Photographic manipulation. Good or bad?

13 years 4 months ago #17071 by Rob pix4u2

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Rob pix4u2 wrote: as a "media" photographer I prefer my work to be "real" life as it was when I shot it but as the son of a painter and photographer I appreciate the artistic aspects of manipulation . I am also not skilled enough to HDR an image or use photoshop to alter it well. I prefer filters as my method of manipulation of a scene or an image.

While your picture is nice and interesting, it's done. You can't do much else to that picture because it's already got the prism effect on it.

The image was made with a Cokin multi image filter so I didn't intend any further manipulation

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

13 years 4 months ago #17086 by wicked_vickey
Good, definitely good. It opens up an entire new world for imagination and creativity. But it should be shown as such. Manipulating a photo beyond general enhancements then presenting it as "the real thing" can be misleading. I think it should be banned from newspapers and other news-presenting sources. Those venues should be mandated from passsing off doctored photos are legit.

13 years 4 months ago #17110 by Joves
Well for the press it goes without saying, the only adjustment would be to correct errors in exposure. Anything else is unethical. Now for others go for it. I really only like manipulating for grins and giggles. The Hill work in some is reminincent of Vargas' work. Over processed photos turn me off alot, especially when they fal between actual and cartoonish but, different strokes for different strokes.

13 years 4 months ago #17202 by josephp
What exactly is the "truth" any more. Does anyone really know. Say you have a photographer from the US and one from North Korea or some other oppressive regime. The 2 are assigned to cover the same story. Do you think they'll both present the story with exactly the same "truth?" Or won't each have a different slant simply because of their backgrounds?

I, personally, don't believe much of anything I see in print nowadays. Unless I was there and can verify it with my own eyes.

13 years 4 months ago #17220 by Stealthy Ninja

josephp wrote: What exactly is the "truth" any more. Does anyone really know. Say you have a photographer from the US and one from North Korea or some other oppressive regime. The 2 are assigned to cover the same story. Do you think they'll both present the story with exactly the same "truth?" Or won't each have a different slant simply because of their backgrounds?

I, personally, don't believe much of anything I see in print nowadays. Unless I was there and can verify it with my own eyes.

The GLORIOUS LEADER needs more Photoshop!
13 years 4 months ago #17659 by jennyjohn52
I agree. There is definitely a time and a place for PhotoShop. But if you are a responsible media photographyer/reporter then the photos should be as 'straight' as possible. A little color balance or levels adjustments won't change the photo - it will only enhance it.

Taking objects out of the photo or adding new elements should definitely be prohibited when presenting the pictures as 'real.'

13 years 4 months ago #17716 by Scotty

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

josephp wrote: What exactly is the "truth" any more. Does anyone really know. Say you have a photographer from the US and one from North Korea or some other oppressive regime. The 2 are assigned to cover the same story. Do you think they'll both present the story with exactly the same "truth?" Or won't each have a different slant simply because of their backgrounds?

He needs to drop his nuclear program, and spend that money on scott kelby workshops.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #17749 by Stealthy Ninja

Scotty wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

He needs to drop his nuclear program, and spend that money on scott kelby workshops.

And some pocket wizards.
13 years 4 months ago #17756 by Scotty

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

And some pocket wizards.

The UN might step in and take those away. Who knows what he'd be triggering with them.

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #17815 by Stealthy Ninja

Scotty wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

And some pocket wizards.

The UN might step in and take those away. Who knows what he'd be triggering with them.

Alien Bees then... he could kidnap them.
13 years 4 months ago #17826 by Scotty

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

And some pocket wizards.

I like alien bees.

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #17843 by Stealthy Ninja

Scotty wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

And some pocket wizards.

I like alien bees.

Stingers hurt though. They change you into a gamma radioactive monster though.
13 years 4 months ago #17846 by Scotty

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

And some pocket wizards.

I like alien bees.

Have you ever photoshopped anything before?

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #17852 by Stealthy Ninja

Scotty wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

And some pocket wizards.

I like alien bees.

You talking to me? Because if you are:

When can the raid define your sounded saint? How does the anomaly reach? A squad burns! The radical positions the crowd underneath the middle purple. The banner soles the gospel. The raised designer silvers an eighth undesirable.
13 years 4 months ago #17856 by Scotty

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

And some pocket wizards.

I like alien bees.

You talking to me? Because if you are:

When can the raid define your sounded saint? How does the anomaly reach? A squad burns! The radical positions the crowd underneath the middle purple. The banner soles the gospel. The raised designer silvers an eighth undesirable.

I disagree.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

In this guide to the bokeh effect, you’ll learn what bokeh is and the factors involved in creating it. You’ll also explore some beautiful example images to spark your creativity with bokeh!

May 16, 2024

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024