Nikon v Canon

13 years 3 months ago #14366 by photobod
would love to hear everyones opinions on the Nikon v Canon subject, I am a Nikon man myself, but I cant explain why I went the Nikon route as most of the people I know in photography are Canon buffs

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

13 years 3 months ago #14392 by Rob pix4u2
I bought a used NIKON FE 2 as my first Nikon at my local camera store to shoot hockey many many years ago and stuck with the brand on the recommendation of the store owner(my uncle Max) so now I am so deep into Nikon that it would be prohibitive to switch brands. Besides the fact that I love my Nikon cameras and lenses

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

13 years 3 months ago #14416 by crystal
I am Nikon, but I really don't know why it started as Nikon. Years ago, I had a Panasonic when I was a kid. My husband has a Pentax SLR which he used for years, but stop using when we bought our first digital Sony P&S. Then we upgrade to a higher end P&S Nikon. Which is the start of using Nikon.

I really don't know why Nikon is it. I know that since the P&S Nikon we had was good to us, we bought Nikon DSLR. At this point we will continue to shoot Nikon.

And when I say "we" I do mean my husband and I. We both are into photography, he has his camera and lenses. I have my own. We learn a long time ago we can not share. lol

Just for the record, I have nothing against Canon or other brands. Ever camera has the ability to take a picture. It is up to the photographer to create that photo.
13 years 3 months ago #14433 by Overread
I'm a Canon, just because it's was the brand that had the greater brand in my head :whistle: There are plenty of people that feel the same way about Nikon. You just bought it because that brand for what ever reason is dominant in your head. :blink: :silly:

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #14456 by Joves
Well I was a Pentax shooter when it was film and I still shot it for a while after digital came along. My first digital I had I considered a toy, the Sony Mavica it was fun for what it was a toy , so I still shot film. Later I got the Nikon Coolpix 995 and was impressed with it. I was still waiting for Pentax to get into the Dslr market but to no avail, then the D50 came out so I tried it bacause of the 995s performance and, I havent looked back. I still have my Pentax MX with the 50mm on it but I sold all of my glass for it long ago. I keep the camera because it was my first ever brand new out of the box camera, every other camera I had before were used ones.

13 years 3 months ago #14517 by Scotty
I actually started with canon, switched to nikon, and I think I wanna go both.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #14541 by Yasko
Both are great. At the time I bought my first dSLR, a 20D, I already had a few EOS lenses so I opted for Canon. I like the button/menu layouts of the Nikons a little better, but Canons fit in my hands and handle better for me.

If I were starting out these days, I'd go for either.

13 years 3 months ago #14544 by Scotty

Yasko wrote: Both are great. At the time I bought my first dSLR, a 20D, I already had a few EOS lenses so I opted for Canon. I like the button/menu layouts of the Nikons a little better, but Canons fit in my hands and handle better for me.

If I were starting out these days, I'd go for either.

Personally, I'd go canon again, which I will, for macro, 17 TS-E, and maybe the 135L unless nikon updates theirs.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #14562 by photobod
I am sticking with Nikon, the D700 hopefully next year with a few new lenses, guess I have just got used to the brand

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #14574 by bhowdy

Scotty wrote: I actually started with canon, switched to nikon, and I think I wanna go both.

One of my next photo gear moves is going to be along the lines of Scotty's thinking ... almost. I have only had the photogrpahy hobby for three years now. Went the Canon route because that's what my brother and his friend used .. simple as that.

I consiidered switching to Nikon a couple of years ago, as I lived thru the 1DMarkIII focus debacle ... Only to discover that the super telephoto primes lenses by Nikon are much much more expensive than the Canon equals ... For example a Canon 500mm f/4 lens is $6,140.00 versus the Nikon 500mm at $8,498.00 .... Why??

My plans are to add a new camera body to my kit, for mostly landscapes, people, etc. I have used a friends Sony A900 and really like the camera ... and the Zeiss glass is "not too shabby" either." I am also intrigued by the upcoming Sony translucent mirror bodies.

Like Crystal stated earlier ... It's not about the camera ... It the person pressing the shutter button

Bob Howdeshell

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" ~ Lewis Hine

13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #14659 by Stealthy Ninja

Scotty wrote: I actually started with canon, switched to nikon, and I think I wanna go both.

Just get those bellows man. ;)

As for the 135 (which you mentioned above), Nikon don't really have anything to match that at the moment. That's true.

As for the 17 TS-E that's truely an awesome lens. Nikon only have the 24 PC-E to kinda get close, but then Canon have the equally awesome 24 TS-E too. So if you're into wide PC/TS lenses Canon's the way to go. Personally I'd be happy with a 24 PC-E because I really like the 24mm length and don't mind stitching.

As for Canon vs Nikon:
I'm very similar to Scotty. Started with Canon, got frustrated with their AF on the 5DII (long story) and SCOTTY convinced me to go Nikon.

Secretly I've always admired Nikon from back in the 1990s. I only went Canon in the first place because all my friends shoot Canon.

I really like Nikon, they give me what I need. That said, Canon make some great Prime lenses and make great landscape cameras (and video cameras). ;)
13 years 3 months ago #14886 by johnMII2
I just got a Canon because my friend has one. In the end, I don't know which I would have chosen if it was up to me, because I know nothing about cameras.

The following user(s) said Thank You: photobod
13 years 3 months ago #14962 by Scotty

bhowdy wrote:

One of my next photo gear moves is going to be along the lines of Scotty's thinking ... almost. I have only had the photogrpahy hobby for three years now. Went the Canon route because that's what my brother and his friend used .. simple as that.

I consiidered switching to Nikon a couple of years ago, as I lived thru the 1DMarkIII focus debacle ... Only to discover that the super telephoto primes lenses by Nikon are much much more expensive than the Canon equals ... For example a Canon 500mm f/4 lens is $6,140.00 versus the Nikon 500mm at $8,498.00 .... Why??

My plans are to add a new camera body to my kit, for mostly landscapes, people, etc. I have used a friends Sony A900 and really like the camera ... and the Zeiss glass is "not too shabby" either." I am also intrigued by the upcoming Sony translucent mirror bodies.

Like Crystal stated earlier ... It's not about the camera ... It the person pressing the shutter button

The lenses are the same price, look at the mark II variants of the canon primes. They're a lot more expensive. The nikkor super primes were newere than canon's, which explains the price difference.

Just remember when you leave the 1d3 and go to Nikon, to say the d3 line, you lose reach, because it's full frame.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #15133 by Stealthy Ninja
Apparently Sony's translucent mirror bodies cause ghosting.
13 years 3 months ago #15142 by Scotty

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Apparently Sony's translucent mirror bodies cause ghosting.

Which explains why ghost hunters like them so much.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024