Card reader or pulling photos directly from camera?

12 years 8 months ago #136427 by Justin
Does it really make any difference if you are pulling the photos from a card reader or directly from the camera?

Very nice to meet you!
Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #136433 by MLKstudios
Card Reader +1

The results are the same, the time changes. I have a Lexar firewire 800, it zooms!

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 8 months ago #136434 by chasrich
Data is data... The source is irrelevant as far as the computer is concerned. What I do care about is the durability of the connections and in the case of a camera I believe the memory card connection is far more reliable and durable that the USB connection. I carry the USB cable when I travel as a backup in case the card reader fails. But I depend on the card reader for uploading photos.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 8 months ago #136442 by Justin
Thanks for the feedback. I have been using the cable directly to camera. But was reading that card readers may be better.

Very nice to meet you!
Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #136515 by KCook

the memory card connection is far more reliable and durable that the USB connection

:agree: Especially since the camera USB is always the mini form of the USB, not full size USB. I have a multi-format carder reader in my desktop tower, very slick. Card readers for laptops may be a different game, I haven't looked into those.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 8 months ago #136544 by TheNissanMan
I have a Sandisk card reader and the time difference is outstanding, card reader every time :)

12 years 7 months ago #137634 by nanhi
All Laptops and Desktop today have built in Card Slots. So you have an easy choice of fast downloads after removing the card from your camera. So no need of an external card reader. And no need for getting out the USB cable too.
You save on your camera battery and having to ON / OFF your camera each time you download directly from the camera.
I guess it is more a personal choice.

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #137646 by Stealthy Ninja
Depends if I have my card reader with me or not.
12 years 7 months ago #137654 by Baydream
don't think many laptops have CF readers. I always use a reader or the built-in SD reader. My old laptop (replaced this Spring) had an SD reader but would not take SDHC.
New cards can make built-ins obsolete.

Haven't used camera to computer connection since my AGFA (circa 2000) 2 mp camera with SmartMedia.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #137764 by Eddy

Baydream wrote: don't think many laptops have CF readers. I always use a reader or the built-in SD reader. My old laptop (replaced this Spring) had an SD reader but would not take SDHC.
New cards can make built-ins obsolete.

Haven't used camera to computer connection since my AGFA (circa 2000) 2 mp camera with SmartMedia.

:agree: mine does

12 years 7 months ago #138128 by Jim Photo
When I'm on the road, I don't use one but when I'm home I scan photos directly from card reader.

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #138136 by Cal8567
A card reader is usually faster and not only that but when you use your camera it also drains the battery.

12 years 7 months ago #138265 by photobod
I use a card reader every time not for any particular reason more habit, I have one attached to my main computer and I carry one with me in my camera bag.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024