Are there any legit sales on Craigslist anymore?

13 years 4 months ago #13899 by Martin
For the last few days I have been going back and forth via email with a guy on Craigslist about a used D700 with a 24-70 and 300mm lens combo for $4500. He sounded all professional, then the last email I just got from him stated that he had to leave country for last minute emergency and told me I could wire the money to his off shore bank, once funds received he will ship my camera gear to me. LOL seriously?! These con artist are getting so crafty.

Annoying, that I just spent a few days talking with a idiot, who my guess only wanted to rip me off. Man what is happening to this world?

Oh well, back to my search I go!

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #13907 by Dan Dangerfield
I hear you! There are so many scams there and on Ebay. You really need to do your research these days. Come to think about it, it's just about any where you go these days online, I would just approach every unknown seller online as if they are out to get you, untill they proof otherwise.

13 years 4 months ago #13909 by backh0me652
From the sounds of it, that guy is a scam. I'm glad you didn't send him any money. I don't deal with craiglist, but some of my friends do. Knock on wood, no one has been scammed.

13 years 4 months ago #13912 by scarman1313
if you buy anything used get a bill of sell with it in case the item is stolen or you might be going to jail.

13 years 4 months ago #13917 by Photo Junky

scarman1313 wrote: if you buy anything used get a bill of sell with it in case the item is stolen or you might be going to jail.

Good point, but make sure you get the item first! Personally I prefer to deal with people face to face.

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #13943 by bhowdy
Keep in mind that Craig's List was originally started as a Person-to-Person market place. It has evolved into something that it was never intended to be. The original idea was that the seller and the prospective buyer could meet one another, you could touch and try out (so to speak) the item for sale.

Like everything else these days the con artists have a found a way to exploit Craig's list. I have purchased a couple of things from Craig's List sellers ... both times I met the seller, tried out the camera gear item ... with them standing there and agreed to the sale. The results were good.

Bob Howdeshell

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" ~ Lewis Hine

13 years 4 months ago #13961 by Rob pix4u2
I buy all of my used gear from reputable dealers like B & H or a local camera dealer. I guess I'm not very trusting of the web sellers .

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

13 years 4 months ago #13963 by Screamin Scott
I've been fortunate with Craig's list on sales & purchases. I've sold some furniture locally here in North Georgia & bought a 20mm F4 Nikkor (for $35) from a seller in St Louis...With the lens, I had conversations (online) & found him to be legit (he worked for a University). So I was lucky. Most photo gear listings here in the Atlanta area are way overpriced so I have made limited purchases.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #13968 by JennyPenny
I have used craigslist many times before (never for photography equipment) and never had a scam.

13 years 4 months ago #13969 by crystal
There are plenty of legit sales, but also scams.

I have sold many things on craigslist. Most of the time I had good buyers. A few years ago, I was selling my grandam for parts. I had a buyer who wanted the whole car. He said he would send me the money order. I would have to cash it, take my sale price and give the rest to his shipper who plans on coming for the car. This was my first scam. So when the money order arrived. It was 5 money orders past dated. The money money orders were printed from the United States post office. I had a feeling it was a scam after I got the money orders and when they wanted me to take my half of the money and give the rest to the shipper. So I took the money orders and all the emails I had with this buyer to the post office and the post office took care of it. I have no idea what they did. All I know is, it was out of my hands and the buyer never contacted me.

I have had similiar scam emails dealing with craigslist for anything I post that is over $100. I just ignore them all.
13 years 4 months ago #13970 by crystal
When it comes to buying photography equipment, either I buy it from B&H or local stores.
13 years 4 months ago #13972 by crystal

cwightmanphotos wrote: When it comes to buying photography equipment, either I buy it from B&H or local stores.

Well, I just remember, I have bought photography stuff from Ebay in the past and had no problems.
13 years 4 months ago #14040 by Scotty
I sold my canon 85mm f/1.2L II and 35L on craigslist last year.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #14044 by photobod
The only way I would buy any photographic gear second hand or new is if I had it in my hand and had tried it out first, end of

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

13 years 4 months ago #14045 by Martin
Awesome information guys, I'm glad I didn't send any money also. It's a shame how good things go bad because of bad people!

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024