Have you ever dropped your camera? I did last night :(

12 years 8 months ago #134460 by Rawley Photos
I went out for some late night shooting last night. I had my camera bag in the trunk of the car unzipped because I was going in and out of it changing my lens. When I got home I wasn't paying attention and just grabbed the camera bag handle and lifted it out of car. Guess what came falling out?

My camera with lens attached, another lens and if that wasn't bad enough a flash :pinch: The only visible damage is the hood that was attached to the camera's lens has a crack in it. Knock on wood with fingers crossed, that's the only damage.

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #134463 by chasrich
Ouchie... I felt that all the way over here. :unsure:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 8 months ago #134503 by Henry Peach
At least a dozen times over the last 20 years. Fortunately they are tougher than they appear. Sometimes you hear folks talking about the good old days of durable metal cameras. I've had more of those require repair for drops than new-fangled, plastic DSLRs.
12 years 8 months ago #134516 by Dori
:pinch: Ouch!!! Not yet... Glad it survived!!

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 8 months ago #134525 by Rawley Photos

Henry Peach wrote: At least a dozen times over the last 20 years. Fortunately they are tougher than they appear. Sometimes you hear folks talking about the good old days of durable metal cameras. I've had more of those require repair for drops than new-fangled, plastic DSLRs.

I don't feel so bad now. But thank goodness these are built pretty tough!

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #134526 by Rawley Photos
I guess I'm just hoping the insides are OK

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #134527 by MLKstudios

Rawley Photos wrote: I guess I'm just hoping the insides are OK

I'd be testing it. ASAP.

:)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 8 months ago #134537 by Liss
Yes I have and the first time I did it, I thought I was in a lot of trouble. I really thought I broke the camera, but I didn't. Not even a scratch.

12 years 8 months ago #134657 by icepics
Have I ever dropped a camera... :rofl:

:rofl: Oh, what was the question?? LOL Every nick and ding brings back a memory. The first SLR I bought when I graduated from college has been thru a lot of years of use to say the least; it's worth next to nothing but I just found an old lens to fit it so am going to get it repaired (the last run-in w/concrete cracked the mirror and it's just, well, out of whack). It's still usable as is but just barely!

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #134686 by TheNissanMan
I knocked mine over last week after not seperating the tripod legs properly, the 10-20 is now showing a decent amount of damage but is still working thank god, no damage to the camera whatsoever, was a heart stopping moment...

12 years 8 months ago #134720 by Henry Peach
Most recently I didn't exactly drop it, but I had one crash to the pavement. I was walking along looking at the LCD, and didn't notice a high curb. Stepped off it and me and the camera slammed into the ground. Fortunately the lens hood took the hit (a big, hard, plastic one). I was banged up pretty good, and couldn't believe the camera and lens were okay, but they were. Big scuff on the hood, but I can live with that. Don't chimp and walk! :slapface: <--me calling myself stupid
12 years 8 months ago #134721 by Boydee
I would feel sick in the stomach. Good luck.

12 years 8 months ago #134722 by Dwcc05
I haven't, but every time I think I have it put up high enough where one of my 3 kids can't reach it, one of the little boogers, gets a hold of the strap, and down it goes. My flash is broke, due to that.

12 years 8 months ago #134742 by pkelly001
The cameras are built very tough, luckily, however not all photographers are. A semi-pro friend of mine got up on a step ladder to get a bit of height when taking a group portrait. Leaning over to get the right angle, he promptly fell off and landed on his Canon 40D. Camera, perfect, no damage. Photographer, 3 broken ribs!!

I'm more worried about my ribs than my camera!

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #134760 by Tru Photography1
:( Sorry to hear that,but hopefully its ok on the inside to. Good luck with it.Also I love your profile pic,it is cool

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024