What is your intention?

13 years 4 months ago #13945 by duke the dog
How many of you started photography (using DSLR/SLR) with the intention of being a professional.

OR

How many of you started photography using DSLR/SLR because you simply enjoy taking pictures and have no desire to make money.

13 years 4 months ago #13956 by Rob pix4u2
I've been at this all of my life (age 9 - 54 now ) and fell into the pro end of it as a side job to help support my photography. Now that I have been at it almost twenty years it seems as if i have been at it as long as I can remember. It is fun still and I get a lot of complements on my work so that helps to keep it enjoyable and not so much as work.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

Attachments:
13 years 4 months ago #13978 by Dan Dangerfield
Heck I got into it because I just like taking photos. Now if I can make a buck in the process that would be great!

13 years 4 months ago #13979 by crystal
Well at first I was shooting for fun (still am, that will never stop).
Then I thought to myself, why not try to make money from it. I realized what I love to shoot is hard to market to make money.
The field of photography that can bring in the money, is not what I love to shoot. Although I am good at it, it stresses me out, mainly the pricing stresses me out, not the actual taking pictures.

So now I am back to shooting what I love, for me.

If someone wants to buy or hire, that's great, but I am done marketing myself.

So I didn't start photography with the intentions of becoming a pro. I started because it's something I love to do. :)
13 years 4 months ago #14006 by MaryisCherry
I enjoy taking pictures. I know I will never get to the point to offer my services.

13 years 4 months ago #14017 by photobod
Started wen i was twelve, so no thoughts of being a pro then, I started work in the construction Industry as I thought that being a pro photographer would ruin the love for it, then due to health probs I left my job to become a pro photographer and I still love it to this day.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

13 years 4 months ago #14028 by Rob pix4u2

MaryisCherry wrote: I enjoy taking pictures. I know I will never get to the point to offer my services.

NEVER say NEVER... Did not start out with the intention of turning pro but got good enough at it that I got hired and BAM - now I write a column twice a month too that i shoot pix for. Then I got into the wedding biz and the kids portrait biz and now if you ask I will shoot it for money...but my FAVORITE is still shooting pro hockey games by far.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

Attachments:
13 years 4 months ago #14052 by scarman1313
You know by the title of this it sounds like I came over to date your daughter. That question has always amazed me because like the boy is really going to tell the truth. Anyway I would love to be able to do this full time I dont really see opening a studio because of walmart and places like that that sell photes for dirt cheap so they can make it up by having you walk around the store and most of the people that work there have no interest in photography. I do think there is a call for location photography going to peoples house and taking photos of them or their stuff and wedding but I think the time for a studio has past.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024