prints and any other pro lab would do quality prints as well. If mpix didn't do quality prints, they wouldn't be in business.

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #128794 by MLKstudios
The difference will be in the quality of the paper used. A pro lab will use higher quality, for a longer lasting image. Cheaper labs simply use cheaper papers.

The colors, if they don't mess with them should be close. You have to let them know if you want them to correct them for you, or not. If you have a calibrated screen and like the colors you see, then don't let them mess with it. Else, they may be able to improve the colors some.

That's again, the advantage of a pro lab. They will know what is right or wrong with the color. A cheap lab probably won't (though there are exceptions -- see One Hour Photo).

HTH

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #128797 by LeahJean84

Wolfman wrote:

Sawyer wrote: I'm looking for quality prints

mpix does quality prints and any other pro lab would do quality prints as well. If mpix didn't do quality prints, they wouldn't be in business.

:agree: I do all my ordering with Mpix and never once have they let me down. I refer them to everyone I know. But I also do know Staples does printing and I do believe they print poster size.

12 years 8 months ago #128806 by Baydream

MLKstudios wrote: The difference will be in the quality of the paper used. A pro lab will use higher quality, for a longer lasting image. Cheaper labs simply use cheaper papers.

The colors, if they don't mess with them should be close. You have to let them know if you want them to correct them for you, or not. If you have a calibrated screen and like the colors you see, then don't let them mess with it. Else, they may be able to improve the colors some.

That's again, the advantage of a pro lab. They will know what is right or wrong with the color. A cheap lab probably won't (though there are exceptions -- see One Hour Photo).

HTH

Matthew :)

Matthew. Two questions for you. When was the last time you had a poster printed? And when was the lat time you had one printed at, as you call them, a "cheaper lab". I specified not to "adjust" and they did as I asked. Technology changes and some less expensive labs are getting a lot better.

I have had "professional labs" totally mess up prints by making adjustment assumptions.

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #128807 by Henry Peach
Many places offer traditional color prints up to 24"x36". I also use Mpix.com. They do a great job, and I think their prices are very reasonable.

My experience has been that the econo-labs often use Kodak or Fuji papers. Kodak and Fuji only make top quality photo papers. They sell the same papers to the econo-labs as they do to the best labs in the country. In many cases the econo-labs also have similar quality printing machines as full service/pro labs. In some cases they'll even have newer, fancier machines than small, locally owned full service photo labs. The quality difference is in the people running those machines. The photo lab tech working at Walmart might be just as happy in shoes or lawn & garden. They let the machine and software make the printing decisions. At a business that specializes in photography the employees are probably interested in photography, do it themselves, and hopefully are better trained. It's their training and attention to detail that results in a higher quality print. The lab tech influences everything from good color correction (particularly important if you are not processing on a calibrated monitor) to making sure the print isn't damaged in handling.
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #128811 by MLKstudios
Bd, I never have prints done at cheap labs. So, sorry I can't answer you.

Most of my digital work I print myself, on a large Epson.

:)

PS I will agree with both you and HP, in my experience, some labs do an OK job. And some don't.

But, I do know the paper quality can vary as it's the biggest expense in printing.

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #128815 by Baydream
Matt. So you don't know, you made an assumption.

Henry, you are absolutely correct. The Costco I use has had the same staff there since 1980 and they are good.

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #128821 by MLKstudios
I usually recommend Milers, MPIX or White House (WHCC) to my students who are going pro.

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024