Are you a pro photographer?

12 years 7 months ago #144916 by Kitzmiller
So the difference between a person who is a hobbyist and pro is a hobbyist doesn't really care about making money with their camera and a pro does?

I'm basically just sharing what I read on another blog, this seems pretty believable, but then again doesn't. So I'm posting this up to get some additional views. I think a hobbyist might be where they are because of lack of skill to be a pro. I guess the above could apply to certain photographers and others maybe not.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rascal07
12 years 7 months ago #144921 by Dori
I guess I look at it this way, I am a hobbyist and probably always will be. However, I wish to create photos like a pro. But then again, I have always been the 'eternal student'. :P

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 7 months ago #144930 by chasrich
I think there is two types of pro... one is a state of mind. Doing the best job you can where your reputation is on the line. The other type is someone being paid to take photos. It is possible to be either one and, of course, both at the same time.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 7 months ago #144949 by Tamgerine
There are so many aspects to being a professional that can be factored in other than just being paid for your work.

When I use the phrase, "I'm a professional" I'm expressing everything that makes me a professional. I act like one, I take my craft seriously, I take business endeavors seriously, and I know what I need to accomplish in order to get the work done the right way. I show up for work on time, and I'm polite, courteous, and customer-service minded.

There are some of those who make the same pay as me who I would not consider a professional because they do not embody those attributes, they just get paid for their work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dlj2938, Robynaudrey, Doc_Crandall
12 years 7 months ago #145023 by Mayo
Far from it!

Canon 5D - Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 | Canon 70-200 f/4L
Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #145049 by Stealthy Ninja
My wife wishes I made more money from photography.
12 years 7 months ago #145059 by Happy-pixel
Who wouldn't want to make more of that green stuff! I'm going to remain humble and say I'm not a pro, but I'm working on it.

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #145102 by Archie
:whistle: Not I, working on it

12 years 7 months ago #145113 by aricat1
working on it

12 years 7 months ago #145123 by chasrich

aricat1 wrote: working on it

:welcomeclan

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robynaudrey
12 years 7 months ago #145125 by Frank Piercy
I am an Amateur.....I dont know if I would like to be a pro, well my wife would like me to be one, but thats a story for a different day. I think it would take a large portion of my enjoyment of it away, replaced with anxiety and fustration......2 things I already get poorly paid for.

12 years 7 months ago #145138 by Hans K
I work on it. I use my photography more as a therapy. Making money is not as important.

12 years 7 months ago #145141 by mamielong
I think a hobbist is a person that lacks skill and passion. I Love what I do and I love doing it. Im am a pro and I have seen many hobbist try try to go pro and not really have the passion and skill as a pro. I have taken maybe photography classes and even won some awards and even published. I think that makes a pro different than a hobbist.

12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #145143 by Stealthy Ninja

mamielong wrote: I think a hobbist is a person that lacks skill and passion. I Love what I do and I love doing it. Im am a pro and I have seen many hobbist try try to go pro and not really have the passion and skill as a pro. I have taken maybe photography classes and even won some awards and even published. I think that makes a pro different than a hobbist.

I humbly disagree.

A Hobbist/Amateur is someone who doesn't make most of their money from photography. They can be more skilled and have more passion than a "pro". It's nothing to do with skills or passion. A hobbist can take classes, win awards and even get published. They often also have a LOT more passion than a "pro" who's jaded and worn out from all effort of making making money. A Hobbiest can even get some work doing photography and make some money.

I was once called a hobbist by a very high end pro (one who sells prints for $5000USD each) he (like you) meant it as an insult. However later in the day I teach that guy a few things about digital cameras (he's old school) he didn't know and helped him with some techniques. I even helped him understand why one of his photos didn't come out right (edge distortion).

Skills/Passion has nothing to do with these labels.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frank Piercy, Rascal07, idlose, goldminer, vee
12 years 7 months ago #145158 by PNMBritt

Frank Piercy wrote: I am an Amateur.....I dont know if I would like to be a pro, well my wife would like me to be one, but thats a story for a different day. I think it would take a large portion of my enjoyment of it away, replaced with anxiety and fustration......2 things I already get poorly paid for.

I used to think the same thing. They a few years ago I lost my job and my hobby became my livelihood. In fairness, I have previously worked in studio and also for a paper. And to be honest, I don't make the money I once did. And yes, sometimes I get stressed over stupid stuff. But now going on three years. I DON'T want a job. I am doing just fine. I am sure you would to.
Andy

In life there have always been those who make fire; but most just sit around the fire and enjoy the warmth. A great mind absent of action is waste.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frank Piercy

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024