work for free?

13 years 3 months ago #14612 by wendy_johnson
i have an opporutnity to become an apprentice to a local professional photographer. The problem is he doesn't want to pay. He says the experience will be so rewarding that I won't have to spend money in a photography school.

I talked it over with my parents and they think I'm nuts to consider it. My dad says only fools work for free.

I want to take the job and need some arguments to convince my parents. Does anyone know if working for free is normal in the industry? Or am I just being played?

13 years 3 months ago #14613 by Scotty

wendy_johnson wrote: i have an opporutnity to become an apprentice to a local professional photographer. The problem is he doesn't want to pay. He says the experience will be so rewarding that I won't have to spend money in a photography school.

I talked it over with my parents and they think I'm nuts to consider it. My dad says only fools work for free.

I want to take the job and need some arguments to convince my parents. Does anyone know if working for free is normal in the industry? Or am I just being played?

I wouldn't do it, unless it was someone with prestige.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #14618 by Screamin Scott
It's a choice you will have to decide if it is worth it or not. My Daughter-in-Law is doing an unpaid internship right now for her Doctorate in Psychology at a University in Virginia, so it's not unheard of, but I think that there should be some form of compensation (money or use of equipment) in your case.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #14657 by Stealthy Ninja
The "pro" can't be that good if they can't afford to give you a little cash.
13 years 3 months ago #14674 by iGeek
I would expect the pro would at least pay you minimum wage, you have your bills to pay also.

13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #14679 by Stealthy Ninja
I want to post here again.

I have a video production business and aside from sound and lighting guys, I occasionally I have to hire a best boy grip (helper - usually my nephew) I usually do most of the grip work on productions as well as be a director/producer where need be as I do mostly small end commercial stuff...

I always pay my workers, even if it's a small amount. I factor this into the production cost, even if it means I don't make as much.

If the "pro" can't do this. Then I say give it a miss because they're probably crap.
13 years 3 months ago #14686 by iGeek

Stealthy Ninja wrote: I want to post here again.

I have a video production business and aside from sound and lighting guys, I occasionally I have to hire a best boy grip (helper - usually my nephew) I usually do most of the grip work on productions as well as be a director/producer where need be as I do mostly small end commercial stuff...

I always pay my workers, even if it's a small amount. I factor this into the production cost, even if it means I don't make as much.

If the "pro" can't do this. Then I say give it a miss because they're probably crap.

100% agree with how you operate. Pay them at least something, I think it's just cheap to expect free labor. What kind of video's do you produce?

13 years 3 months ago #14688 by Stealthy Ninja

iGeek wrote:

100% agree with how you operate. Pay them at least something, I think it's just cheap to expect free labor. What kind of video's do you produce?

Nothing worth writing home about. ;)

Mainly business/commercial stuff. It's not artistic/interesting, but it pays OK. I do a lot of videos for Powerpoint Presentations it seems. ;)
13 years 3 months ago #14693 by Joves
Well I have known many people who apprenticed for free and, learned alot. They learned both the technical side and the business side. BUT I will say this if you choose to do it you will know if you are being played if all they have you do is the grunt work and, dont really teach you anything. I have seen that happen as well. At that point leave.

13 years 3 months ago #14698 by iGeek

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

iGeek wrote:

Mainly business/commercial stuff. It's not artistic/interesting, but it pays OK. I do a lot of videos for Powerpoint Presentations it seems. ;)

;) As long as you enjoy it and you make a few bucks!

13 years 3 months ago #14701 by Stealthy Ninja

iGeek wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

iGeek wrote:

Yeah it's funny, I enjoy working with video for pay, even though it's hours and hours of work.

BUT I prefer to do photography for fun rather than be paid for it.
13 years 3 months ago #14721 by iGeek

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

iGeek wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

iGeek wrote:

Yeah it's funny, I enjoy working with video for pay, even though it's hours and hours of work.

So is your video production company what you do full time or part time?

13 years 3 months ago #14737 by Stealthy Ninja

iGeek wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

iGeek wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

iGeek wrote:

So is your video production company what you do full time or part time?

Part time.
13 years 3 months ago #14751 by scarman1313
If its someone you think you could learn from then that would be fine but just because he is a pro does not mean he is good. Look at all the people that take photos at walmart 95% of them do can shots that even a monkey could do, but if this person has something you can learn from and is respected in your area then I would say do it.

13 years 3 months ago #14832 by crystal

wendy_johnson wrote: i have an opporutnity to become an apprentice to a local professional photographer. The problem is he doesn't want to pay. He says the experience will be so rewarding that I won't have to spend money in a photography school.

I wouldn't do it. Not unless you and the pro photographer can come to an agreement that you are his apprentice for only a couple hours a week. So the rest of the time you can actually work a paying job. In the end, you can learn about photography, but it won't be taking up the whole day where you can actually bring in an income.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024