Tape over the camera brand during rugby game?

12 years 8 months ago #129707 by Street Shark
I was just watching a rugby game on TV and noticed during one of the close ups of the side line a photographers camera had tape covering up the camera brand. Not to ask a bone head question, but why? Most would be able to tell that the camera looks like a Canon. So why even bother to hide? Like what difference does it matter that we know you are using a Canon? It's not like his secret is out? :rofl:

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #129715 by Baydream
Perhaps the "other brand" was a sponsor of the event and required "hiding" the brand to avoid advertising the competition.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #129718 by JB
Or they were using a top secret camera B) Testing it out for the manufacture

12 years 8 months ago #129722 by Rob pix4u2
Anyone who follows sports knows the cameras with the white lenses are Canon so why hide the moniker on the body? Unless as john said the event was sponsored by Nikon. Marketing a new developmental camera model / testing one at an event would require covering the model number not the brand. Interesting to say the least...

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 8 months ago #129736 by Henry Peach
There could be numerous reasons the photographer was asked to tape the logo including the ones mentioned above. There are many companies involved in televised sports, and any one or several of them may not allow logos except from sponsors and advertisers. The reason for Canon's white lenses is to get around this. They can make us tape the logos, but folks can still see the photographers are using Canon if they know about Canon's white lenses.

I tape over or otherwise cover logos, model numbers, and other identifying marks on my cameras for several reasons.

1) Logos annoy me. I don't wear clothing with clothing brand logos on them, and I don't feel like advertising for Canon either. I support my local college basketball team; other than that I don't do logos. If they want me to advertise for them it will require some sort of compensation.

2) It discourages the fanboys. Every conversation that has started by someone walking up to me and commenting on my red ring has been a complete waste of time.

3) It may discourage some thieves. While photo-geeks can probably ID my camera, the average joe, law abiding or not, probably can't. I don't want people to know I'm walking around with $5000+ in camera gear. Examples: Recently a Russian camera store was completely cleaned out of their Canon and Nikon gear by burglars, but they left all the Leica S2 gear behind. When I shot with Hasselblad cameras people regularly asked me why I wasn't using "pro gear" like Canon and Nikon. Most folks are clueless about the gear, but may have heard that the 5DII or 1D logo means it's a fancy and expensive camera.
12 years 8 months ago #129745 by cod
There's actually a lot of discussion on the net about this. A suitable search will find various forums and posts on the subject. I came across this years ago and from what I recall most of the reasons were either about discouraging potential thieves or not wanting to advertize the brand for various reasons.

Another place you'll come across this is live band performances on TV. You'll usually find logos on instrument amplifiers have been taped over. Apparently this is largley about the show not wanting to be seen to support particular brands.

Chris O'Donoghue
Winnipeg, Canada
codonoghue.prosite.com

12 years 8 months ago #129746 by Happy-pixel
Interesting post Henry. You have me thinking about this. That's a kicker about that store in Russia, even for thief's it's all about common brand recognition!

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #129786 by icepics
Thank god they left the Leicas!

If you watch a football game, notice the pros along the sidelines. Unless it's changed for this season, they'll most likely all be wearing the same vest with whatever logo is the sponsor's for that event. If they use gear of another brand chances are they'll have any brand names covered up. I don't think that's the intended use for gaffer's tape for most photographers but that's the reality of sports today.

I think Rob touched on something like this before, that if you're shooting an event you probably want to wear something plain & dark, and blend into the background. The most I usually did was wear a gray vest that had the logo of the team I was shooting, or maybe a team pin (and their logo was on my press pass). Since so many people in the arena were wearing the team logo it wasn't exactly too noticeable.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #129789 by MLKstudios
Carrying an R6 around FL, someone once asked me, what is a "Lee-ik-ka"?

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 8 months ago #129820 by Henry Peach

MLKstudios wrote: Carrying an R6 around FL, someone once asked me, what is a "Lee-ik-ka"?

I was packing up gear after some wedding portraits, and a guest approached me and asked if my camera was a Canon. I replied "Nope, this is a Hasselblad." He gave a disgusted snort, said "I thought pros used Canon", and walked away completely unimpressed with my no-name Swedish camera. ;)
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #129821 by MLKstudios
Did you see my story about photographing Roger Tory Peterson with a 503? He commented that Victor used the same camera when they were in Sweden to take their pic (him and his wife).

He was shooting birds with a Canon -- an EOS-1 (way before DSLRs).

It's all about marketing, eh?

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 8 months ago #130006 by Dragonflies
I don't do much sports photography, but surprised to hear that certain events will have photographers cover up logos :blink: That really sounds excessive IMHO.

12 years 8 months ago #130104 by Henry Peach

Dragonflies wrote: I don't do much sports photography, but surprised to hear that certain events will have photographers cover up logos :blink: That really sounds excessive IMHO.

I've seen people with tape over logos on shirts, hats, and jackets. If you want the photographers' pass you have to follow their rules.
12 years 8 months ago #130110 by Tgauge9

Rob pix4u2 wrote: Anyone who follows sports knows the cameras with the white lenses are Canon so why hide the moniker on the body? Unless as john said the event was sponsored by Nikon. Marketing a new developmental camera model / testing one at an event would require covering the model number not the brand. Interesting to say the least...

People do not need to follow sports to know Canon uses white lenses, but even with that being said, Canon users could use a non Canon lens, so it's black like everyone else. Couldn't tell a Canon between a Nikon while in the stands or on the field.

12 years 8 months ago #130263 by icepics
You're right, I think the logo needs to be covered up more on camera straps, caps etc. As Henry said the photographers don't have much choice, they have to follow the media rules of the team, venue, league. So do fans actually, some places have rules on what type camera, lens is acceptable to bring in.

Sharon
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024