Photographing birds in flight

12 years 7 months ago #152529 by Lucky One
That's my theme for this weekend. I'm going to go out and try to photograph birds in flight. I would like to ask from the pro's or people that have experience what sort of set up are you using to photograph birds in flight? Let me give a couple scenarios:

1. Day time plenty of light
- how are you getting them near you, or are you just following them?
- what lens, camera settings are you using?
- is it ok to us bird feed to draw them in?

2. Getting darker and low light
- what lens are you using?
- are you using flash and if so have you had any luck with those flash extenders?

Any additional tips would be great. Thanks in advance for the help.

12 years 7 months ago #152618 by effron

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #152879 by Number 7
I want a 400mm lens, that will get really close to the action. But that lens is big pain on my budget. :S

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #152899 by MLKstudios
effie,

I got my first paid wedding coming up. What f/stop should I use, and should I shoot in Manual?

I want the pictures to come back perfect. ;)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 7 months ago #152908 by Baydream

MLKstudios wrote: effie,

I got my first paid wedding coming up. What f/stop should I use, and should I shoot in Manual?

I want the pictures to come back perfect. ;)

What the heck does this comment have to do with Birds in Flight?

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #152914 by MLKstudios
It ends with a wink. Was commenting on effron's "tome" remark. ;)

eta Bd, this is your area of expertise. Nothing else to add?

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 7 months ago #153044 by Scotty

MLKstudios wrote: It ends with a wink. Was commenting on effron's "tome" remark. ;)

eta Bd, this is your area of expertise. Nothing else to add?

Stop derailing threads please.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #153138 by Baydream
Thanks Scotty.

I have been giving these a lot of thought because I don't want to give a "flip" or incorrect answer. Bird flight paths can be unpredictable so I generally back off the zoom a bit and give myself a little "breathing room: for crops (too many cut off body parts lying around).
I use the faster shutter speed available under the light conditions and change metering to match the shy conditions. Shooting a dark bird against a bright but overcast sky can be a killer (no fill flash here) so I tend to use spot metering. If the sky is nice and blue and the gift of clouds is offered, I will switch metering.
Patience and observing flight patterns is important to getting multiple shots. I have been studying a family of Bald Eagles for the past six years to try to determine any indicators as to when they will take off (love those shots and use burst mode). Depending on the time of day and the tide (and the particular bird), I can generally predict the direction they will take but not WHEN they will fly. I thought I had discovered a "body language" clue but it turns out that motion means a poop, not a take-off :sick:
Anyway, patience, a steady hand, decent zoom lens and practice will get your shots,

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #153159 by photobod
I only get small birds in my back garden but they are way to fast to catch in flight, I am lucky if they stay on the feeder for more than a few seconds, once I am driving again there is a bird of prey centre about 5 miles down the road so I will try my luck there and report back, probably need to invest in a 400 mm lens myself but that wont be until I return to work next year.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 7 months ago #153166 by MLKstudios

Baydream wrote: Thanks Scotty.

I have been giving these a lot of thought because I don't want to give a "flip" or incorrect answer. Bird flight paths can be unpredictable so I generally back off the zoom a bit and give myself a little "breathing room: for crops (too many cut off body parts lying around).
I use the faster shutter speed available under the light conditions and change metering to match the shy conditions. Shooting a dark bird against a bright but overcast sky can be a killer (no fill flash here) so I tend to use spot metering. If the sky is nice and blue and the gift of clouds is offered, I will switch metering.
Patience and observing flight patterns is important to getting multiple shots. I have been studying a family of Bald Eagles for the past six years to try to determine any indicators as to when they will take off (love those shots and use burst mode). Depending on the time of day and the tide (and the particular bird), I can generally predict the direction they will take but not WHEN they will fly. I thought I had discovered a "body language" clue but it turns out that motion means a poop, not a take-off :sick:
Anyway, patience, a steady hand, decent zoom lens and practice will get your shots,

Better answer! :)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 7 months ago #153190 by Baydream

MLKstudios wrote:

Baydream wrote: Thanks Scotty.

Better answer! :)

Stop patronizing, Matthew. You had nothing to add. As I said, I THOUGHT about my response before firing off some flippant .,unrelated, or Googled-response.remark.

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #153192 by MLKstudios
It was a better answer, Bd. Lighten up. :)

eta You should have used "telephoto" not "zoom". A zoom lens can be all wide angle.

I didn't get that from Google either.

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 7 months ago #153241 by Scott Grant
Now that I have a good understanding of auto focus lock, I might try this myself. Will the camera's auto focus track a bird in flight also as you follow the bird with your camera?

12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #153245 by MLKstudios
Likely it will be at infinity. Just set the lens there.

If it's closer, you'll need to focus. Then you can use the camera's high-tech feature of track focus.

:)

Follow focus was once a skill we had to learn. Before AF and new tech.

You might also want to look into Back Button Focus (most cameras have this option). It makes focus and shoot a two step process.

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 7 months ago #153297 by icepics
I haven't tried to photograph birds in flight, but have done some panning and I mostly use manual cameras. I think it takes some practice. Maybe if you find you're using manual rather than auto focus you could practice on something else, cars going by or something - I used to practice w/out film in the camera to get the hang of it. Haven't used the technique a lot though.

Scotty and John, plenty of people get threads off topic, happens all the time on here; as moderators I think there needs to be some objectivity as you guys don't seem to getting on everybody about it when threads go OT. And a dry, sarcastic sense of humor tends to get lost or misinterpreted on message boards, I'm not sure it comes across as intended. You guys sometimes seem to not realize that something wasn't meant to be taken literally.

Sharon
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

In this guide to the bokeh effect, you’ll learn what bokeh is and the factors involved in creating it. You’ll also explore some beautiful example images to spark your creativity with bokeh!

May 16, 2024

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024