What is considered professional camera equipment?

11 years 3 weeks ago #136190 by Crammer
We had family BBQ at the house yesterday and one of my brothers friends was admiring my camera and asked if that was considered a professional camera. Now it's just a Nikon D90 which I don't think qualifies as a professional camera in Nikon's eyes. I believe this camera is considered a "pro-sumer" camera. But it's the skill level that set's one photographer apart from others, not the camera.

But after this question, it did get me thinking. At what point does a camera become or considered as a bonified professional camera? I'm going to reference Nikon because that is what I know. Is it the D300, D700 the D3s?


Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
11 years 3 weeks ago - 11 years 3 weeks ago #136192 by MLKstudios
The best answer is..

"If a pro is holding it, it's a pro camera."

However, Nikon uses single numbers for what they call their "pro level". They don't include the green or picture settings, that an amateur would use.

HTH

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
11 years 3 weeks ago #136266 by effron

MLKstudios wrote: The best answer is..

"If a pro is holding it, it's a pro camera."

However, Nikon uses single numbers for what they call their "pro level". They don't include the green or picture settings, that an amateur would use.

HTH


That pretty much sums it up.......;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
11 years 3 weeks ago - 11 years 3 weeks ago #136274 by MLKstudios
You are correct calling the D90 a "prosumer" camera as it has both pro and consumer level functions.

A few decades ago, any SLR was considered a pro level camera, as you needed to know a little about photography to operate it. Then Minolta, and some other manufacturers started adding Auto features to cameras. Many of those features were used by the pros too -- like Aperture Priority shooting. It made what we did easier.

Later the "picture" settings evolved. Ex. if you wanted to shoot a flower, you picked the flower pic (maximizes DoF). Or landscape for a landscape (it doesn't pop up the flash in low light). For whatever you were shooting, there was a "cheater" setting. You don't need to know anything about the camera settings. They are chosen for you.

So a new "level" got added to cameras. The prosumer model. It's a pro camera in the hands of a pro, or a consumer (non-pro) camera for everyone else.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
11 years 3 weeks ago #136282 by dwi3x4

MLKstudios wrote: The best answer is..

"If a pro is holding it, it's a pro camera."


HTH


I disagree with that quote. A professional photographer could hold a entry level camera or point and shoot and the camera is not a pro camera. The photographer is a pro...not the camera.


Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
11 years 3 weeks ago #136284 by MLKstudios
Read it again. ;)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
11 years 3 weeks ago #136299 by dwi3x4
Like I said, I disagree.


Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
11 years 3 weeks ago - 11 years 3 weeks ago #136302 by Stealthy Ninja
The obvious answer is some sort of vertical grip of course. :whistle:

Honestly I think a cam that has good AF or good IQ is a pro camera. It all depends what you use it for.

Though I'd say these are pro cameras (though the manufacturers may label them differently).

Canon 7D, 5DII, 1DIV, 1DsIII
Nikon D7000, D700, D3s, D3x

Of course Medium Format etc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
11 years 3 weeks ago #136307 by MLKstudios

dwi3x4 wrote: Like I said, I disagree.

You're reading it wrong.

ANY camera held by a pro is a pro camera. See?

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
11 years 3 weeks ago #136310 by Stealthy Ninja

MLKstudios wrote:

dwi3x4 wrote: Like I said, I disagree.

You're reading it wrong.

ANY camera held by a pro is a pro camera. See?


You guys are arguing semantics.

One is saying the skills of the pro makes the difference.

One is saying it doesn't matter who's holding it, it doesn't magically change the camera into a better one.

Both are right and the argument will just run in circles.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
11 years 3 weeks ago #136311 by butterflygirl921
in my opinion any slr camera is a proffessional camera and its all about how you use it


Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
11 years 3 weeks ago - 11 years 3 weeks ago #136317 by Stealthy Ninja
Like I alluded to above, there's two sides to this.

Yes a pro can take a good photo with a crappy camera.

BUT there are definitely things that a camera can include that a pro can use to their advantage. Like AF, good high ISO, Dynamic Range, stronger bodies etc. etc.

THAT's what make a "pro" camera. All that stuff designed to be used by a pro.

So yeh two sides to it. A pro can take a better photo than a amateur with a P&S for example. It's nice an PC to say things like "a pro makes the camera" or whatever. But fact is a pro knows what they need and demands more from a camera than an amateur. Therefore camera makers make cameras aimed at these pros who know/need/demand a camera that suits their needs.

These cameras are therefore "pro" cameras.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
11 years 3 weeks ago #136384 by Happy Snapper
But the camera salesman said this camera would make me a pro? :rofl:

Gripped Nikon D810 --- Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 --- Sigma 10-20mm f/4 --- Nikon 50mm f/1.4 --- SB600
Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
11 years 3 weeks ago #136386 by MLKstudios
Did it?

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
11 years 3 weeks ago #136825 by Rawley Photos

Happy Snapper wrote: But the camera salesman said this camera would make me a pro? :rofl:



:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:


Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,

817.3K

241K

  • Facebook

    817,251 / Likes

  • Twitter

    241,000 / Followers

  • Google+

    1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Panasonic Lumix FZ300 is an older camera, but has modern capabilities like 4K video that make it a great option for today's photographers.

Sep 13, 2022

The Sony Alpha 7c mirrorless digital camera is a compact full frame rig that is an excellent introduction to shooting with a full frame body.

Aug 25, 2022

In this Sony Alpha a6000 mirrorless digital camera review, get the scoop on this camera's specs and features, and learn why it's a great beginner camera.

Jul 05, 2022

The Nikon Z FC specs are quite impressive, and when paired with the retro-style body, you get a fun and capable camera for enthusiast shooters.

May 31, 2022
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Our 2022 list of the best gifts for photographers under $1,000 includes everything from cameras to bags to data backups. Check the list and start shopping!

Sep 29, 2022

The metal vs canvas prints debate is an interesting one. Which type is best for your photos? In this guide, we give you several criteria to help you decide.

Sep 28, 2022

The Canon EOS RP specs don’t compare to high-end full frame cameras. However, this camera is still well-equipped and is a great buy for entry-level shooters.

Sep 27, 2022

A modern wall art display is a beautiful addition to a home or business. In this beginner tutorial, learn some quick and simple tips for creating a display

Sep 26, 2022

The new GoPro Hero 11 look exactly like its predecessor, but under the hood are a ton of changes, including a new sensor, that make the Hero 11 a major upgrade.

Sep 22, 2022

You can get a portrait print in any size you like, on various papers, and in multiple orientations. The question is, what’s best for your particular image?

Sep 21, 2022

By using wholesale photography products, you can offer your clients beautiful products and give them more choice while giving yourself room for a nice profit.

Sep 21, 2022

A lens pouch offers advantages over a camera bag, including easy access to gear for quick shots. In this guide, learn more about the benefits of lens pouches.

Sep 19, 2022