What is considered professional camera equipment?

12 years 7 months ago #136190 by Crammer
We had family BBQ at the house yesterday and one of my brothers friends was admiring my camera and asked if that was considered a professional camera. Now it's just a Nikon D90 which I don't think qualifies as a professional camera in Nikon's eyes. I believe this camera is considered a "pro-sumer" camera. But it's the skill level that set's one photographer apart from others, not the camera.

But after this question, it did get me thinking. At what point does a camera become or considered as a bonified professional camera? I'm going to reference Nikon because that is what I know. Is it the D300, D700 the D3s?

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #136192 by MLKstudios
The best answer is..

"If a pro is holding it, it's a pro camera."

However, Nikon uses single numbers for what they call their "pro level". They don't include the green or picture settings, that an amateur would use.

HTH

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 7 months ago #136266 by effron

MLKstudios wrote: The best answer is..

However, Nikon uses single numbers for what they call their "pro level". They don't include the green or picture settings, that an amateur would use.

HTH

That pretty much sums it up.......;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #136274 by MLKstudios
You are correct calling the D90 a "prosumer" camera as it has both pro and consumer level functions.

A few decades ago, any SLR was considered a pro level camera, as you needed to know a little about photography to operate it. Then Minolta, and some other manufacturers started adding Auto features to cameras. Many of those features were used by the pros too -- like Aperture Priority shooting. It made what we did easier.

Later the "picture" settings evolved. Ex. if you wanted to shoot a flower, you picked the flower pic (maximizes DoF). Or landscape for a landscape (it doesn't pop up the flash in low light). For whatever you were shooting, there was a "cheater" setting. You don't need to know anything about the camera settings. They are chosen for you.

So a new "level" got added to cameras. The prosumer model. It's a pro camera in the hands of a pro, or a consumer (non-pro) camera for everyone else.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 7 months ago #136282 by dwi3x4

MLKstudios wrote: The best answer is..

HTH

I disagree with that quote. A professional photographer could hold a entry level camera or point and shoot and the camera is not a pro camera. The photographer is a pro...not the camera.

12 years 7 months ago #136284 by MLKstudios
Read it again. ;)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 7 months ago #136299 by dwi3x4
Like I said, I disagree.

12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #136302 by Stealthy Ninja
The obvious answer is some sort of vertical grip of course. :whistle:

Honestly I think a cam that has good AF or good IQ is a pro camera. It all depends what you use it for.

Though I'd say these are pro cameras (though the manufacturers may label them differently).

Canon 7D, 5DII, 1DIV, 1DsIII
Nikon D7000, D700, D3s, D3x

Of course Medium Format etc.
12 years 7 months ago #136307 by MLKstudios

dwi3x4 wrote: Like I said, I disagree.

You're reading it wrong.

ANY camera held by a pro is a pro camera. See?

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 7 months ago #136310 by Stealthy Ninja

MLKstudios wrote:

dwi3x4 wrote: Like I said, I disagree.

You're reading it wrong.

ANY camera held by a pro is a pro camera. See?

You guys are arguing semantics.

One is saying the skills of the pro makes the difference.

One is saying it doesn't matter who's holding it, it doesn't magically change the camera into a better one.

Both are right and the argument will just run in circles.
12 years 7 months ago #136311 by butterflygirl921
in my opinion any slr camera is a proffessional camera and its all about how you use it

12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #136317 by Stealthy Ninja
Like I alluded to above, there's two sides to this.

Yes a pro can take a good photo with a crappy camera.

BUT there are definitely things that a camera can include that a pro can use to their advantage. Like AF, good high ISO, Dynamic Range, stronger bodies etc. etc.

THAT's what make a "pro" camera. All that stuff designed to be used by a pro.

So yeh two sides to it. A pro can take a better photo than a amateur with a P&S for example. It's nice an PC to say things like "a pro makes the camera" or whatever. But fact is a pro knows what they need and demands more from a camera than an amateur. Therefore camera makers make cameras aimed at these pros who know/need/demand a camera that suits their needs.

These cameras are therefore "pro" cameras.
12 years 7 months ago #136384 by Happy Snapper
But the camera salesman said this camera would make me a pro? :rofl:

Gripped Nikon D810 --- Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 --- Sigma 10-20mm f/4 --- Nikon 50mm f/1.4 --- SB600
Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #136386 by MLKstudios
Did it?

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 7 months ago #136825 by Rawley Photos

Happy Snapper wrote: But the camera salesman said this camera would make me a pro? :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024