Macro or Wider Angle?

12 years 7 months ago #149502 by lonehero83
I've been thinking, comparing and evaluating my decision and I needed a little nudge to decide :unsure:
which is more useful or I can benefit from more than the other
Macro lens or wide Angle lens
please guide me on that :D
12 years 7 months ago #149525 by Baydream
SO MUCH depends on WHAT you are shooting. Give us a hint and we can give you a better answer. Also tell us what camera(s) you are using.
Budget will of course affect an appropriate response as you will want to get the best "glass" you can and still be able to afford food.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: lonehero83
12 years 7 months ago #149526 by effron
Oh hell, get the macro. You'll have more fun with it and can use it anytime........:)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #149566 by KCook
There is a difference in flavor. Macro work can be gear oriented, more technical. A wide angle is a wide angle, don't have to build up supporting gear. So WA could be seen as more of a "vision" thing.

no help Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 7 months ago #149572 by rmeyer7

Baydream wrote: SO MUCH depends on WHAT you are shooting. Give us a hint and we can give you a better answer. Also tell us what camera(s) you are using.
Budget will of course affect an appropriate response as you will want to get the best "glass" you can and still be able to afford food.

:agree:

If you plan on selling fine art photos, stock photos, etc., then you'll have more use for a macro. Same thing if you plan on shooting bugs or other tiny things. There are several good uses for it.

But if you're going to be shooting more landscapes, or events/weddings, a wide angle is an important lens to have. Of course a macro can be great for weddings as well, for artsy photos of the rings, flowers, etc. - but IMHO not as crucial.

I personally see the macro as more of a niche thing, while the wide angle is more universal. Most photographers have a genuine need for a wide angle but only some types of photography necessitate a macro.

12 years 7 months ago #149690 by Prago

effron wrote: Oh hell, get the macro. You'll have more fun with it and can use it anytime........:)

if we arent factoring in the type of shooting you look to do then i agree here :cheers:

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #149707 by Towcestermark
Most people asking the question haven't actually started to define their style or fixed on what they are shooting.

So I ask the same question - what next? Macro or wide angle?

12 years 7 months ago #149708 by rmeyer7

Towcestermark wrote: Most people asking the question haven't actually started to define their style or fixed on what they are shooting.

Excellent point.

12 years 7 months ago #149900 by lonehero83
Thanks guys for your advices it's like each comment had helped putting the pieces together :D
I have a Canon EOS 450D and now looking through my pics the landscape isn't something I'm crazy about but Macro is something else B)
so I'm going for Macro lens is there any recommendation :D
and again thanks guys :hug:
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #149952 by Towcestermark
Hmmm, yes - advice too please

12 years 7 months ago #150103 by crystal

lonehero83 wrote:

Thanks guys for your advices it's like each comment had helped putting the pieces together :D
I have a Canon EOS 450D and now looking through my pics the landscape isn't something I'm crazy about but Macro is something else B)
so I'm going for Macro lens is there any recommendation :D
and again thanks guys :hug:

Well since you decided on the macro lens... I have the Sigma 105mm macro lens and it has brought me nothing buy excellent shots. I love it!
12 years 7 months ago #150122 by ccy 58

Towcestermark wrote: Most people asking the question haven't actually started to define their style or fixed on what they are shooting.

Choose the lens on to which you think you will use more. If you enjoy getting up close and personal buy a macro lens.

12 years 7 months ago #150258 by SeraphX
Also depends on your budget, as with all lenses, more money will always buy much better gear and macro lenses well decent ones don't come very cheap, i had a similar quandry a few months ago, wasn't so impressed with my landscape work and kept being tempted by macro and wasted/invested a few hundred quid on a new Sigma 70-300 macro lens for my Nikon, the lens introduced me to very basic macro but it is also mildly good for some landscape and zoom work, think the macro function offers 1:2? might be 1:3 for true macro you really need 1:1 thats where the top end lenses are tbh. sorry for the mini essay lol

12 years 7 months ago #151289 by lonehero83
thanks every1,
I have read that macro can be useful for portrait pics too. I will start saving for my macro lens and I will be posting pictures once I buy it :P
12 years 7 months ago #151375 by Towcestermark
Still haven't had an answer to the, 'what do I buy next' question. I don't think it's a question of what do I want to shoot. It's a question of what do I buy to explore

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024