Have you ever dropped your camera? I did last night :(

12 years 6 months ago #157589 by Dori
Ouch! :(

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 6 months ago #157591 by boriqua latina
thats terrible to hear! :(

12 years 6 months ago #157599 by orion
I have dropped a camera some years back....i was using a hasselblad medium format camera, i was taking photos at a fire, when someone pulled me out the way of the roof falling, i dropped the camera and metz 60 ct4 flash.....camera was fine (built to last) flash head broke off tho. Lucky ish

12 years 4 months ago #177029 by Ron Staley
Getting out of the car, I dropped my Canon S1IS, breaking the battery door the day after I ordered a Canon Sx40 HS. Fortunately I was able to trade my daughter a Tamron lens from my film camera for her DSLR and she gave me her Cannon S3IS which is an upgrade to be my back-up camera. The camera can be fixed but probably not worth the cost as I now have a replacement.

12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #177336 by Joiemagic
Story #3
Just happened this past weekend.... Was at a father / son event for my son's school at a pool hall. Brought my camera along to get some pics of the event. About halfway thru, pulled out my camera, flash and flash bracket. Was trying to attach the flash bracket tot he camera but was having all sorts of problems and could not get the screw to set right (a good half hour I am trying)... anyway, I thought I had finally got it on, so I attached the flash, then placed it down on the table, while I went to get set to shoot my shot. As I was looking at the pool table, I notice something rolloing along near my feet and when I look, I realize it is my camera (Only the camera, not the flash or flash bracket). When I looked back at the table, I see the flash bracket had fallen over and I guess I did not have the camera attached securely like I thought I did and it popped off the flash bracket, off the four foot table and down to the floor where it came rolling back to me...

Unfortunately, this time, the camera is really screwed up... Turns on, while switch is in the off position and won't turn off (have to remove battery), turns off while setting up to take photos (have to turn switch off and on again), and lastly, sometimes fails to record the photo, even after it sounds like it is takiing the picture... Went out this mornig to test the camera and take some shots and found that it sometimes did not record anything when I took a picture (can't explain). Looks like It will be going back to Canon for a look-see and estimate. Have been wanting to upgrade for some time... now just gotta see what it will cost to repair, or will I be better off doing my upgrade to the 60D. We shall see.... Lesson Learned: Quit while you're ahead.

Joie Fadde
Fadde Photography / Sports Shots, Etc.
"Capturing the Timeless Moments of Life"

On Flickr
www.flickr.com/photos/faddephotography/

12 years 4 months ago #177472 by Dr. Docter
I have never drop my camera, but I have came close. The one time I was attaching the camera to the tripod and I swear it was all attached, but I went to move the camera/tripod and the camera fell right off, good thing is the camera's strap got caught on the tripod, so it never hit the ground.

12 years 4 months ago #177507 by Tamgerine
I once dropped a Canon 5d Mark II from a galloping horse. That thing was fine, what a beast! Though it didn't completely survive the whole deployment, there was a small crack in the display screen. But otherwise totally functional.
12 years 4 months ago #177550 by Gary Trent photography
Here's my story:
It's mid winter.
I'm walking the edge of the river shooting eagles.
I step back and the ice cracks under my feet and down I go ... LOL
To save me from falling completely in the river,
I held my right hand out to break the fall.
Guess what .... my camera is now UNDER WATER .... OMG !

Seeing I was only a few blocks from home, I rushed back
(with frozen water sloshing in my boots) and immediately opened
the camera up removing card, batteries lens off, etc.
I let the camera dry for 3 days without touching it.
Today, it works just fine !
Don't let this happen in salt water though
> LOL

PS: believe me those eagles were laughing their beaks
off seeing that !

GaryTrent photography (Canada)

Owner of
Art Effects Gallery,
Grand Forks, B.C. Canada

Please visit me on Multiply:
whazit2u.multiply.com/

12 years 3 months ago #186133 by jeff222
yes I have my old Pentax k1000 not digital into 6 feet of water, luckily clear, so I had to dive in and get it, pulled it apart, dried it out then reconstructed it, and I must say it worked much better than before

12 years 3 months ago #186766 by Stealthy Ninja
My lens dropped out of my dry cabinet thing and onto the floor. It the hood and was fine. They can take a minor drop.
11 years 10 months ago #233797 by bikelawyer
Hope your camera ends up A-OK... I was walking up concrete steps with my 24-70L on my T2i... I was carrying it with my hand around the lens and the strap around my wrist... I missed a step and heard the front of that lens smack into the next step.. very sickening... loosened the filter... the 24-70 became a 30-35...

I sent it to Precision Camera for repair. They did a great job, for a VERY reasonable price, and were quick - couple weeks total from mailing to return - vs. 6-8 weeks and hundreds more through a local chain shop... I was very happy with the work they did to make this expensive piece of glass work again!

Steve Magas

11 years 10 months ago #233883 by Sawyer
I've had a lens roll off a table, does that count?

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
11 years 10 months ago #234020 by Stealthy Ninja
I've dropped another person's lens and (as I said above) a lens feel a short distance out of my lens cabinet onto the floor once). Both times there was 0 damage. The first time (with someone else's lens) it was a kit lens. Not an expensive, metal bodied fancy pants lens. It took the fall no problem.

Another time my camera bag was a tad too heavy for the hook on the back of a public toilet door and it dropped 1.5m or so to the ground. Everything was OK aside from a "protective" filter that shattered. Carefully cleaned out the shattered glass and it was all ok.

I've never dropped a camera though. I've bumped it a few times on things as I walked past. Never even thought twice about it. They're very tough actually.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024