Nikon v Canon

13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #15311 by bhowdy

The lenses are the same price, look at the mark II variants of the canon primes. They're a lot more expensive. The nikkor super primes were newere than canon's, which explains the price difference.

Just remember when you leave the 1d3 and go to Nikon, to say the d3 line, you lose reach, because it's full frame.

Scotty - The new Canon version II lenses are not out yet. I have one on the way as soon as they are and the purchase price is still less than the equivalent Nikon lens.

Maybe as a more relevant comparison ... The 70-200mm f/2.8IS lenses
Canon = $1,999.99 (from Canon site)
Nikon = $2,399.95 (from Nikon site)

I am aware of the 1d3 versus d3 differences .... But one is a full frame sensor and the other is a 1.3 crop sensor. And I don't have any plans on going to Nikon.

Bob Howdeshell

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" ~ Lewis Hine

13 years 3 months ago #15317 by Stealthy Ninja

bhowdy wrote:

The lenses are the same price, look at the mark II variants of the canon primes. They're a lot more expensive. The nikkor super primes were newere than canon's, which explains the price difference.

Just remember when you leave the 1d3 and go to Nikon, to say the d3 line, you lose reach, because it's full frame.

Scotty - The new Canon version II lenses are not out yet. I have one on the way as soon as they are and the purchase price is still less than the equivalent Nikon lens.

Maybe as a more relevant comparison ... The 70-200mm f/2.8IS lenses
Canon = $1,999.99 (from Canon site)
Nikon = $2,399.95 (from Nikon site)

I am aware of the 1d3 versus d3 differences .... But one is a full frame sensor and the other is a 1.3 crop sensor. And I don't have any plans on going to Nikon.

Well on the streets of HK the 70-200 from Canon costs more than the one from Nikon

$16,600 for the Canon, $16,100 for the Nikon.
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #15320 by Scotty
www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/680103-US...200mm_f_2_8L_IS.html

You're linking verison 1. Version two is MORE than the nikon counterpart.

www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/644741-US...70_200mm_f_2_8G.html

Canon hasn't updated a lot of their lenses in a long time. Now that they're updating, they cost just as much sometimes, more.

Also.

Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM price and availability: £7,499.99 / December 2010
Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II USM price and availability: £11,449.99 / December 2010

Read more: www.photoradar.com/news/story/canon-ef-3...leased#ixzz1AyoZqQQ7

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #15325 by Alex
My first DSLR was a Nikon, I had researched a few different camera's and the D90 was the winner, since I have added a D700 and love it.

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #15326 by Scotty

Alex wrote: My first DSLR was a Nikon, I had researched a few different camera's and the D90 was the winner, since I have added a D700 and love it.

The 5d classic was one helluva a camera in it's day. A lot like the d700.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #15327 by Stealthy Ninja

Scotty wrote: www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/680103-US...200mm_f_2_8L_IS.html

Canon hasn't updated a lot of their lenses in a long time. Now that they're updating, they cost just as much sometimes, more.

Also.

Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM price and availability: £7,499.99 / December 2010
Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II USM price and availability: £11,449.99 / December 2010

With Canon the POUND price is usually the same as the USD price too BTW. So it's probably gonna be $7,500USD and $11,500USD.

The Nikon versions cost: $5,799.00 for the 300mm version II.
13 years 3 months ago #15330 by Scotty

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Also.

With Canon the POUND price is usually the same as the USD price too BTW. So it's probably gonna be $7,500USD and $11,500USD.

'

Agreed, but we're all splitting hairs. Both will break my bank account and produce phenomal shots :D

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #15341 by Stealthy Ninja

Scotty wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Also.

'

Agreed, but we're all splitting hairs. Both will break my bank account and produce phenomal shots :D

Very true, the difference aren't enough to say you should use either system because of them. If you're happy with Canon/Nikon that's cool. If you're seriously thinking of buying such expensive lenses, you've probably made your own mind up about which brand is best already, not waiting to switch or which one you should start with. ;)
13 years 3 months ago #15342 by wagaboo
For me it was the Nikon 3100 or the Canon T2I and I went with T2I because it offered more of what I was looking at such as bracketing.

13 years 3 months ago #15347 by Stealthy Ninja

wagaboo wrote: For me it was the Nikon 3100 or the Canon T2I and I went with T2I because it offered more of what I was looking at such as bracketing.

Yeh the D3100 isn't too great. Nikon start getting better around the D7000 and up.
13 years 3 months ago #15356 by wotalegend
When I bought my first DSLR I was totally open-minded between the two brands. I went to a reputable pro store and asked their advice, which was that they were equally as good as each other and that it would just come down to brand preference, of which I had none at the time. In the end I went Nikon because they had them in stock at the time, but not the equivalent Canon. That camera re-ignited my then dormant passion for photography with the result that I now have several Nikon bodies, the oldest of which is an F2, and numerous lenses, mostly built in the twentieth century. Now that I am committed to the Nikon system I could not afford to change to Canon. The one big advantage of the Nikon system is the almost universal interchangeability of lenses going back for over forty years. Canon just can't match that, because they changed their lens mount mid-stream. I am an amateur with limited financial resources and I just can't afford the digital merry-go-round of constantly updating bodies and lenses.

13 years 3 months ago #15358 by Solstar
I went Canon because I was on a budget and they had a camera on clearance...easy as that. My dad shoots Nikon and if I hadn't wanted to save some money up front I probably would have gotten some gear trickle down. Now I'm invested and can't complain. I know my camera's quirks and where all the buttons are. I would happily shoot Nikon though.

13 years 3 months ago #15582 by xmas65
Had a Minolta 35mm back in the 60's and always wanted a Nikon because it was THE brand back in the day. When I got back into photography about 3 years ago, I of course bought Nikon because of always wishing I could afford a Nikon. I love my camera (Nikon D90).
13 years 3 months ago #15588 by crystal
You know what I hate, people who have either brand (Nikon or Canon) and they try to convince others to buy/switch to the brand they have.

A couple weeks ago, I became "friends" on facebook with a guy who lives in my area. He has a Canon. He tried his hardest to get me to switch. He even went as far to tell me there are adaptors that I can buy to use my lenses on the Canon. So I wouldn't have to buy all new lenses.
13 years 3 months ago #15617 by Thirsty Beaver
I've always had a soft spot for Canon so I stuck with it. From point and shoots to my first DSLR a few years ago.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024