Offering pictures to strangers

12 years 6 months ago #148208 by lawson fhoto
Have you ever been out and about, taking pictures of people on the streets and offer the shot you just took to the person who is in the picture?

The other day I was trying my hand at street photography and after viewing some of the shots, I saw I really capture a moment to the point I wanted to walk up to the person who I photographed to show them and offer to email them the photo. However I couldn't get up the courage to do this. I was afraid the person may not have like that I took their picture and wanted me to delete the image or they may call the police.

12 years 6 months ago #148216 by Baydream
Understandable. The police can do nothing since you are on public property. What you do with the photo is what counts.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #148218 by photobod
Pick up the courage next time, you would be surprised at how people will love seeing there photos, I did a series of shots in a market area and people were trying to get into the shot, I spoke to lots of people who were very interested in the results. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 6 months ago #148224 by lawson fhoto

photobod wrote: Pick up the courage next time, you would be surprised at how people will love seeing there photos, I did a series of shots in a market area and people were trying to get into the shot, I spoke to lots of people who were very interested in the results. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

That's awesome for you. I know I just have to some how just go for it. It's easier said then done.

12 years 6 months ago #148225 by lawson fhoto
Should I have a business card to hand to these people? Or should I just have a pen and tablet to write down their email? I don't actually have a business to be handing out business cards.

12 years 6 months ago #148231 by Baydream
Pen and paper - cards give your contact # to ANYONE, even spammers and crooks. A business is different.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #148235 by tennis man
I been out taking pictures of anything and everything and several people (young people about college age) would come up to me and tell me to take their picture. They don't ask for the picture, I think in general they just want their picture taken, cuz usually they end up making a funny pose. So I will take their picture, but that is as far as that goes. Overall I am not into street photography to give you some advice on how to approach a stranger whom you just photographed.

12 years 6 months ago #148279 by rmeyer7
Definitely go for it! Not necessarily because the people you photograph need to have a copy of the picture, but because it's a good thing for you as a photographer. When you do portraits for clients, it's essential to project confidence as you direct the shoot. So this is a great way to start building your confidence. You'll be able to project a sense of authoritativeness with your clients that causes them to feel comfortable trusting that you know what you're doing.

12 years 6 months ago #148376 by icepics
Probably depends on where you're taking photos whether it would be a good idea or not to approach people on the street. I've had people approach me (or ham it up for the camera) when I was taking pictures at a game which is a somewhat different situation (people knew/recognized me). I don't think you can know how people will react if you approach them out on the street. If you're in a touristy area that might be different.

I wouldn't be comfortable out in public having someone approach me unless it was at an event or something. Depends on the situation and maybe it's different for women - I would not respond well to being approached by a stranger w/a camera wanting to take my picture, sell me a photo, etc. - I'd be more concerned w/protecting myself than accomodating such a request.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #148446 by Jamie
While I agree there's nothing wrong with it and the intention is pure...I too would feel uncomfortable if someone took my photo without my permission. Some people my love it...others don't like to be on the other side of the camera... Again, nothing wrong here, but you never know who you're going to meet and what they're going to think...or say...or do!

PhotographyTalk Users enjoy 15% OFF at www.photobacks.com !
Use: PHT843 at checkout!

12 years 6 months ago #148497 by eryck
I am some what new to photography and only most recently have made attempts at street portraits (mostly candid). There was one occasion when a man asked me to take his photo but neither of us had a pen to share info, I posted the photo on facebook and totally regret not being able to share the photo with this travelling man. I would feel its more important than not to approach your subjects, I know its intimdating but getting an ok from someone whos photo you took means you can use that image publicly or even publish it. Thats the main part of photography , isint it? to make your photos available for viewing. Just try your best to be sincere and your not with the tabloids your just an up and coming pro photographer, if you try hard you can convince a skeptic and that success.
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #148501 by chasrich
I've shared dozens of candid shots with strangers. There is one that I took that was really outstanding. I gave the mother a card and told her I would be glad to send her the file. She never took me up on it.

Here is a tip for you. If you need to write down someones contact info - turn the camera on in video mode and have them repeat the info into the camera a few times.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
Attachments:
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #148549 by icepics
Yeah but you're Santa!! Probably people would be comfortable talking to you. I'd just be reluctant to have a stranger approach me. Depends on where you are too I think. I guess with the job I had, doing home visits out in a couple of the worst neighborhoods in the city, I've seen plenty of strange stuff.

Lawson you mentioned a couple of legitimate concerns, you don't know if the person would be pissed you took their picture or next thing you know they're calling the police.You're a stranger to them, they don't know you to know if you're a nice guy who's a photographer or not. You just never know if you approach someone with the best intentions as a photographer, what kind of situation you could be getting into yourself either. Most of the time you'd probably be fine, but if you try it, be aware of your surroundings so you can keep yourself safe.

Sharon
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024