Have you ever dropped your camera? I did last night :(

12 years 8 months ago #134769 by Kathi
Have I ever dropped my camera? Yes. And I don't want to talk about it. Actually, the camera was fine but the lens was trashed. Expensive mistake.

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #134779 by Joiemagic
Two times - with damage - two different cameras.

#1 - Canon EOS Elan: Was at Shea Stadium about 8 or 9 years ago for Fuji Photo Day. Early in the morning, arrived at Shea with my kids... Waited in a line for about 2 hours, then they shuffled you in from the centerfield wall (amazing feeling to see the stadium from that perspective.... Anyway...) Then we get to walk completely around the warning track and on field, are the players... sitting in chairs, although some did come to the ropes, and you got to take their picture. The ones who came to the ropes were great cause they would take the close-ups with the kids... Well, I make it around the stadium, get the pictures, including one of Mike Piazza... and am heading back out thru the centerfield wall, go to put my camera away in my bag, while walking and, well..... I missed! Camera was not completely in the bag when I let go... and crashing to the ground it went, shattering my Sigma Lens to pieces connected by wires... Lesson Learned: Stop Walking To Put Camera Away.

#2 - Canon Rebel XTi: Last December - Shooting a Sweet 16, first time using my flash bracket now that I finally had the Remote Flash Cord (Canon). Getting great shots and decided I wanted to get some "Party Atmosphere" shots from an elevated height. So, I mount my Camera with remote shutter release, Flash Bracket and Flash on my tripod and begin to raise the camera to the heighest the tripod will let me and right when I get to the top... the camera, flash bracket and flash tip over and with the extra weight and momentum....comes flying off the tripod and to the ground.... Flash and flash end of the Flash Cord snapped apart... Flash was unable to be used for the rest of the party.... Camera was working fine, cause the flash broke the fall... Had to take the Candle Lighting pictures with the pop-up flash... Lucky it was towards the end of the evening and I had most of the shots I wanted to get.... Lesson Learned: Check to make sure all tripod adjusters are tightened to avoid possible tip overs...

Those are my two stories...

Joie Fadde
Fadde Photography / Sports Shots, Etc.
"Capturing the Timeless Moments of Life"

On Flickr
www.flickr.com/photos/faddephotography/

12 years 8 months ago #134795 by Joves
:rofl:
I have lost count as to haow many times I have had it drop or slam in to something. Actually every camera I have had has dropped. So far my D300 has held up well, even after falling on a lens hard enough to knock the aperture blades out of their place.

12 years 8 months ago #134833 by Alex
Yes...once 2 years ago. I was up in Pennsylvania at Corvettes of Carlisle show. I had a booth set up for my old company and had set my camera down on table and was talking to a client. I heard a few people make a EKKKK noise and I turned around and someone had bumped into the table and knocked my camera with my 70-200mm to the ground. I was lucky... the ground was soft grass.

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #134840 by fotozone
No, but a few days ago I had a very close call. Something like what happened to you I got my bag out of the car I THOUGHT I had zipped it when I finished shooting but had only done half of it, luckily I had fastened the strap across the camera. When I got in the house and saw that one side of my bag was unzipped it scared the "you know what" out of me. Oh I should add it is a backpack and I had slung it over my shoulder as if it were properly closed, I am lucky that I did not lose a lens, lesson learned. Note to self check zipper before picking up bag.
12 years 8 months ago #135233 by Lindsey
Sorry to say yes, but I was lucky. Not damage done

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #135381 by Scott Grant
Knock on wood no!

12 years 8 months ago #135529 by Master Photograffer

Joiemagic wrote: Two times - with damage - two different cameras.

#1 - Canon EOS Elan: Was at Shea Stadium about 8 or 9 years ago for Fuji Photo Day. Early in the morning, arrived at Shea with my kids... Waited in a line for about 2 hours, then they shuffled you in from the centerfield wall (amazing feeling to see the stadium from that perspective.... Anyway...) Then we get to walk completely around the warning track and on field, are the players... sitting in chairs, although some did come to the ropes, and you got to take their picture. The ones who came to the ropes were great cause they would take the close-ups with the kids... Well, I make it around the stadium, get the pictures, including one of Mike Piazza... and am heading back out thru the centerfield wall, go to put my camera away in my bag, while walking and, well..... I missed! Camera was not completely in the bag when I let go... and crashing to the ground it went, shattering my Sigma Lens to pieces connected by wires... Lesson Learned: Stop Walking To Put Camera Away.

#2 - Canon Rebel XTi: Last December - Shooting a Sweet 16, first time using my flash bracket now that I finally had the Remote Flash Cord (Canon). Getting great shots and decided I wanted to get some "Party Atmosphere" shots from an elevated height. So, I mount my Camera with remote shutter release, Flash Bracket and Flash on my tripod and begin to raise the camera to the heighest the tripod will let me and right when I get to the top... the camera, flash bracket and flash tip over and with the extra weight and momentum....comes flying off the tripod and to the ground.... Flash and flash end of the Flash Cord snapped apart... Flash was unable to be used for the rest of the party.... Camera was working fine, cause the flash broke the fall... Had to take the Candle Lighting pictures with the pop-up flash... Lucky it was towards the end of the evening and I had most of the shots I wanted to get.... Lesson Learned: Check to make sure all tripod adjusters are tightened to avoid possible tip overs...

Those are my two stories...

OUCH!!

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #135773 by Dragonflies
Poor cameras. Reading all of these make me :pinch:

12 years 8 months ago #135780 by photobod
Dropped my Yashica 230AF film camera in Majorca and it fell to pieces, unrepairable, I actualy cried big wuss I am.
Dropped my D70s, luckily onto soft ground so no damage.
dropped my laptop onto a laminated floor and a corner of the case broke off but it still worked.
Luckily my D300 has never been dropped although I haver clattered it against a few pieces of furniture now and again.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 8 months ago #135859 by Rob pix4u2
last winter I failed to secure my camera bag and one of my D90 bodies hit the concrete floor at the hockey arena- OUCH. Luckily no damage and it still is working great

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 8 months ago #136222 by Crammer

Rob pix4u2 wrote: last winter I failed to secure my camera bag and one of my D90 bodies hit the concrete floor at the hockey arena- OUCH. Luckily no damage and it still is working great

I have the same camera, how high was it off the ground before it took the fall?

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #136258 by Psmurf
Yes I have I tripped over a tractor one day after a shot I fell on top of it and dropped my camera and lens It hit the ground and messed up the sensor and focusing system. It took me a year to replace it

12 years 6 months ago #157585 by Fieldhopper
OMG, yes, I dropped mine...or should I say, it slid down off of the strap that I INCORRECTLY attached to it. My hands were full and I could feel it start sliding slowly down towards the ground. I'm quite tall so as it slid and slid, and slid my heart was dropping - for what seemed like forever!!!! Mine hit on the lens and although the lens glass didn't get scratched, the camera itself does not do autofocus on ocassions. I was so not happy with myself.

12 years 6 months ago #157586 by Fieldhopper
I dropped my camera bag once that had my D70S in it and it locked up. The lens wouldn't come off and the camera no longer worked. Ugh...not happy.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024