Is It Really the Photographer and Not the Equipment?

12 years 7 months ago #138731 by Conner

MLKstudios wrote: Yes, you can.

photojojo.com/store/awesomeness/iphone-telephoto-lens/

They're only tools.

:)

Imagine showing up to a wedding photography job with just that and acting all serious?! :rofl:

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #138733 by MLKstudios
Probably best used as a second camera. I know some very good wedding photographers who use Holgas for their effect.

I used to shoot weddings with a Yashica TLR, that cost me $100.

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #138734 by Baydream

Conner wrote:

MLKstudios wrote: Yes, you can.

photojojo.com/store/awesomeness/iphone-telephoto-lens/

They're only tools.

Imagine showing up to a wedding photography job with just that and acting all serious?! :rofl:

Justified Bridezilla?:rofl: :rofl:

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #138737 by MajorMagee
Kai's done this in one of his videos, and the pro with a P&S did pretty well, but it was a lot of extra work.

12 years 7 months ago #138743 by Sarah Riecken
I really think that it is both, the camera is an extention of the photographer. Like anything else we do it takes practice and an ever growing knowledge to take consistantly quality photographs. If you gave the right person that camera, you could help create a super photographer. In the wrong hands it would collect dust and become a paperweight

12 years 7 months ago #138771 by effron

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #138780 by MLKstudios
NASA rocks their nifty-fifty! They are THAT good.

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 7 months ago #138827 by Henry Peach
The tools are more important to some than to others. It depends on the requirements of the situation, and the personal style and preferences of the photographer. Some photographers are better at getting around the limitations of the gear than others. Some don't even want to try. I don't think that's a bad thing. People should find and use the tools that suit their style the best, and help them achieve the results they need. Tools that are easy to use are often the best.

If you can't get close to the subject then longer focal lengths are required. If you need to shoot in low light then good high ISO quality and fast lenses are handy. IMO on-camera flash shot directly at the subject looks lousy. I require a flash that can be bounced or used off camera, or some other light source. When I want shallow DOF when using fill flash for bright daylight portraits I want a high flash sync speed. Another photographer may get around this by using an assistant holding a reflector for the fill light.

I've found that people (experienced photographers) cannot tell the difference between large, landscape prints I shot with my old 20D (8mp) and a Sigma lens ($350ish), and those shot with my 5DII (21mp) and a Canon L lens ($1200ish). They also seem to be unable to sort those prints from my hand printed silver gelatin prints from 4x5 film. Yet the common internet belief is that there should be significant differences between all three. I think I could get good results with entry level DSLRs, but some people feel those cameras would be inadequate. I think if you believe something to be true it effectively is. The photog who truly believes they need the latest and greatest, or specialized gear to achieve decent results is not going to be satisfied with a Rebel, even if other folks get great results with the cheaper gear.

In the end generalizations such as "it's the photographer not the gear" or the other way around tend to be too general for the real world.

"Photography appears to be an easy activity; in fact it is a varied and ambiguous process in which the only common denominator among its practitioners is in the instrument." -HCB

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024